Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Truckee, CA.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Truckee, CA.

Hey fishers!
    The Drakes have been going off for over two weeks.....
    But, sparsely.......unless it doesn't go.......or it goes off!!!!
    There is no a day/week to catch them, it's different every year....
    Scoff at climate change......but I don't think hatch charts are even close anymore. I just fish what I see, and have given up predicting mostly, because it's not like it used to be...........
    DON'T fish out of habit! That means the fly choice, style choice, the water you walk, and when you fish......
    It's the least effective way to go....and the leading cause of fishing poorly.
    I know, if I fish out of habit, I deserve to strike out.....I say this to help those who are trying to fish well......not give a hard time to those who just want to go fish.....
    But as soon as you fish mindlessly, there will be things you are missing....I don't rely on luck, but prefer good observation skills....

My reports have only current field observations......my past 30 years on this water are not much help predicting the future.......the Skwallas just ended, and there are still a few March browns popping for example......

The Drakes often go off at dusk (stay late.....and bring a head light), but I've seen them go a high noon too.......
    This is a "be there or be square bug"...............they react to the environment....not the calendar...
    And bring them, because they are mostly sold out locally.....same with March Browns, and several other flies.
    When I say, "tie them or buy them", I'm not kidding.
    When you fish like the other guys, and not think ahead.........it will happen........if you have ever timed the hatch, and not had the fly with you......you will remember it next time.....the sound of gulpers will haunt ya......
    There are Caddis and PMDs, and a blizzard of Sallies now, and big Goldens occasionally.....heard my first Hopper mating flight yesterday...
    They will be the afternoon special for a few weeks.......when the wind blows....

If you are waiting for the Drake.....look around. Yesterday was a nature day.......we watched a beaver getting ready for winter.....
    Saw a river otter taking a sand bath, and scenting, and getting himself ready for a date!
    I did C&R with a brown bat last night....he picked the fly off the water...too small to keep...
    Lots of baby geese out learning what they do.....
    King fishers were busy....birding is at a peak right now
    Summer is in full swing!
    Flows will be low the rest of the year..up to 210 cfs now near town....it is poor style to flog water that is low, and where fish can't hide. Remember, as the water gets warmer it just gets harder for them.........don't overplay them.....and don't go so light on your leader at dusk..... they can't see it...and you can land them quickly......as opposed to following them around till they expire.
    Remember, when the water feels great to us, it's too warm for them.

Hope you all enjoy your summer!
    Treat'em nice!

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 06-21-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

2. Likes yikes liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    I did C&R with a brown bat last night....he picked the fly off the water...too small to keep...
    How do you get the hook out?
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Blog Entries

Very carefully...........
    I fish barbless, so it wasn't bad......
    He wasn't pleased though!

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

By the way, keep up the posts. Some of us enjoy hearing how the Truckee is fishing.

I caught a bat a Hot Creek once. He was a bit pesky to get in hand without getting bit but once I had hold of him he quieted down and let me pop the hook out. The duck I caught was not nearly as cooperative and I ended up breaking him off but since it was a size 18 hook I figured it would rust out soon enough.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

Blog Entries

Thanks....
    Kinda wondered if anyone really read the posts....
    Have done them so long, it seems like a habit.
    Albeit a good one...

Jim

7. Likes nevadanstig liked this post
    Blog Entries

IMG_1322 by James Landis, on Flickr

After years of practice..........Andy scores a nice brown on a Baetis dry.....and 5x tippet. Mudded...........

Jim

9. Likes yikes, flytie09, pfetz liked this post

Nice brown and especially on the dry!

Been out lately Jim? How's the conditions up there?
    Went out this morning in Sparks, and at 915am the water temp mic'd out at 73. Turned my rear right around. I'll stick to the bass ponds until it cools down a bit. 3 weeks of triple digit temps down here taking its toll.
    Hope its cooler up there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

20180727_101621[1] by James Landis, on Flickr

Nocturnal short-winged Stones.....

Glad to hear you have love of fish.....
    I'm always out.....someone needs to keep watch.......
    But, personally I don't fish water over 67 deg.
    It's cooler at dawn up here.......but after 11:00am I give it a hoot owl closure....
    This isn't fishing season......except for vacationers. ....I fish when it's good.
    Only a universal fisher walks water at high noon in summer.........

Hope you all are getting out! Summer is over halfway done..........grass is turning golden.
    Many people are on the water, but the fish are holding their own.......
    You see two approaches mainly.....those who just show up with no idea except that the fish are in the river.....
    Then, there are those who have thought about it a bit. I have noticed a difference in the outcomes of the two styles......
    One tends to move a bit, while the other parks on a hole for an hour....generally, if you don't get a fish to play in a couple drifts, it might mean they know you are there. Put a little sneak on...it helps.
    Use more weight than almost everywhere else. I rock 2-3 ABs to start.........a longer stick is nice for a better drift.
    It seems what the fish here respect the most is a good drift. Make it so.........bubbles are good.......

Did I mention hoppers? Afternoon breezy conditions.
    PMDs, Infrequines, Baetis......
    Caddis are coming on strong.......
    There is a possibility.........of a big Golden stone flying.....at mid-day.......one might try a Stoned. Dry.....and a (fill in the blank) dropper......
    We are approaching a Hoot owl Closure, 67-68 deg at dark.
    I've stopped fishing evenings....
    Wouldn't want to harm our fishery, just to brag about how I railed on them.........we might like some fish this winter...when it's good......
    Dawn is a good time to go see fish.........biggies going off the night shift....they have had 10 hrs off....from anglers....
    It's really time to keep them wet.....even in the water the amount of dissolved Oxygen is low for them to recover.
    You can tell when the water is too warm for the fish..........lots of people in inner-tubes.....
    Treat them really nice.......

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 07-28-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123