Silver Lake or Caples Lake

bsmith95610

Reaction score
I'm going to be staying somewhere this weekend that is close to Silver Lake & Caples Lake and was wondering which lake is better for fly fishing. Does anyone have any recommendations of which lake to go to and what fly's to use?

nickel

Reaction score
Hard to say which is better. I like to fish Caples where caples creek comes in on the eastern side. It can be productive and fun sight casting for cruisers around the big rocks with a fast sink line. I usually run a 12' leader and tie on swimming nymphs, matukas, damsel nymphs, J fair wiggle tails, and casual dress sizes 10-12. Kirkwood lake is also a fun little lake to fish.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Woods Creek inflow near the boat ramp. Stand on the rocks and take shots at cruising fish. Nickel's suggestions are good ones. I usually use buggers and soft hackles with an intermediate sink. A dry with a dropper is effective, too.

Dennis

bsmith95610

Reaction score
Thanks for the information I appreciate it. Is the Woods Creek inflow on the East side of the lake as well or is this a different creek than what nickel was talking about?

nickel

Reaction score
Woods creek is on the eastern south end of the lake. You can access it by taking woods lake road off of hwy 88 it is another good section to fish the lake as well. Woods lake would be another water to try too.