Also new to forum and area of Riverside

snowwolf

Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to say hello and that im new to the area. Will be here for the next couple of years on a transmission project. Im a wildlife biologist. Is anyone here a member of the local Redlands fly group? I am trying to get to the next meeting if work allows.

Dann

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

oh also looking for places to go near the riverside area...prob in SB areas right??

not looking for anyone sweet spot...I do catch and release all I catch as well.

thnx in advance...also looking for others that like to go out in small groups as well.

anyone have any fav places to camp too.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dann: Welcome to the forum! I hope one of the
CA members chimes in and provides some information for you.

Larry

Tree Catcher

Reaction score
Dann, you might be thinking of Deep Creek Fly Fishers. Its a local club, whose meetings are in Riverside. The club meet up on the fourth Wednesday of every month except in December. Meetings start at 7 P.M. promptly.
Come early and don't be late or you will miss out. If you can make it, stop by the store and introduce yourself, Shouldnt be hard to find me, I am the one with the leg brace on.
This months speaker on 28 Jul – Sharks and Beyond in San Diego, Jeff Stock, Owner, Stock Charters

Meetings are held at

Isaac Walton Clubhouse
2710 Dexter Drive
Fairmount Park
Riverside, Ca.

Hope to see you there
Sean

snowwolf

Reaction score
Hey Guys thanks so much for the warm welcome.

Gusto I might try and hit up Bear Creek next weekend if I have a chance.
I did get a chance to go up to Deep Creek today and had a blast...the trip kinda started out ruff though..I ended all the up the 173 all the way past Arrowhead lake and into Hespria ....I felt kinda silly going all the way back into Arrowhead and found the road that lead into it.

I caught quite a few small ones with nothing bigger then 8inches. But everything I was putting in they were hitting on. Was kinda of testing to see what they wouldn't take. Even had a chance to walk around the town a little bit after wards. Very nice and good food too boot.
I did forget my camera but had my phone on me so took a couple of the creek.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Sean why in the heck did I think it was in Redlands....:shocking:

well thats cool its even closer then to me...L

dubl haul

Reaction score
Sweet. I scoped out the road that leads down to it, which is the Glory Ridge Road, just off the highway on the way into Big Bear Lake. The tricky part part is the road dead-ends at a plateau, then you have to figure out how to get down to the creek... Should be interesting!

The placemark here is the end of the trail, from there you have to get down...

word to the wise careful what you post on the internet the locations mentioned are threatened with a population that it could not withstand. Use the private message system.

Andy

gusto

Reaction score
word to the wise careful what you post on the internet the locations mentioned are threatened with a population that it could not withstand. Use the private message system.

Andy
Hey Andy,

I completely agree with keeping certain information on some spots on the "down-low." In fact, I've PM'd some people about some spots I've heard of that I haven't seen listed anywhere in literature or on this site. Not to mention I've got a long list of spots I've identified with my GPS software that I want to check out that I'm not telling anyone about. (Don't bother PM'ing me, I'm not telling. :D)

As far as Deep and Bear Creek are concerned, though, there's already ample information on both scattered around the internet. Not to mention they're listed in multiple Southern California fishing guides, so I hardly think it unjust to "reveal" info. regarding those two spots.

Especially in regard to Bear Creek, you're talking a minimum 7-9 mile hike with around 2000-3000 feet of elevation gain/loss, plus route finding capabilities to get down to the creek. Honestly, I'm surprised that one even shows up in various guidebooks, but it does. Just with the hike-in you're already going to exclude probably 90% of the anglers out there.

Let's face it... most of the population doesn't want to walk from one side of a parking lot to the grocery store, much less trek 4 or 5 miles in and half a vertical mile down to go fishing.

Gusto

Tree Catcher

Reaction score
Let's face it... most of the population doesn't want to walk from one side of a parking lot to the grocery store, much less trek 4 or 5 miles in and half a vertical mile down to go fishing.

Gusto

Most people will not look into a book where they have to pay for the information. Sometimes its too easy and free to find someone's honey hole on the internet.
I for one would like to be able to take grandkids there in about 20 years and not have it be a litter box like some of the local waters that are well known. Lytle Creek is a perfect example of one place. I am convinced that that creek was created in a dump.

Sean

gusto

Reaction score
Most people will not look into a book where they have to pay for the information. Sometimes its too easy and free to find someone's honey hole on the internet.
I for one would like to be able to take grandkids there in about 20 years and not have it be a litter box like some of the local waters that are well known. Lytle Creek is a perfect example of one place. I am convinced that that creek was created in a dump.

Sean
Hey Sean,

Looks like I've inadvertently stepped on more toes than I thought! I didn't realize that places listed to fish in widespread literature were meant to be kept secret, and that sharing information to help fellow fisherman explore said places was a such disdainful topic.

I too would like to share these places with my children, and I assure you had I even the slightest inclination that posting something on this forum would lead to their demise, I wouldn't have posted it.

That said, I thought the point of even having a forum in the first place was to share information with others in hopes of gaining knowledge that would otherwise be elusive. I see, however, the goal of this forum is somewhat contrary to what I had originally thought.

Doesn't sound like I'll have much to contribute....

I wish everyone good fishing, and I'll be sure NOT to share information regarding where to fish, what to fish, or how to fish any spot. This way, no place will be trampled with hoards of people...

Gusto

Tree Catcher

Reaction score
Gusto, by all means it is a forum where people can and will share info. Its just usually done by PM or by going out with other people. I usually fish alone and would welcome the company. But you have to realise that we have several million people around in the greater LA area. Not all of them are going to be so nice about our fishing spots. All it takes is for one poacher to screw it up. I for one would gladly show someone a spot if I could at the moment.

I for one have hotspotted in the past and had the proverbial hand slap. I also understand why you don't name certain waterways. You have to understand that some people don't care. They will place nets across the river, and more destructive things to kill ALL of the fish in the river. Some just go to swim but leave there trash behind, scribble there name on the rocks, walkways and roads. I have also seen them kill a harmless snake.

If you don't belive me on how bad the trash is on some waterways, join up a river cleanup in the near future. You will get a better understanding of the local waters and will meet people that are into helping the local waters. That and there is always time to fish at the end of the clean up.

Again I am really trying not to discourage you from fishing, far from it. I would gladly invite you along to show some areas. I would welcome anyone that wanted to tag along. Just don't expect to go to my honeyholes on the first day.

Sean

dubl haul

Reaction score
I'm not saying don't help each other out I'm saying be cautious what you put on the net and for sensitive areas (like ALL OF THE ONES YOU MENTIONED) do it with private messages. Do yourself a favor and don't spoil it. Loose Lips Sink Ships. I understand you want to share your victories with like minded people just be aware not everyone that will read it will be your friend. Pretty sure Team 57 reads this.

Andy