Big Bear Fly Fishing?

gusto

Reaction score
Anyone ever fly fish up near Big Bear?

I was looking on my GPS software (Topo 8), and they had a place called Holcomb Creek listed with fish waypoint. You have to take the fireroads out towards Holcomb Valley to get there. Anyone ever try it?

I have one other question about fishing the lake. Some guy told me you're not supposed to release carp if caught. Is this true?

Thanks,

Gusto

gusto

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up on my other post in case others were interested.

I managed to get up to Big Bear Lake, albeit a bit late, on Saturday the 19th of June, 2010. I didn't get to fish for more than 45 minutes due to some other obligations, and my primary objective was to try and catch some carp on my flyrod.

Now I know that might sound odd to most people, seeing as the lake is stocked with rainbows, bass, and catfish, but after reading that carp were "the poorman's bonefish," I was intrigued.

Previously, while kayaking, I had entered Grouse Bay, which is an inlet to Big Bear Lake. I had seen some fish breaking the surface in this area, and due to the murkiness of the water, I was thinking they were probably carp.

Well, I was correct.

While finding an access spot, I saw multiple fish, probably 15+ inches, leeping completely out of the water with that distinctive yellowish, brown underbelly. I tossed on my wader and waded out about 15 feet to clear the trees and started casting a #10 Oslive Woolly Bugger. The only thing I saw prowling the surface were dragonflies, occasionally, so I wasn't exactly sure what the fish were biting at.

After about 10-15 minutes of sightcasting with no bites, I switched over to an Adams to try and entice the fish, but still to no avail. I figured maybe the #12 adams might be a bit large, so I went with a #20 Griffith's Gnat, but still couldn't even get a strike despite fish literally leeping out of the water.

It was about this time the sun hit the water just right and I could see a couple of feet below the surface.... Jesus, was it freaky. Carp, big carp, were just about EVERYWHERE around me. Literally dozens just cruising the bottom, all in excess of 15 or so inches.... It was almost like they were surrounding me, getting ready for an attack or something.

After a couple of more minutes I was off the water and back to family obligations, but on the way back to the car I saw a couple of bowhunters heading out into the bay. I knew that carp were the only fish you could bowhunt for, so I stopped to see what the situation was.

Lucky for me, the bowhunter was also a flyfisher, so he understood what I was talking about when I mentioned the Woolly Bugger. He told me carp were a serious problem in the lake because they are spawning at an incredible rate and eating many of the trout eggs, along with the smallmouth bass and baby catfish. On some days, he claimed, he has killed up to 200 carp in a single day bowfishing, and during the "carp round-up" rallies they frequently exceed a couple thousand carp in a single day (that would be the total for all participants). He said you are definitely NOT supposed to release any carp caught, but I told him I couldn't even get one to bite. He said they mostly "chew on the muck and the algae." Did I mention this guy had a huge machete attached to his belt, too? Yikes.

What I did learn about the flyfishing up at Big Bear is you have to head off out on the fireroads and look for some pocketwater along some of the tributaries that lead to both Big Bear Lake and Arrowhead. So that will be my next foray when I get the chance.

I found casting on Big Bear Lake a little difficult because of the wind. Even on a calm day my casting is mediocre. Add in some wind, and it gets downright dangerous. This was the first time I had to cross my right arm over to my left side and cast. A little weird at first, but I was getting the hang of it.

In hindsight, I probably should have stuck with the Woolly Bugger. I read later it's a fair resemblance of dragonfly nymphs. Go figure?

Gusto

snowwolf

Reaction score
Hey Gusto thanks for the post of big bear. yeh I tried to fish it once with no luck as well and yeh the wind was crazy at the time. I didn't have a boat or Pontoon so couldn't really get on the water.

Have you fished the Arrowhead yet? any good up that way?

Tree Catcher

Reaction score
Us normal people can't fish in Lake Arrowhead. Only people that own property up there can fish in Arrowhead. That being said there is still very good flyfishing in the area, just not on the lake. Bad part is that the summer locals will be innertubing and partying in the waters.
Sean

snowwolf

Reaction score
hey Sean yeh kinda had to deal with that a little bit in deep creek...but all was good....even had some swimmers tell me there were some nice trout in the hole they were swimming in

snowwolf

Reaction score
well went up to Holcom creek this weekend and was thinking there is no fish in this little tiny creek....boy was I surprised. I saw one of the biggest rainbows in my life at least 20ish and had a bunch of smaller ones around him in a small hole. But at that time of day they just were not bitting...had fund caught prob a dozen of so over 10 inch ones
thinking of camping up there for the holidays or maybe go up to Bishop

rcsmyth

Reaction score
I have wed and thurs off work so i think I'll drive up and get some fishing in I'm thinking of camping Ive got a few campgrounds in mind but if anyone has any suggestions to ones close to the creeks that would be helpful, Im going to head for the arrowhead area Im sure you all know the creeks im talking about. I'll be sure to get a report going on my return.
Thanks

millergunn

Reaction score
I'm headed up there in a couple of weeks to camp for a night or 2, and want to fly fish as well. Any advice on creeks/campsites would be appreciated.

Tree Catcher

Reaction score
Most of the local creeks are running at drought stages and they are too warm for the fishes health. If you have a float tube it would probably be best to float tube the lake. I will probably be out there on Saturday if I can escape from work.

Sean

cocoaandme

Reaction score
I don't know if this is frowned upon here but I know that in the UK some people use a kind of bait and switch tactic when fly fishing for carp. They will throw food pellets in to get the carp feeding at the surface and then use a fly that imitates the food pellets. It can be very effective obviously but I guess sportsmanship is called into question. Is this method illegal here? I've never fly fished for carp so I don't know. But I am looking to starting it up as my friend seems to be addicted to it and I suspect for good reason.

milt spawn

Reaction score
I believe this practice (chumming), is illegal in all CA inland waters with the possible exception of the Salton Sea. milt.

cocoaandme

Reaction score
I've heard that fly fishing for carp at Lake Isabella is pretty good. Have you tried going there?

bucky86

Reaction score
Bumping this thread. My parents live up there and wanted to see if I could take my fly rod and go fishing anywhere nearby? My dad said somebody mentioned wild fish below the dam, but he wasn't sure if they were still there.

Anybody have any idea if it's worth bringing a fly rod up there?

jplee3

Reaction score
Bumping this thread. My parents live up there and wanted to see if I could take my fly rod and go fishing anywhere nearby? My dad said somebody mentioned wild fish below the dam, but he wasn't sure if they were still there.

Anybody have any idea if it's worth bringing a fly rod up there?

Bumping this as well. Considering taking a trip up there in September but not sure about the fishing. I've heard a little south there's good fishing along the Santa Ana River close to and throughout Bear Creek.

Anyone have pointers?