Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: socal mnts

Default socal mnts

yesterday was my only day off, and with the 4th coming up I'll be really busy with work the next 4-5 days so I thought I,d go explore another creek I've never been to.
    I left home at about 5:15 and after a couple hrs had traded asphalt for dirt roads.

The drive in took me through some stunning socal scenery which is still as green as I've seen in a few years

I happened on a few other critters along the way a few quail which seem to be paired up still although I did not see any young.
    Then this cal king snake,

Then finally I hit the water and started to fish ,took me a while to land my first fish although I did miss a few strikes at my dry fly,

heres my best fish of the day and my favorite pic of the day to top it off

Hope you enjoy.
    Thanks

Default Re: socal mnts

Awesome! We have some fantastic wilderness areas within a few hours’ drive, especially once you get off the beaten path. Looks like you had a grand adventure; nice fish too.
    Time flies like an arrow, trout flies like a river.

Blog Entries

Cool looking back country. Thanks for posting the great looking photos. The SE desert areas of Wyoming are still green also which is very unusual for this time of year, but we had a very wet spring. Congrats on the nice looking fish!

Larry

4. Default Re: socal mnts

Great pictures. Was this in the San Berdoos or the San Gabriels? I don't recognize the area.

That Cal King is SCARY!

Gusto

this was up in the san bernadino nat forest great little creek I'll be going back for sure got a couple others to go check out maybe this week coming, I like running into snakes especially ones that dont rattle but even theyre cool.

Blog Entries

rcsmyth: I hate snakes and try to avoid them the best I can!

Larry

7. Default Re: socal mnts

Nice snake, even better are the pics of the fish. Atleast when the fish bite you don't need medical attention. I hate friggin snakes, have had too many encounters with them. Nothing like putting your hand on the rocks above you and climb up over said rocks, only to see a snake slither off. I really like the fish in that creek though. Can't wait until i can get back in those mountains in about two months.

Sean

snakes can be unnerving but I do come a cross them frequently, I am a big upland hunter and come a cross them in the early fall at least a couple a year, its a good reminder to keep your wits about you and watch where your hands and feet go

That rattler is the same size that took a strike at me on the Little Big Horn a couple of weeks ago (2 1/2-3 feet). It rattled, struck, recoiled then never made another sound, and didn't run. My buddy said that it was close. I didn't see the strike, but we checked it out from a distance afterward.

I was working on a job doing restoration work on a Frank Lloyd Wright building just outside of Napa when I felt something snag my pants. I looked down to see a small (12 - 14") rattle snake slithering away.

He struck at me and got my levi's, when he pulled away that was the snag I felt. He was next to a planter in front of the house.

I was very lucky. Any one that knows about these critters knows that being struck by a juvenile is the most dangerous. They have little control over their venom glands so they just do a full venom dump on every thing they bite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast