anyone fish the east walker?

scottisko0L

Reaction score
Just got back from a 2 week trip up in Bridgeport, CA. The East Walker is on right now. fish are going crazy on the midge hatch up there.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
You can fish there year round and have good success if you can hack cold weather camping. I love that river.

Hookenum

Reaction score
In the 40 + years i've been fishing, the east walker is no doubt my best success story ever. I still tell stories about the fish i've taken out of this river. My greatest 3 days of fishing ever came from the strech just below the reservior. i think they call it "the hole". I'm not kidding when i say i caught 3-5 lb rainbows like it was a hatchery. It was 20 years ago but seems like just yesterday. I know i will never see the area produce like the trip i had but i cant wait to go back.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
The stretch coming out of the mouth is called "the miracle mile" for obvious reasons if you've talked to anyone who's fished there. My first time there I fished the pool at the top called the "glory hole" and caught a 24 inch beautiful brownie that fought for a good 20 minutes.

scottisko0L

Reaction score
The stretch coming out of the mouth is called "the miracle mile" for obvious reasons if you've talked to anyone who's fished there. My first time there I fished the pool at the top called the "glory hole" and caught a 24 inch beautiful brownie that fought for a good 20 minutes.
thats my favorite part of the river there. that that glory hole holds ALOT of those white fish. they will smack just about everything. but that stretch after that glory hole is the miracle mile right? if so i love that stretch of water. its usually kinda busy but u still catch fish. i caught a nice 20 inch brown outa that stretch last december. right after the glory hole. came up and smacked a dry just drifting it by the brush. beautiful fish

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
I tend to fish it right around this time of year cause a lot of people don't like to hack the cold and this is when the browns are active down there. You go there during the summer and it's shoulder to shoulder people on every run. That whole area is fun to fish. A lot of good lakes too.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
I have yet to catch whitefish in the EW. Went down a few weeks ago and found out that they shocked the "Versacci" Ranch section just before we got there and reported finding a 31 inch Brownie in there!:icon_eek:

DSFlyman

Reaction score
I haven't been up there since last fall. When I went then, the fly shop in Bishop and the fishing reports said don't waste your time. Needless to say it was off the hook... amazing. Well, I've avoided it all year because I kept hearing the water was so low that it was messing with the trout population. Fishing reports I read asked that the E.W. be avoided. I ran into a guide I know at Hot Creek about three weeks ago who has been going up there and having a blast. I need to practice that old axiom about when popular opinion points one way, bet the other way.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Used to go to the Bridgeport area every year for many years but never in the winter. There used to be an area north of town where military cold weather survival training was held. May still have it. Anyway, Robinson creek near there was always good too.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
The Marines do a lot of training all over that area. There's a campground at Lake Kirman that they cut through at night. Freaks you out to see a bunch of soldiers running through your camp at 3 in the a.m.

LocktownDog

Reaction score
The Marines do a lot of training all over that area. There's a campground at Lake Kirman that they cut through at night. Freaks you out to see a bunch of soldiers running through your camp at 3 in the a.m.
:biggrin: Been there. Done that. Scares the livin' daylights outta you.

scottisko0L

Reaction score
i should be going up there this june. im pretty excited about that. i love the E.W. it was my first real river that i have fished, and i didnt do to bad for my first time. whats the deal with the trout season? when does it open/close?

isnt that military camp toward the west walker?

Bigfly

Reaction score
A shallow lake and lower flows increase the temps to the point it can be lethal to play the fish (68+). That doesn't mean they won't eat, just that they may not survive your fun.
Go early season, then give them a break if possible until fall, cools things down.
The fish thank you!