Some Creek (North of LA)

cocoaandme

Reaction score
I used to fish Piru creek quite a bit when I was younger. I recently moved back into the area and I keep hearing that there's no fish there. I went up there a few weeks ago and managed to catch a few on the evening rise but the fish were all very small and mostly emaciated. I know that they stopped stocking Piru Creek quite a while ago but why are the wild fish struggling so much? Has anyone else been up to Piru Creek recently?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe the flow issues (as the article mentioned) have become worse than they were in the past. That is a pretty common issue on tailwaters until the sportsman complain loud enough and are able get minimum flow arrangements from the folks that manage the dam.

Larry

cocoaandme

Reaction score
I see. Does anyone still fish Piru? I didn't see anyone there when I went up but it was a weekday. Are there any other good local waters near the Los angeles area? I've been to the San Gabriel but it's a little far and my friend said it has been suffering too.

pilgrimdg

Reaction score
I fished it this week and caught a 5 inch monster. The smallest was 2.5 inches. Lots of micros smacking flies on top. It was empty except for one couple. I'm not sure why they don't get big, but my guess is low flows and meat sticks.

cocoaandme

Reaction score
When I was there I saw a lot of crayfish in the water including many more baby ones. I figure if the trout could get big enough there they could start feeding on the baby crayfish and really put on some weight. But they don't seem to be getting past the 8 inch mark.

Also I heard that there are supposed to be some small mouth bass and bluegill there. Is this true? I've never seen any but if there are small mouth there they should definitely be taking advantage of the crayfish population.

cocoaandme

Reaction score
Has anyone been up to Piru recently. I went up again and I still haven't seen any trout over 8 inches. I also found small freshwater shrimp (not scuds). There were a ton of them. There really is enough food to support larger fish so I am thinking there has to be some larger fish in there.

nymph0matic

Reaction score
Cocoa, I wouldn't personally know, nor would I ever advocate trespassing but the after bay at the dam outlet holds some interesting stuff. I would suggest going over to the San gab. If you're interested in fish that love biting holler. I'm always willing to share my spots with ppl and meet new friends.

Dave, btw I prefer nymph fishing.

shimloom

Reaction score
My first flyfishing trip was on Piru creek over 30 years ago. Back then there were more fish, cleaner conditions. Last time I was there the trash, baby dippers and beer cans put me off from ever going back. Sad to hear the creek is not doing so good. Perhaps a group of people can come together and get the place back in shape.
Craig

Cheyneskeezer

Reaction score
Any recent news? Is the catch and release section still from Frenchman’s camp to the damn? Seeems hard to believe that area isn’t gutted with people poaching fish being right off the 5

flytie09

Reaction score
Perhaps the word got out and folks went in there and caught them all. That's what happens when we discuss fragile ecosystems online. It may have been fun once.....but not when you go back. How there is a trout within 200 miles of LA would be a mystery to me.

Cheyneskeezer

Reaction score
Hardly think a fly forum is the detriment to a ecosystem. All for keeping spots hidden and willing to pM

you can easily google anything the number one video that comes up is of a conservation group electro shocking for a study.

Perhaps sharing the catch and release info trash pick up gatherings and writing our state would help.
I do not consider bringing up a old post about a spot a stones throw from the largest interstate in California is a make or break it l situation.

Reactions: jbe

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Caught a 2lb trout out of there about 30 years ago. I'm sure there are hidden gems in the local mtn. streams but they are few and hard to find. It really isn't worth it when there is a whole ocean full of fish.

flytie09

Reaction score
We can agree to disagree. Think the internet hasn’t effected the quality of the fishing in your creek or stream? Right. Naming not too well known places on the internet is not a good idea regardless of how close to 8 million people it is. Many (not all) people would never go out of their way to find Puckerbush Creek if it weren’t for a quick easy google search and information they might find.

All of the well known rivers like the Madison, Henrys Fork, San Juan, Delaware, et al….. have been written about for 100 years. They can handle an extra person or 10. Not a remote trickle 45 min from LA.

The fact people feel that technology has brought them complete entitlement to unlimited information on waterways I simply don’t comprehend. Yeah it’s public……how It’s fishing isn’t public knowledge.

BTW…. It looks like a beautiful spot.

Cheyneskeezer

Reaction score
We can agree to disagree. Think the internet hasn’t effected the quality of the fishing in your creek or stream? Right. Naming not too well known places on the internet is not a good idea regardless of how close to 8 million people it is. Many (not all) people would never go out of their way to find Puckerbush Creek if it weren’t for a quick easy google search and information they might find.

All of the well known rivers like the Madison, Henrys Fork, San Juan, Delaware, et al….. have been written about for 100 years. They can handle an extra person or 10. Not a remote trickle 45 min from LA.

The fact people feel that technology has brought them complete entitlement to unlimited information on waterways I simply don’t comprehend. Yeah it’s public……how It’s fishing isn’t public knowledge.

BTW…. It looks like a beautiful spot.
respect your opinion everything’s changing I guess.I was no way trying to exploit….. sometimes I forget this is in fact a public forum though I never seem to find anything leading this way via google it’s always searching the search tab here.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For instance: This thread has been dormant since February of 2013 but somehow you found it? I may be taking a stretch here but I suspect you found the thread because the name of the creek was contained in the title. The only other way would be for someone to just sit around clicking and reading every post from 2013 which doesn't seem logical.

We can argue whether naming these little creeks on social media matters or not but I'll be looking for every thread title that reads like directions to a fishery and then editing the titles so they are benign.

Cheyneskeezer

Reaction score
Correct driving by it on my way to a out of town job and searched via the fly forums search bar. Google has a lot of cal.gov info

not arguing social media for sure has effected everything

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Correct driving by it on my way to a out of town job and searched via the fly forums search bar. Google has a lot of cal.gov info

not arguing social media for sure has effected everything
Watch your six. There are lots of druggies etc. in the more remote areas and lots of cars get broken into....it's L.A.! The bay area has the same problem on its close streams. Everything has gotten worse as criminals have gotten more bold.