Sacramento Stillwaters/Float tubing

jdwilliams

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for lakes to trout fish from a float tube around the Sacramento area. Within an 1.5 hour drive is preferable. I'm not very familiar with the area.

Thank you!

darkshadow

Reaction score
At the 1.5 hour drive, I know you have Folsom and Berryessa within earshot. Camanche, Pardee, Amador and New Hogan, are right there too.

Never fished them, but know the area geographically.

What I do know is that, especially during the hotter months (read: May through November it seems, nowadays) a lot of people are using leadcore to get trout to go. Don't know if that'll effect your odds, considering how deep your intended species may be at, depending on the time of year.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jdwilliams
I don't know the area, but here are a few suggestions: Explore Google Earth for your area, or pickup an Atlas for CA, or pay a visit to your local Fish and Game office.

Oh, almost forgot, Welcome to the Forum!

azflyrodder

Reaction score
I haven't fished any of the Sacramento area lakes recently, but from past experience at Folsom I can tell you that the trout should be pretty deep at this time of year... I was catching them around 15-20' deep in winter 2016 on leech patterns with a type 6 shooting head setup. I was just throwing it out there and paddling my kayak around the lake, I guess that's not really fly fishing, but I used a fly rod :p

J

james w 3 3

I will send you a PM. No need to tell the whole world, it's called "hotspotting" when you post something specific and go back to find it mobbed.