Fishing SoCal bass and other similar

mtbright

Reaction score
So I would like expand into some Stillwater fishing any ideas where to research this and anybody fish the lakes around in SoCal?

vamtnbiker

Reaction score
I lived in Riverside up until 2002. I used to take my float tube to Lake Perris and cruise the southeastern shoreline, where the trees offered cover for bass. I watched a video of Dave Whitlock's that showed how to get a bass bug up under the trees and I tried to do the same thing. What a blast! I don't know what condition Lake Perris is in now, but it's worth looking into.

yikes

Reaction score
I've seen Lake Hemet, but not tried it. But it's pretty, mountainous, not that far from Riverside, and reportedly has bass in it.
If you have a boat, Diamond Vally Lake would normally be a good close lake, however last year they had some terrible algae bloom.

mtbright

Reaction score
I've seen Lake Hemet, but not tried it. But it's pretty, mountainous, not that far from Riverside, and reportedly has bass in it.
If you have a boat, Diamond Vally Lake would normally be a good close lake, however last year they had some terrible algae bloom.
Yikes, do you do any warm water fishing? I know you went out with Vaughn as i have and plan on doing it again in a month or two.

yikes

Reaction score
Yikes, do you do any warm water fishing? I know you went out with Vaughn as i have and plan on doing it again in a month or two.
I haven't done too much warmwater around here. I have a 7wt. that I use on carp in the LA River, but that's more of a novelty.

I have friends who fish Legg Lake (El Monte) for bass, and I've been told that in So Cal the ultimate bass fishing is Barrett Lake in San Diego. The limit the number of anglers per day, so the bass there are not pressured.
A couple of years ago, there was a guest lecturer at th Pasadena Casting Club who said that anglers from southern states would kill for the opportunities to fish for bass on uncrowded waters like here in So Cal. He thinks we're all trout snobs and are ignoring the bass all around us. He may have a point: this morning instead of fishing, I'm doing a "test" horseback ride with a friend to see if we're up for considering a flyfishing pack trip in MT this summer - - but that's another topic.

I've tried flyfishing the surf, but without much success. I look forward to going out with Vaughn again sometime this year.

flying

Reaction score
So I would like expand into some Stillwater fishing any ideas where to research this and anybody fish the lakes around in SoCal?
Are you new to the area or just stillwater? I have done nothing but tubing and mainly Perris for the last 20 years. If you tube that is the place to be but it will be very difficult the next few years especially for someone new. If you didn't know the lake was dropped 25 feet in 2006 due to new earthquake studies on the dam. Since then the exposed lake bed has overgrown with new vegetation and a large area was excavated in the east end to use the dirt to re-enforce the dam footing. That area was excavated in layers and rock reefs added for structure. Construction is now done and the lake is on the rise flooding all this new structure and vegetation.

YouTube
I've got my own pics of that before it flooded.:D

If you or anyone else would like to tube there let me know as I'm out there a few times a week. I due nothing but 6 weight type 4 full sink w/#8 black buggers, sometimes white if I know the bait schools are out. I was actually using the Perfection Perch from Crowley there for bass for awhile but I hate tying those so I just do buggers now. I also gave up on big poppers and bass bugs. Too much work tying and throwing. I'd rather kick around and troll/tug than sit and cast.

Shore fishing there does not look very appealing to me at all there right now. You are either going to be in a barren area or in the bush.

If you want to shore fish try Skinner. Skinner has a 10 mph limit and no body contact so the lake is pretty quiet. The shore line has a lot of coves and points and many drop offs. Its more lake looking than reservoir.

Silverwood is also another nice looking lake. I only tubed there once and saw a lot of nice shoreline to fish. Perris is much closer for me so I've never bothered to go back.

mtbright

Reaction score
Are you new to the area or just stillwater? I have done nothing but tubing and mainly Perris for the last 20 years. If you tube that is the place to be but it will be very difficult the next few years especially for someone new. If you didn't know the lake was dropped 25 feet in 2006 due to new earthquake studies on the dam. Since then the exposed lake bed has overgrown with new vegetation and a large area was excavated in the east end to use the dirt to re-enforce the dam footing. That area was excavated in layers and rock reefs added for structure. Construction is now done and the lake is on the rise flooding all this new structure and vegetation.

YouTube
I've got my own pics of that before it flooded.:D

If you or anyone else would like to tube there let me know as I'm out there a few times a week. I due nothing but 6 weight type 4 full sink w/#8 black buggers, sometimes white if I know the bait schools are out. I was actually using the Perfection Perch from Crowley there for bass for awhile but I hate tying those so I just do buggers now. I also gave up on big poppers and bass bugs. Too much work tying and throwing. I'd rather kick around and troll/tug than sit and cast.

Shore fishing there does not look very appealing to me at all there right now. You are either going to be in a barren area or in the bush.

If you want to shore fish try Skinner. Skinner has a 10 mph limit and no body contact so the lake is pretty quiet. The shore line has a lot of coves and points and many drop offs. Its more lake looking than reservoir.

Silverwood is also another nice looking lake. I only tubed there once and saw a lot of nice shoreline to fish. Perris is much closer for me so I've never bothered to go back.
Not new to the area, born and raised in riverside. Left a few times but came back. I have floated Crowley but that is about it. Do not even have a tube anymore. I just know there is a lot of quality water here where I don’t have to drive hours.

I may let you know and take to drive out to lake perris, my six weight is on its way.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Plenty...that's all I did before I began fly fishing, but I haven't fly fished for bass.

DVL? Perris? Castaic? Pyramid? Piru? Fished them all. Even have ventured into CenCal like Nacimiento, San Antonio and Santa Margarita.

DVL is my personal favorite, just because when you have it dialed down, you can get off the lake with a 25 pound bag. (All released, of course). Back when it was open, Vail used to be good for triple digit days. I used to come home with my thumb almost bleeding.

If you can get the coveted golden ticket for Barret, it's definitely a place where you can toss a 7 weight and strip to your heart's content. If you near triple digits, you've had a good day there as well.

I haven't done much fishing for bass at the San Diego lakes, but I hear they can fish well if you time it right.

mtbright

Reaction score
I am going out in the moring tomorrow just to cast and work on stuff, just havnt decided whether it will be perris or Skinner. I am very new to fly fishign a lake, but not new to fly fishing. i am going to take my 5 and 6 wts, and possibly a 4...

Not sure of how, where or ? to do this lake fishing i feel like it might be me digging in a haystake for a needle. :)