Fishing in the Bar Area

06 KJ Sport

Reaction score
I have a friend that moved to the Bay Area a few months ago to work. I thought that I might ask to see if anybody could give a few places to go that would be relativly close for him to check out. He is looking for places that are 1-2 hours away and closer if possible.

Thanks for all of the help

MBWCC

Reaction score
I have a friend that moved to the Bay Area a few months ago to work. I thought that I might ask to see if anybody could give a few places to go that would be relativly close for him to check out. He is looking for places that are 1-2 hours away and closer if possible.

Thanks for all of the help
The closest trout stream to the SF Bay area, and the only trout stream of note within 2 hours of the SF Bay area, is a stretch of Putah Creek which runs out of Lake Berryessa eastward paralleling CA Hwy. 128 to Lake Solano (near Winters, CA). The best times to fish Putah Creek are Nov. 1 to March 1 when the flows are low. The only time to avoid in that period is during the large Gortex "hatch" which occurs right after Xmas.

Starting in early December when the rainbows begin moving up into the creek to spawn there will be some huge trout holding between the riffles. Tell your friend to park in the lot on the west side of the river where Hwy. 128 crosses the river just below the dam. Walk down the trail to the river bank just beneath the bridge and then fish downstream ~100 yards into the larger rapids dropping into the long slick water below. Fish should be collecting just below, in, and just above those rapids. Another spot to try is the faster water & runs just above the next county park parking area downstream (about a mile or so east on Hwy. 128).

Favorite flies on Putah Creek during the low water period are egg patterns (especially in the late Fall/Winter when the rainbows begin to think about spawning), a Fox's Poopah, and the usual assortment of midge's and BWO's.