Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piru Creek (North of LA)

1. Default Piru Creek (North of LA)

I used to fish Piru creek quite a bit when I was younger. I recently moved back into the area and I keep hearing that there's no fish there. I went up there a few weeks ago and managed to catch a few on the evening rise but the fish were all very small and mostly emaciated. I know that they stopped stocking Piru Creek quite a while ago but why are the wild fish struggling so much? Has anyone else been up to Piru Creek recently?

Default Re: Piru Creek (North of LA)

3. Default Re: Piru Creek (North of LA)

Quote Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
    The issues with flow, pollution and poaching have always been there though haven't they? What has changed to make Piru so desolate now? Also no one seems to be fishing Piru now so shouldn't the lack of pressure help the wild fish?

Blog Entries

Maybe the flow issues (as the article mentioned) have become worse than they were in the past. That is a pretty common issue on tailwaters until the sportsman complain loud enough and are able get minimum flow arrangements from the folks that manage the dam.

Larry
    Larry

5. Likes fredaevans liked this post
  6. Default Re: Piru Creek (North of LA)

I see. Does anyone still fish Piru? I didn't see anyone there when I went up but it was a weekday. Are there any other good local waters near the Los angeles area? I've been to the San Gabriel but it's a little far and my friend said it has been suffering too.

I fished it this week and caught a 5 inch monster. The smallest was 2.5 inches. Lots of micros smacking flies on top. It was empty except for one couple. I'm not sure why they don't get big, but my guess is low flows and meat sticks.
    I am, Sir, a Brother of the Angle, and therefore an enemy of the Otter: for you are to note, that we Anglers all love one another, and therefore do I hate the Otter both for my own, and their sakes who are of my brotherhood.

8. Default Re: Piru Creek (North of LA)

When I was there I saw a lot of crayfish in the water including many more baby ones. I figure if the trout could get big enough there they could start feeding on the baby crayfish and really put on some weight. But they don't seem to be getting past the 8 inch mark.

Also I heard that there are supposed to be some small mouth bass and bluegill there. Is this true? I've never seen any but if there are small mouth there they should definitely be taking advantage of the crayfish population.

9. Default Re: Piru Creek (North of LA)

Has anyone been up to Piru recently. I went up again and I still haven't seen any trout over 8 inches. I also found small freshwater shrimp (not scuds). There were a ton of them. There really is enough food to support larger fish so I am thinking there has to be some larger fish in there.

10. Default Piru Creek (North of LA)

Cocoa, I wouldn't personally know, nor would I ever advocate trespassing but the after bay at the dam outlet holds some interesting stuff. I would suggest going over to the San gab. If you're interested in fish that love biting holler. I'm always willing to share my spots with ppl and meet new friends.

Dave, btw I prefer nymph fishing.

This is a reason why I love living in Northern Kommiefornia A lot better fishing and close by from my house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast