East Walker River, Bridgeport, CA

fishingdvm

Reaction score
Planning a trip in Oct to Bridgeport, CA. I have never been there so it's on my list to explore.

I have read about the Upper and Lower sections but just had a few questions to those that would be inclined to lend some advice.

1) The Upper portion: between Hwy 395 and the reservoir I have read much of the water is on private property. Is that section fishable? Do you have to contact someone for permission?

2) After the miracle mile; murphy pond. Looking for a little advice on fishing that hole. I had read that it is large, deep and slow. Would a float tube be useful in that pond or overkill.

Thanks in advance for your help. I try to research new areas but I've found that nothing is better than asking the experienced angler.

Doc

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Ditto to what Mike said.

I will add that you may want to consider fishing the Nevada side of the EW, as well.

I have heard that the river is flowing low and slow. If the water hits 70*F, you may want to go find a shady spot and drink a beer. Fishing will be no bueno especially for the fish.

Dennis

fishingdvm

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It's been a hot summer, that's why I'm making myself wait until Oct. Average highs are in the mid 60's and low's in the 20's then and if I'm lucky some early snow.

I'm a 68 degree'er. I'll check in with the local fly shop before my trip.

Thanks again.

mikel

Reaction score
It's been a hot summer, that's why I'm making myself wait until Oct. Average highs are in the mid 60's and low's in the 20's then and if I'm lucky some early snow.
If you're THERE for an early snow you'll need to know about Rhinos Bar where the only pool tables are found...Hays Street cafe for breakfast (they allow waders) and the Virginia Creek Settlement (near the road to Bodie on 395) for dinner. :)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
October is my favorite time of the year to fish the EW. Bring plenty of San Juan Worms and size 18 green Copper Johns. If the situation is right, look out for some great BWO hatches.

planettrout

Reaction score
I have been fishing the East Walker River since 1975. Talk to Jim Reid, the owner of Ken's in Bridgeport. The water conditions this year are awful, since the water content of the limited snow pack was 17% of normal.I have made a personal choice to not fish that river this year. The flows may be found here:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 10293000 E WALKER RV NR BRIDGEPORT, CA

In the last good water year, 2 years ago, it looked like this in the Miracle Mile section...

...it will not look anything like that when you are there...

PT/TB

von behr

Reaction score
I have been fishing the East Walker River since 1975. Talk to Jim Reid, the owner of Ken's in Bridgeport. The water conditions this year are awful, since the water content of the limited snow pack was 17% of normal.I have made a personal choice to not fish that river this year. The flows may be found here:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 10293000 E WALKER RV NR BRIDGEPORT, CA

In the last good water year, 2 years ago, it looked like this in the Miracle Mile section...

...it will not look anything like that when you are there...

PT/TB
PT,

I'll be up in the Bridgeport area in September, and plan to focus on stillwater fishing for this same reason. Hopefully, next year will be an entirely different scenario up there.

The EW gets plenty of pressure, especially in the miracle mile. I'll let it rest this time around...solid advice.

Thanks,

-VB :):)

mikel

Reaction score
I will add that you may want to consider fishing the Nevada side of the EW, as well.
Just saw a post on a Ca board about high temps (70+) by noonish on the Nev side too. I was over there recently and did not even take a look. Too much other good stuff to do there...-m

cvd

Reaction score
I’m going to be in the area in mid August (after running the Rubicon trail). I’ll have a couple days to spend between Tahoe and Bishop. I'd planned to try the East Walker, but am wondering if there are other good spots less impacted by low water???

planettrout

Reaction score
I’m going to be in the area in mid August (after running the Rubicon trail). I’ll have a couple days to spend between Tahoe and Bishop. I'd planned to try the East Walker, but am wondering if there are other good spots less impacted by low water???
Bring a tube or pontoon and work the higher lakes:

Image maps for Eastern Sierra Flyfishing Locations

PT/TB ;)

mikel

Reaction score
between Mammoth Lakes and the June Loop and Convict, Rock Creek, etc there are upwards of 20 beautiful lakes you can drive to and they are within an hour of watch other. Stay in/near Mammoth and be in the middle of it.

From many of those sites if you're willing to walk an hour you can be in special places. Buy a map. Visit the Troutfitter.

The Troutfitter & Trout Fly

They rent float tubes if you don't have one.

nocturnal

Reaction score
you can fish the upper section of the E. walker up to the second fence line, before it turns into private property. you may have some cows to deal with.

I just fished the miracle mile last week. Go early and late in the day. I managed about 5 or 6 browns to 16". (dry dropper rigs) You definitely do not need a float tube for any section of the river.

have fun, and make sure to talk with the guys at Ken's before you head out, they will set you up with what is working that time of the year.