Hawaii Fishing

Stan Wright

Reaction score
Well, this last week was good. I live on the island of Oahu (Honolulu) so I mostly fish for peacock bass and some time for bonefish.
Aloha,
stan

Bob Lang

Reaction score
Stan,

I've fished for peacock bass while in Panama and found it a great sport with some great tasting fish at the end of the day. But I've got to ask what is that orange fish? I've never seen one before. Is it a saltwater fish? Is it one you find only in Hawaii or wasit brought in from somewhere else?

Stan Wright

Reaction score
In the pet store they are called Red Devil. It's just one of many "tropical fish" that are in Wahheawa Res, streams, and ponds because someone dumped their unwanted aquairum.

They range from a bright orange to red. Averaging 1/2 to 3/4 pound.
They will take a slow moving lure, or fly. If they would only hit a dry fly or popping bug I wouldn't fish for anything else.

Sometime they can be very aggressive and attack any offering. Other times they run from anything tossed within five feet of them.... even live bait. When red devils get big they will kill all the other fish in an aquarium.

Some people feel they are eating all the crawfish and eggs from the largemouth bass and want to get rid of them. The peacock bass guard their nest and are doing fine.