Northern California Trip Advice Needed

puravida

Reaction score
Just moved back to California from Costa Rica and I would like to do some steelhead fishing up in northern California (maybe Klamath River) but I have never been up to that region and would like to know where would be best to stay. From looking at a map, it appears Mt. Shasta city, Dunsmuir, or Redding might be a good option for staying in.

Also, I have never been steelhead fishing before and would like to hire a guide, so any recommendations of people you like in the area for that would also be greatly appreciated.

k9mark

Reaction score
Try contacting Confluence Oufitters or The Fly Shop in Redding CA. Redding is he central hub to many of the rivers

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

You say you've never been Steelhead fishing before. Have you or do you know how to Spey cast? If not, I highly recommend taking a lesson from Jeff Putnam in the Sacramento area for Spey and switch rod.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Try contacting Confluence Oufitters or The Fly Shop in Redding CA. Redding is he central hub to many of the rivers

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

You say you've never been Steelhead fishing before. Have you or do you know how to Spey cast? If not, I highly recommend taking a lesson from Jeff Putnam in the Sacramento area for Spey and switch rod.
+1!! here.

The formation/timing of a typical spey cast is still 'One-Two-Three' as is a one hander ... but that's where it stops. Lots of self taught casters (me included) but for the investment of a couple of hours (and a few bucks) real lessons will pay for themselves as soon as your boots hit the river.

U Tube vid's can be very helpful as to what a given cast looks like but won't replace a rod in hand.

fae

fae

puravida

Reaction score
Lake fishing I can't give you diddly info .. now Steelheads, etc., could be of some help.

Question one is where are you located so I can get pretty specific as to when/where.

Fred
I live in Orange County, CA and I am pretty open as to when I can go. I would like to go before it gets too cold though...so end of this month or next would be good.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I live in Orange County, CA and I am pretty open as to when I can go. I would like to go before it gets too cold though...so end of this month or next would be good.
Maybe repeating myself here some-what:

Head for Medford (or other local closer community) for 'housing' then fish the top one mile of the Rogue River below the hatchery at Wm. Jess Dam. River is damned at that point (and that's where the hatchery is located) so fish 'stack up.'

Fishing reg's are in a bit of flux (so which PNW River's isn't this season?) so do a on line check for the latest 'can do.' As to this bit above it has a tonne of foot access and the only thing you'll need (extra) is a couple of bucks if its a paid parking spot. Most of the major one's are at this point. The parking 'thing' is good at any of the major 'pay' points in both Jackson and Josephine (next county north) with little exception.

For trout fishing go above the damned lake and you're in a totally different world. Fire service roads are great so even 'street tyres' will cover 90++% of where you're going to drive along the river.

As to weather, expect bright blue sky's, but the mornings will be down in the very low 40's at best.:eek: But at 70 in the afternoon.

fae

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Maybe repeating myself here some-what:

Head for Medford (or other local closer community) for 'housing' then fish the top one mile of the Rogue River below the hatchery at Wm. Jess Dam. River is damned at that point (and that's where the hatchery is located) so fish 'stack up.'

Fishing reg's are in a bit of flux (so which PNW River's isn't this season?) so do a on line check for the latest 'can do.' As to this bit above it has a tonne of foot access and the only thing you'll need (extra) is a couple of bucks if its a paid parking spot. Most of the major one's are at this point. The parking 'thing' is good at any of the major 'pay' points in both Jackson and Josephine (next county north) with little exception.

For trout fishing go above the damned lake and you're in a totally different world. Fire service roads are great so even 'street tyres' will cover 90++% of where you're going to drive along the river.

As to weather, expect bright blue sky's, but the mornings will be down in the very low 40's at best.:eek: But at 70 in the afternoon.

fae

Upper Rogue River