Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nor-Cal/San Diego spots

Default Nor-Cal/San Diego spots

Hi Everyone,
    I will be traveling to northern Califonia(Sacramento area) and San Diego in late February and early March. I am looking for some ideas on where I can do some fishing and hopefully catching.
    While the Truckee and Sacramento River rainbows have some appeal, to be honest as an Alaskan...I have caught tons of big rainbows and am looking for some variety.

Are there any good bass(large and small mouth) spots?

What is the sturgeon situation in the Sacramento or other nearby rivers?

We have no brown trout here, where are the good spots for them?

Lastly, is there any decent salt water spots from shore in San Diego?

I am not looking to do a guided trip or anything. I will be on vacation and working. So I am cool with stocked lakes, just looking for some places to cast a line with the ability to catch something I dont have up here.

I sincerely appreciate any responses ahead of time, and if anyone is interested, I would be happy to offer any of the numerous special spots in AK if anyone is making the trip north.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Nor-Cal/San Diego spots

Around San Diego there are some very good Largemouth Bass spots. Lake Poway by San Diego has enormous Florida strain Bass. They have caught them in there up in the 20 pound zone. Some of the lakes in the Northern California have them like that as well. Big Cliff in another thread posted a picture of one from N. Cal. that was bigger than the IGFA all tackle 25 lb. Largemouth. It was built like a green pony keg. The guy didn't want to kill it so he had the wife run down a bathroom scale and subtracted his weight. It doesn't qualify as a record because of the way he did it. Some have mistaken gravity as hurting it's belly, but it was just a very fat fish being held in a proper manner, and only an insane person would not take a photo of a fish that big. I'd blow off the Trout and target those.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

I went and got the photo.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nor-Cal/San Diego spots

Nerka: Send a PM to moscapescador (Dennis), he works in a fly shop in Sacramento and can provide some excellent advice on where to fly fish in the local area.
    Larry