Upper Trinity River Steelhead - Douglas City to Lewiston

p0ppyman

Reaction score
Spent 4 days last week fishing the upper Trinity. No fish for me but saw several adults. Was swinging epoxy back bead head golden stoneflies. Heading back up tomorrow for another 5 days. Anyone have a recent report they can share?

Bigfly

Reaction score
Try swinging a streamer instead.......
I would dead drift a stone......
They are mostly up stream right now.............

Jim

shaunsquid

Reaction score
Good luck. That river has whooped my butt both times I fished it. Try calling the Trinity Fly Shop, just outside of Lewiston.

p0ppyman

Reaction score

Jim
Thanks! Just saw this. I switched to swinging a streamer this morning. Will dead drift a stone tomorrow. I'm fishing the water just upstream of the Trinity River Resort down to the Rush Creek boat launch.

Bill

Bigfly

Reaction score
3E7DEC00-.jpg
My buddy just met one....
Better yet.....stop by the trinity shop just to collect some fish JUJU and hang with folks that swing, more than bobber......
You will need some weight to get down....that's where they are...down low.

Jim

Last edited:

p0ppyman

Reaction score
Thanks Bigfly & shaunsquid! The Trinity Fly Shop is a regular stop when I'm up here. Floated with Herb and Kit several times but not during winter steelhead season. Herb sold me my first switch rod. Kit gave me my first spey casting lesson. Caught a brown that day on a muddler. Followed that spey lesson up by working with Jeff Putnam. I'm still a rookie when it comes to spey. :)

Anyway I appreciate your input. I caught 2 half pounders today swinging a bead head brown sculpin like pattern. I took half pounders with that pattern on the Klamath, Lower Trinity, and American rivers in November so I gave it a try today. No luck when dead drifting a golden stone. I'll be on the Trinity 3 more days unless I extend a couple of days. Main thing is I'm learning and having fun!

Bigfly

Reaction score
pOppy.......
You started with the right people.....once you go down the wrong road...it can be hard to come back....LOL.
Try a soft hackle off the back of the thing you swing!!!!
Have fun!

Jim

p0ppyman

Reaction score
Thanks Bigfly!

Tomorrow I will swing these which I swung a few weeks ago and landed some half pounders.

soft hackle

I had an adult take this at Bucktail River Access area. After it's third jump it left my hook but it was fun while it lasted. :)

sculpin

Bill

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Jim
Ditto here on the upper Rogue River. All sorts of stuff gets tossed at our fish runs but for me the is 'always' one of the two flies on my terminal gear. Heavily weighted fly (more often than not a solid black heavily weighted 'Wolly Black Bug ger) and a size 10 THIN WIRE hook of choice about 18 inches behind.

The 'why' of the thin wire hook is they are far stronger than most would think; (Trust me on this.)

Vast majority of time the fish will set the hook

'Soft takes:' Amazing how a fish the size of a Steelhead can pick up/spit out your 'offering.

fae

I've tried going down to a size 12 as the trailer but just not enough hook to hold in the lip.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Try to remember to drop your rod tip if they air out. Play them from the side too.....no lifting.
And RUN!!!!
Good fishing.

Jim

yikes

Reaction score
This may not be the exact kind of updat on the Trinity River that you were looking for, but CalTrout posted this Trinity River update.