Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Day Trips from Montrose/La Crescenta/La Canada Flintridge area

Quote Originally Posted by dubl haul View Post
    huh? there are no browns there just wild rainbows please release all fish.

Andy
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. You are probably (most definitely I would assume) correct. The last fish I caught on Sunday did not have the distinct "pink streak" along the lateral line and was colored more darkly; it seemed more "brown-ish," and also was more spotted than the other fish I've caught there, so I figured it was a brown trout.

Is that common for rainbows to be so varied in color?

Remember, at best, I consider myself a beginner of beginners at this sport, so please, if I make a mistake on something, please let me know! Trout fishing is entirely new to me, and I'm interested in learning as much as possible.

Thanks,

Gusto

2. Default Re: Day Trips from Montrose/La Crescenta/La Canada Flintridge area

Yeah, coloring can vary quite a bit. Wild fish will always be more vividly colored than stocked fish. Sometimes stocked fish can be downright bland, it's something about what they're fed. Their coloring gets better as they live in the wild but I don't think it ever is as nice as a wild one. I don't know if they stock the stream where you were but maybe you caught a pretty freshly stocked fish.
    God does not subtract from man's allotted time those hours spent fishing.

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store

3. Default Re: Day Trips from Montrose/La Crescenta/La Canada Flintridge area

Rainbow colors adapt like a chameleon to their surroundings. Some of the bows on that stream even have a blackish purplish hue on there on their backs. Good to here you are getting into the fish. It can be a technical fishing experience.

They do not stock this area so it is important to release the fish.

Andy

4. Default Re: Day Trips from Montrose/La Crescenta/La Canada Flintridge area

Quote Originally Posted by gusto View Post
    The last fish I caught on Sunday did not have the distinct "pink streak" along the lateral line and was colored more darkly; it seemed more "brown-ish," and also was more spotted than the other fish I've caught there, so I figured it was a brown trout.

Is that common for rainbows to be so varied in color?
    There are some dark bottomed pools, and the rainbows living there will be much darker, almost black on their backs. The pink lateral line is common, but rainbows do not always have them.

Once you've caught one, you'll never confuse a rainbow and a brown trout again. Here's one:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12