Yosemite National Park fly fishing

andy1270

Reaction score
I'm traveling on business to California in July and plan to stay a few extra days at Yosemite National Park. I've just recently started fly fishing and I'm an amateur photographer, so I plan to visit some picturesque areas of the park. I really have enjoyed getting into fly fishing since fishing with a guide in the Smoky Mountain National Park.

Can anyone give me advice on areas to fish for rainbows or brown trout? I'll be taking my waders, boots, and 5wt 9' TFO rod with a Sage 1650 reel. I'm hoping to study up on flies to take too, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

ghocevar

Reaction score
The links provide good information above Andy. In addition to that, try searching the forum using the keyword "Yosemite"

I backpacked Yosemite in early August last year and there is no shortage of fishing in the park although it is not commonly thought of as a Fly fishing destination in the grand scheme of things.

A couple spots in the Valley area would be the Merced at Valley View. The Tuolumne River at Tuolumne Meadows is also a must and these 2 different rivers really give you a great basis to start with. They are also the most popular, but the Tuolumne will be the least crowded as 80% of visitors stay in the Valley. The Dana & Lyell Forks of the Tuolumne are good options too.

Good Luck!

k9mark

Reaction score
If I may, I wouldnt rule out a trip across saddlebag lake. There are numerous lakes you could day hike to fish over a couple days. If your lucky, you could catch a Sierra Grand Slam. Google saddleback and youll get numerous hits to check out, plus youll be away from the crowds.

L

Liphookedau

Hi Andy,Welcome to The Forum
You are in The Right Place For Info.
Although I don"t know if you'll have to be on The Lookout for Yogi ??
Brian.

andy1270

Reaction score
The links provide good information above Andy. In addition to that, try searching the forum using the keyword "Yosemite"

I backpacked Yosemite in early August last year and there is no shortage of fishing in the park although it is not commonly thought of as a Fly fishing destination in the grand scheme of things.

A couple spots in the Valley area would be the Merced at Valley View. The Tuolumne River at Tuolumne Meadows is also a must and these 2 different rivers really give you a great basis to start with. They are also the most popular, but the Tuolumne will be the least crowded as 80% of visitors stay in the Valley. The Dana & Lyell Forks of the Tuolumne are good options too.

Good Luck!
Thank you for your ideas on locations. I will spend some time studying up. It should be a beautiful place to visit.

jsquires

Reaction score
Keep in mind a couple of things: Yosemite is one of those "there's no fast way to get there from here" places - and there will be a ton of people in the Valley in July. Totally worth it, though, for the photography. If it were me, I'd go early and/or late in the day for the photography, before and after the crowds.
Back country is good for small, pretty trout. And I agree with K9mark about a ferry trip across Saddlebag Lake to the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness. Good fishing, good photo ops, and a lot less people.
And I wouldn't worry too much about the bears. Sometimes folks get Yosemite confused with Yellowstone. If you do camp out, you will need a bear cannister for your food. But it's not so much the bears are dangerous (although obviously any bear can be dangerous in a given situation), it's more that they've been "humanized" and are extremely clever about stealiing food.

pescador7

Reaction score
I plan to go to Yosemite during the second week of April when it's spring break for me. Can u guys offer some advice for fishing up there that time of year. I know that season for stream doesn't open until the last Saturday of April and ill be only able to fish lakes.

dhayden

Reaction score
And I wouldn't worry too much about the bears. Sometimes folks get Yosemite confused with Yellowstone. If you do camp out, you will need a bear cannister for your food. But it's not so much the bears are dangerous (although obviously any bear can be dangerous in a given situation), it's more that they've been "humanized" and are extremely clever about stealiing food.
+1

I've seen a few people, on different occasions, backpacking, lose all thier food.. no harm.. but it can be a long hungry hike back, and cutting back your vacation plans.. bears are smart :)