Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: San Gabriel River West Fork

I fished the w fork today the water is still pretty cold but the levels have dropped quite a bit since i was there last and the water is on the stained side I landed a couple and hooked a couple and also missed a few. not much over 5 inches I dont think I'll be back there this summer. I didnt take a camara today so ni pics i'm afraid.
    Ryan

2. Default Re: San Gabriel River West Fork

I will be making my first trip this weekend to the fork. Hope all goes well. What are some go to flies? I am a fly fishing nub and love to CPR. :] Done my fair share of fish bloodshed when I used to work on the sportfishing boats, now its all about preservation.

Stay classy

3. Default Re: San Gabriel River West Fork

Made it out early Saturday the 31st with four buddies. Waded and fished till about 3pm. Everyone caught a fish and a good time was hard by all.

The trash is an issue though. It is very depressing to see to say the least.

The whole day was chronicled here.

I'd like to know when the water is highest to try it again.

Default Re: San Gabriel River West Fork

how do the east and northern areas fish??

5. Default Re: San Gabriel River West Fork

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolf View Post
    how do the east and northern areas fish??
    During these hot August days, both of those areas seem to have slightly cooler water. I presume that's because they are natural runoff, rather than dam releases. The slightly cooler water probably means the fish are under less stress than in the WF.

The NF is a much smaller water, and the fish reflect that. Also, the road follows it, so during the summer, it gets some of the heaviest crowds of swimmers, as well as their trash. I haven't gone beyond the gate, but I would expect a mile or two of walking would get away from the worst of the crowds.

The EF also has smaller fish, but larger than in the NF. Average is probably just 5", and 8" is one of the bigger fish in this section of river. Along the road, the crowds of swimmers can be insanely heavy. Once you reach the parking lot at the end of the road, the first mile or so of the river has been all dug up by the miners. There actually are fish in those sections, but it's like fishing a strip mine. Once you hike far enough back, the streambed is less likely to be disturbed by the goldpanners, and it's easier to enjoy the fishing.

6. Default Re: San Gabriel River West Fork

Hit up the west fork again last weekend.

Had a great time with my buddy. Ended up making a short video.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567