New to Fly Fishing any Suggestions

bsmith95610

Reaction score
I'm new to fly fishing just bought a pole and a few flies and was looking for somewhere good to go to this weekend or next weekend. I live in Sacramento, CA does anyone know of any good streams for trout around Sacramento? Currently I am thinking about going up to the truckee river but I'm not sure where most people fish up there? I know the river runs along hwy 80 but am not sure if I should try fishing above or below the town of truckee. Any help would be appreciated.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone here can provide some assistance. I've never fished the Truckee but have heard that it can be a challenge. Do a search to see if there are any local fly fishing clubs in your area or maybe a Trout Unlimited Chapter, you might ask at the local fly shops. If you can get someone to mentor you in the basics your learning curve will go way up.
Good luck!

Larry

winxp_man

Reaction score
The Yuba River is pretty good right now...... Run some hopper flies and might get you some nice size trout!

If you have heavier gear steelhead half pounders are running a little in the American River.

bsmith95610

Reaction score
Where do people normally fish in the Yuba river? Is there specific places that most people go to? I don't need your specific fishing holes but just a general direction of where I should go. I looked online and found some people park under the highway 20 bridge then hike a mile or two upriver. Then I also saw if you have a four wheel drive you can also drive down river. Would one of those two places be a good place to start?

dhayden

Reaction score
Another close place to you is Putah Creek, on H-128 just west of Winters. Starts just below the dam for Lake Berryessa.

Never been great for me, but it was close when I lived in Elk Grove

platte_fisher

Reaction score
Hello there! I don't live in CA anymore, but I used to and as a kid I used to fly fish the small rivers in the South Lake Tahoe area and have been fishing mountain rivers for a long time there and mainly in Colorado. From my experience the small creeks around there (Glen Alpine and Taylor Creek to name a couple) will produce a lot of fishing fun and are a great place to start for a beginner.

I've never been to the Truckee, but S Lake Tahoe area is in a somewhat similar area and about the same distance from Sac. So my two cents:

Large rivers can be a bit tough especially for a beginner. Smaller rivers have certain advantages: much easier to read water, easier to spot fish, easier to wade & cover water, easier to practice and understand the importance of presentation, and you will see the fruit of your learned knowledge quickly and thus can graduate to larger rivers with a solid foundation of fly fishing basics.

When fishing small mountain rivers/streams you have a lot of places for fish to hold. The runs and seams of the fast water and slower water on the side is usually a good place to cast. If a pool opens up and you have a nice rock in the river it is almost certain to have fish holding behind it and often in front of it. You can get some really good dead drifts with your dry or wet flies and if your presentation is good you will pull out many fish on a trip. They aren't always huge 8lb trout, but 10-16 inch fish should be quite common and a lot of fun.

To be honest even out in Colorado I tend to have the most fun on the smaller rivers just because of the ease of reading the water and finding holding spots for fish. I pull in way more fish on those smaller streams than when I go to the bigger S Platte or Arkansas rivers. That being said it is also a hoot to have a 20+ inch trout on the end of your line from one of the bigger rivers, but without the fundamentals I learned in the smaller mountain rivers around S Lake Tahoe and then in Colorado I would have very poor results from the bigger rivers. Even with my background and experience I catch WAY less fish in the large rivers than I do in the small ones (some of it has to do with the huge amount of pressure the big rivers in CO get, some of it is that it is harder to read the water and get your flies to the right depth and presentation).

So as a beginner I would recommend finding some smaller mountain streams with good rocks, pools, runs, and varying water characteristics. When you start catching 10-20 fish on an outting in those then you have probably learned enough to start venturing towards those bigger watersheds(rivers).

I have to say that if you are new to this go get this book: The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing. Very good book and straight to the meat of the matter. No wasted time reading about nonsense. It's basically just tip after tip and gives you a ton of knowledge to try out in a very short time.

So thats my advice, I hope it helps you and good luck!

Last edited:

fivefingers

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I live in Rocklin, myself. There are a lot of opportunities to fly fish in the northern CA area!

Right now Steelhead are 'the big thing', but a trout rod might be a bit small. You can nymph for them on on an indicator by the hatchery side of the American at Nimbus, but the fish are finicky and don't often take (unless you're drifting roe).

When it warms up a bit the Tahoe streams are a fantastic area to learn to fish. The east fork of the Carson river is stocked a lot and, though they aren't wild fish, you can learn your presentation and casting technique on that river since there are many different pools you can chose from. I wouldn't recommend the Truckee for other than practice; it's a very technical water, very fished, and the trout are almost all residents who have seen every fly under the sun (there's a reason why you see the guides show pictures of the same fish in the hands of different people). Another overlooked spot is the north fork American (Kyburz and higher). You can pretty much hike in from anywhere off of 50 to the river and fish. At most pools you'll find a brown, brook or rainbow hiding in it. It's a little known fact that you're allowed to hike into the river wherever you want - the cabins are private property but they're sitting on forest service land so you're clear to walk past them.

And before you know it, Shad season will be upon us (begins around April-May). You can have 40+ fish days on the American. A 7 or 8 weight does the trick for them.

mikel

Reaction score
Spend some time talking with these guys:

Kiene’s Fly Shop
2654 Marconi Ave.
Sacramento, CA 95821

This is a very positive and helpful shop. They'll provide tons of answers including some you won't even know the questions for yet...nice people and good selection.

bsmith95610

Reaction score
I'll definitely try that fly shop out. I will also try the my it's area out since that's closer to my house. Are there any specific spots by kyburz or is it good to just try right there along the freeway where you can see the river.

fishstick91

Reaction score
A few years ago, all of the forks and tributaries of the American river were opened year around with catch and release only during the winter months. The north and middle forks can be good starting this time of year when flows are low like this year. Below Ralston afterbay on the middle fork and Yankee Jim's, Iowa Hill, or Euchre Bar on the North Fork. I'm from Cool (yes there really is a Cool, California, named after a gold rush era preacher) and also new to the forum. I'm glad to see I'm in the company of locals

I would agree that the Truckee is a hard place to start and pretty cold this time of year.

Andy