Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Deep Creek (Fail)

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and just got into fly fishing around October 2011. Have fished SG River WF numerous times and have had decent success and decided to try Deep Creek....

I entered the creek from the lower section (around the Mojave dam), and hiked about a mile or two. The winds were gusting all day long, and I only saw about 3 rises. Caught nothing. Didn't see much in terms of insects hatching either.

Should I start near Holcomb Creek next time? Are winds gusting through all year like this? Advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. Default Re: Deep Creek (Fail)

Do you own or have access to a 4WD vehicle?
    fly-fishing (flI'fish"ing)- n. a method of angling using an artificial fly as a lure while freezing, sweating, swatting or swearing.

3. Default Re: Deep Creek (Fail)

Unfortunately, I do not. Is it easier to get into the prime locations starting from Lake Arrowhead area? (rather than entering from the lower section)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Deep Creek (Fail)

Hi,

I can't help with your local rivers but will say; Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll visit some other threads and post more.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Default Re: Deep Creek (Fail)

Ytotani

Check your PM.
    fly-fishing (flI'fish"ing)- n. a method of angling using an artificial fly as a lure while freezing, sweating, swatting or swearing.

6. Default Re: Deep Creek (Fail)

Quote Originally Posted by ytotani View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and just got into fly fishing around October 2011. Have fished SG River WF numerous times and have had decent success and decided to try Deep Creek....

I entered the creek from the lower section (around the Mojave dam), and hiked about a mile or two. The winds were gusting all day long, and I only saw about 3 rises. Caught nothing. Didn't see much in terms of insects hatching either.

Should I start near Holcomb Creek next time? Are winds gusting through all year like this? Advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Ive been fly fishing deep creek from the mojave damn entrance the past couple weeks. Fishing here is no easy task. Theirs no trails, you have to manuver over rocks, hills and just wade through the river. Unlike san g where u pull up to a parking lot and walk along a paved road. Fishing in near arrowhead is good too. I did it last year and caught 3 rainbows. I will end up their this year eventually because it will be too hot to fish the lower end. Im still in the process of exploring it all myself. Last time I was their their was a may fly hatch going off which was good too see.
    Last edited by donniemeyer20; 05-20-2012 at 09:14 PM.

The way I view it is that fishing is often affected by a degree of luck. Some days the fish are luckier than the fishermen. It could have just been one of those days....
    - Rick

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

8. Default Re: Deep Creek (Fail)

I go there often, If you are having problems catching fish, change tactics or areas of the creek. Early reports have the diaper hatch starting early this year. With the lack of rain and snow, the water will be getting too warm for the fish to stress. If you want to get out and fish the locals let me know I go just about every weekend to different waters.

Sean

Not trying to be a jerk, and several on this forum who know me can attest to that, but how about keeping the name and specifics a little more low key? With the number of bait slinging trolls out there, it won't help to be hotspotting any successes on that water.

Thanks,
    Curtis
    I fish, therefore, I drink...

10. Default Re: Deep Creek (Fail)

I hear you. I know their are alot of irresponsible people that can ruin a good trout stream.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast