100 Acre fire at Pleasant Valley Campground / Lower Owens today

planettrout

Reaction score
These two photos are from the Inyo County Sheriff's Office...the third is from someone who is staying at The Vagabond Inn in Bishop, CA where I usually stay when I am up there:

PT/TB

planettrout

Reaction score
An update this morning ( Feb. 19 ). These photos are from the Bishop Fire Department. It would appear that the fire burned through the entire length of the Wild Trout section overnight, on the Lower Owens River, jumped the road and bridge at Five Bridges and headed towards Laws...

This will provide some perspective:

PT/TB

yikes

Reaction score
Heartbreaking.
Wasn’t there another wildfire in winter 2015, near Rock Creek Rd.?
Our fire season is year ‘round.

UPDATE: Saw the photos from the Inyo County Sheriff's facebook page - -yup, Pleasant Valley campground is definitely gone, and most of the wild trout section visible in the photos looks like scorched earth too.

Last edited:

planettrout

Reaction score
These photos were part of a panorama picture that was taken from the Chalk Bluff around mid-day, today, Feb. 19:

Not good...In 2008 there were a series of fires started along the Lower Owens River in the Wild Trout Section. None of them did this much damage. As a result of those fires, they fenced off the entire area from Pleasant Valley Campground down to Five Bridges. Access was limited to pullouts and angular post entrances at points along the fencing. Before that, one could drive their vehicle right up to the river bank...

Nothing lasts forever...

PT/TB

Last edited:

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Sad to see fires started so early in the year, especially near campgrounds!
I grew up in the days of Smokey the Bear constantly reminding us kids through PSA commercials on our TV shows that "only you can prevent forest fires". I also learned fire safety through scouting and summer camp. So without really ever thinking about it, I have always sort of unconsciously assumed that most wildfires start near campgrounds.

yikes

Reaction score
Assuming the riverbed itself is intact and the aquatic life survived, I'm trying to guess the short term negative impacts for the wild trout section.
- Loss of overhanging shelter, increased exposure to predators (including us!)
- Increased sediment flow (ash, silt, etc.) may cover the streambed, inhibiting access for insect life and spawning gravel.
- Loss of habitat for terrestrials. When will the grass come back, and bring hoppers, etc. with it?
- Nitrogen from the ash, and warmer water temps from loss of cover, could increase algae, etc.

I'm just speculating here - - no scientific knowledge on this.

acorad

Reaction score
I was planning on fishing this section this Sunday. May still go if access is allowed. Fish gotta eat!

Anyway, I hope and expect that any negative effects will be short-lived. If this was, say, a forested area, I think the damage would have been much greater and longer-lasting. And hopefully, as a benefit, river access should be improved since the damn tules are all burned out now.

westcoast

Reaction score
Outside of the fact that the Camp site infrastructure has been destroyed, the fire itself assuming it was set by lightning is a natural event that rejuvenate the land. There is no defense unless we cleared out all the dead and dry brush withing all the land and forests. Up in Canada, if no human habitat is threatened we let the fire burn itself out and clear the dead brush, it's a cycle that's been going on since the dawn of time.

darkshadow

Reaction score
...the fire itself assuming it was set by lightning is a natural event that rejuvenate the land.
I'm not a betting man, but I'd put a cool Benjamin on the fire being man made.

A few years ago, there was one that burned through Laws, so perhaps that may serve as a bit of a fire break.

acorad

Reaction score
Ya, almost fer sure started by a campfire. Not sure who would think it's smart to start a campfire with the 50 mph gusts they were getting on Sunday? Anyway, from what I've heard the fire is essentially out. Mostly a much smaller crew up there now, going through the area and extinguishing any lingering smoldering spots.

planettrout

Reaction score
This is a photo of the lower campground taken yesterday morning (Tuesday, Feb. 20). There has not been a formal announcement on the cause of the fire:

This is a screen shot from Sierra Drifters Guide Service FB page yesterday:

PT/TB

yikes

Reaction score
More video today from Sierra Drifters - - situation not as bad as previously feared:

acorad

Reaction score
Hi all, I fished the Wild Trout section on Sunday. Fishing was great. Access is basically unlimited. Visibility unlimited. Water is clear. Nothing left to hinder a back cast. I've heard there were some areas that had fish kills, but the fish were happy and healthy where I was. Sooty though, you and your clothes will be covered in charcoal. Go get 'em.

Andy