Truckee, CA.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Yikes, I've been posting for a few years here...and I always say....come on up...bigger water would be good for you.....and not so much bro-bra stuff up here either.......come get spanked by a fish!

Jim

Bigfly

Reaction score
You need beer after fishing the T.....
Getting dissed by a fish can cause dry mouth. But, can't imagine driving 10 hrs for a beer.....
Bring your big stick......I have a protege who is sporting a 8'6" 5wt short glass rod, and is fighting it.
The tool for the job......He has seen us fishing with bigger sticks, and having an easier time of it.
Yesterday he said he is now shopping for a new stick. 11 feet is sweet....

Jim

mtbright

Reaction score
You need beer after fishing the T.....
Getting dissed by a fish can cause dry mouth. But, can't imagine driving 10 hrs for a beer.....
Bring your big stick......I have a protege who is sporting a 8'6" 5wt short glass rod, and is fighting it.
The tool for the job......He has seen us fishing with bigger sticks, and having an easier time of it.
Yesterday he said he is now shopping for a new stick. 11 feet is sweet....

Jim
Never fished with anything bigger then my 9’s, other the old school standard surf rods.

I have never high sticked or done much nymph fishing othe then float tubing Crowley.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I can hand you one for a test drive.....
Many guys that try, end up buying.
If you aren't already a moving water guy, the T is not an easy leg over.....on the other hand, what's life without a challenge.......

Jim

Last edited:

mtbright

Reaction score
I can hand you one for a test drive.....
Many guys that try, end up buying.
If you aren't already a moving water guy, the T is not an easy leg over.....on the other hand, what's life without a challenge.......

Jim
over 30 years of stream and river fishing but mainly dry's and streamers. just tried salt water fly fishing this last year it was very cool, but very different. So I think i need go past the owens valley and walkers to check out some of the upper sierra's places.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Flows are way up^^^^^^
Crested near 3000cfs in town!
No wading!
Bigger down below.............

This is big fish time!!!!!
Which means big stick time too...
I had a tubby Bow on for ahh.......5 sec. elapsed time. Worth 2 points, since a friend saw it......ha!

Flows will be big till the pack melts....
That may not take long.....
Pray for cold nights and high cloudy days so the pack will last. (No hoping for warm days, bring a coat!...)

Jim

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
IMG_2792 by James Landis, on Flickr

keith... by James Landis, on Flickr

A couple of "Bernie sized" Browns from this week.....Walter is still lurking......Are you waiting for them to get bigger?

Got another client into fish....actually, it appears I've created an angler! He was quick to learn, and now has the keys to the kingdom......tagged 3 nice fish in his first two days on the water. (That took me two seasons when I started fishing the T...)
The T isn't that hard if you have good technique, and fish the high water regularly....and are willing to adapt to the river.

I don't think every report should have a fish photo.....but if I'm going to report like I know......I should be able to put them in the net in any conditions. Not just the conditions I like, or the style I like. Almost anyone can do that!
I want fishers to fish ALL the conditions...
And stick them.
Browns like big turbid water......
Why? More food.

Locals are getting after it....this is our favorite time of year....not when flows are small and fish are spooky......
Catching fish on the T is not a total secret, but it will take some practice.....I always suggest adopting a river and fishing it, till you know it well (like a lover). As opposed to fishing all waters, and remaining a wannabe.......perpetually.
I have a protege that moved here to learn the T, and I'm teaching how to one-drift a fish.....he didn't believe me for a while......now he is doing it too. "All it takes is one good drift."
(The challenge is being ready.....!)
The only advantage I have here, is 45 yrs on the fly and nearly 30yrs of practice on the Truckee....and a willingness to practice some more.....and watch......and be ready to change the way I think too. (Thanks Ralph.)
Many fishers blank here, BECAUSE they are fish hero's......check your cape at the door, and lets get busy....!
I have had clients who said they catch fish everywhere but the T.........you have to figure it must be easier elsewhere.....
Just talked to a guy who was about to drive 4hrs to fish 200cfs....I showed him the fish from yesterday, and asked why?
I'd rather fish 4 hrs for a fish of dreams, and save gas.
Stay humble, for best results. (Yes, I know that's hard.) I lost a VLF this week.....that's what's great about the T, meeting fish that can still kick my ass......what's not to like?
Fish that I can land, hold a little less interest for me now.....think nemesis...in a good way.

A bug seine works wonders deciding what to fish.........the water should tell you how.

Sunny today!!!! The river is clearing rapidly. I would call Lt green w/white water 40deg. Amazing color....Steelhead green...
Serious flows even in town....no wading....flows are level and has been for a few days....that's what we want.
It doesn't matter how big the water is,it just needs to be level....
Flows are up in the grass, and very fishy. Big stick time......think about where you will run, before you cast.......
Find some soft water for best results.........takes are soft too...
Water temps are cold enough fish tend to stay in the pool you hook them in.....when it warms some more, fish will be harder to land since they will feel like making a big run >>>>>>>>>and you will need to run as well.

Seeing occasional big March Browns, Baetis, and Midges....of course.
A Cray, or worm, might get their attention.................
Local store is out of Dunmores.....

My Spring is filling up, let me know if I can help.......

Treat'em nice.

Jim

Last edited:

mtbusman

Reaction score
Man, you make me want to come home to CA and try the Truckee. Unfortunately, I haven't even had time to fish the Mo' up here where I live. Maybe in a couple years I can go on a fishing safari and look you up.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Man, you make me want to come home to CA and try the Truckee. Unfortunately, I haven't even had time to fish the Mo' up here where I live. Maybe in a couple years I can go on a fishing safari and look you up.
Heck......I want to fish the MO.....
There is just toooo much water, and no time to spare.......
Give a shout if ya come this way....

Jim

Last edited:

yikes

Reaction score
Question for Bigfly: 3 nice fish in 2 days - - does that mean he also caught a lot more fish of smaller size?
I find on my local river that the young 'uns are relatively easy to fool, and the big ones take more skill. If I brought a novice to fish the Truckee and they didn't yet have the keys to the kingdom, would they still be landing fish (even if smaller)?

Bigfly

Reaction score
Hey Yikes.....
We have a low overall fish count...maybe 400 per mi. If that....(there are some wild little fish too....)
Of those bigger fish most have been caught before, so they are very hip to our tricks. The down side of C&R.....
Honestly, I fish trophy style, so I don't run into little guys (under 18-20") that much.
Since I was teaching, we were hunting Walter.....those were his first Truckee trout (and only 3)....I basically ruined my guy for fishing most other waters......with T love. (That's my job....)
Big guys are the challenge for big guys......
Especially at these flows...........

Sounds like you need to visit the Glennshire day use area. It's near the club, with some stocked fish.
The members are not looking to really fish, they just want to catch, without learning. Higher-end consumer style..
Which means a youngster can probably hook up with help......
Overall, I don't know any harder water to fish, which is why I've spent 30 years here.
Don't know how old your kiddo is, but this isn't considered beginner water.............but I do teach beginners here...big and little..
I know plenty of people who have a love/hate relationship with this water.
I blanked yesterday...
It is referred to locally as the Pebble beach of rivers......for beginners.
The fish posted were what I call "Bruiser class" or Bernie's ...20" to 25". Walter class or alpha fish is 26" to 30"+.
There is some lake fishing for stocked trout, and some sizable smallies as well.
If you are trying to acclimate them to fish for fun, not results, the T is a good choice..............
I may be a wandering boat guide this season, after May.
Let me know (give a call), and I will try to help.

Jim

Last edited:

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Hey Yikes.....
We have a low overall fish count...maybe 400 per mi. If that....(there are some wild little fish.....)
Of those, most have been caught before, so they are very hip to our tricks.
Honestly, I fish trophy style, so I don't run into little guys (under 18-20") that much.
Since I was teaching, we were hunting Walter.....those were his first Truckee trout (and only)....I basically ruined my guy for fishing most other waters......with T love. (That's my job....)
Big guys are the challenge for big guys......
Especially at these flows...........

Sounds like you need to visit the Glennshire day use area. It's near the club, with some stocked fish.
The members are not looking to really fish, they just want to catch, without learning.
Which means a youngster can probably hook up with help......
I don't know any harder water to fish, which is why I've spent 30 years here.
Don't know how old your kiddo is, but this isn't considered beginner water.............
I know plenty of people who have a love/hate relationship with this water. I blanked yesterday...
It is referred to locally as the Pebble beach of rivers......for beginners.
The fish posted were what I call "Bruiser class" 20" to 25". Walter class is 26" to 30"+.
There is some lake fishing for stocked trout, and some sizable smallies as well.
If you are trying to acclimate them to fish for fun, not results, the T is a good choice..............
I may be a wandering boat guide this season, after May.
Let me know (give a call), and I will try to help.

Jim
Don't know if there's that many more fish on your side, but across the border here, we max out at about 50-60 trout a mile. The Truckee averages about 25-35 fish a mile. Reno Fly Shop does a pod cast every October which they interview NDOW biologists about the yearly fish survey, I love listening to it every year.
Next year will be the real interesting survey, now that the fish have actually had water for a year or two to spawn and do there thing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bigfly

Reaction score
Don't know if there's that many more fish on your side, but across the border here, we max out at about 50-60 trout a mile. The Truckee averages about 25-35 fish a mile. Reno Fly Shop does a pod cast every October which they interview NDOW biologists about the yearly fish survey, I love listening to it every year.
Next year will be the real interesting survey, now that the fish have actually had water for a year or two to spawn and do there thing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hey Stig...
There are parts of the river on our side that have almost no fish.....
There are spots with more. That's the way of a river...
The shire has about 400 between the bridge and the creek.
(Which is why I sent Yikes there...)
And why many fishers don't fish anywhere else......
[Shire shock survey before bad drought...]
I know some Bioligists...and meet them sampling.
(I hate that....) secretly, I want to borrow the wands, then push them in over their waders and.......................give reality therapy. ...:rolleyes:
It is a population bubble......there are plenty to catch without chasing stockers.....
I do my own surveys without shocking.......all over......
My sensei said "go swim it." I did, and got busy learning.....they are in there.
I figure now, there's a fish behind every rock....how many rocks per mile?
I have been seeing more little wildies....
Cute little parr marks...way too small for stockers.....I have warm spot for them....and one day...they will be bigger than my streamers!

Another deal though...is your side of the border...I suspect people may treat it as a catch and keep fishery...and they stock it for that. Right?
Mostly here we C&R...
And other than club fish we aren't stocked......
Which is good!
Wild is best!!!!!

You been out? When you comin up?

Jim

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
Re:

file by James Landis, on Flickr

It's always a joy when a fisher finds closure........

The river is perfect.....579cfs clear and 50+deg.
March browns maybe.....Caddis, BWOs, Ants (little), Green Drakes are nearly here.

Treatem nice!!

Jim

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
IMG_4723-1 by James Landis, on Flickr

We are hard into summer......
Had a young fisherman out this week.
We stalked a nice brown, his first, and it looked like the fish was going to win!
But this guy had more game than the fish. He said...NO! you can't go underneath that tree.......
A March Brown properly presented was his undoing.........

We are seeing Golden stones, PMDs, Carpenter Ants, BWOs, Midges, and Hoppers are starting to hop!
Get a good drift.....and maybe mud that leader......
Flows are lower every day. temps around 60 deg.
Won't be long till it's too warm to fish...........

Fish now!!!!!
Treat'em nice!

Last edited: