Southern Sierra

acorad

Reaction score
Was able to get up to the S. Sierra this past weekend with my son and a friend and his son. We had camped near this creek several time before when the kids were younger, and we were really looking forward to returning!

The creek holds a lot of small Kern River Rainbows, so we brought 2 wt rods. From the first hole, the creek did not disappoint.

Beautiful native KRR:

P9080006.JPG

My son and his first fish OTF:

P9080007.JPG

The photo does not do justice to not only the beauty, but also how steep it really was:

P9080010.JPG

My discovery that the creek does not only hold small fish:

P9080019.JPG

After release, my son said the fish had Stockholm Syndrome:

P9080021.JPG

Last edited:

acorad

Reaction score
Trail of 100 Giants, man those trees are massive!:

P9090076.JPG

We'd always stopped by the exotic cat breeding facility in Rosamond, and we continued the tradition:

P9090131.JPG

So great to smell the pines and spend some time with my son!

Andy

Attachments

acorad

Reaction score
Sorry, not sure why the tree is sideways! Nor why it shows up 2x...

Andy

kevind62

Reaction score
It does that on here if you took the picture with your phone. I usually save the pic to a folder on my laptop or desktop then open it with paint and make a rotation change. It's usually upright so I'll just change and then change back and save. This solves the problem for me.

Sorry, not sure why the tree is sideways! Nor why it shows up 2x...

Andy

darkshadow

Reaction score
Crowded? Traffic?

Andy
All of the above!

And because it was my first time into the Sequoia National Park, I didn't have any clue on access, and it was nearly impossible to do any type of scouting when every single parking lot and turn out was filled.

BUT, I did find some locations for future visits, and spent some time snorkeling the Kaweah and the Tule, and boy did I find out a lot about how trout live. It was pretty amazing seeing them do their thing underwater, and how many of them weren't even afraid of humans. The smaller models even gathered around your feet, waiting for you to kick up sediment, and had zero fear.

acorad

Reaction score
and spent some time snorkeling the Kaweah and the Tule, and boy did I find out a lot about how trout live. It was pretty amazing seeing them do their thing underwater, and how many of them weren't even afraid of humans. The smaller models even gathered around your feet, waiting for you to kick up sediment, and had zero fear.
On the ride home my son and I were talking about doing the same thing!

What did you learn?

Andy

darkshadow

Reaction score
On the ride home my son and I were talking about doing the same thing!

What did you learn?

Andy
Well...the ole adage that 95% of the fish are in 5% of the water was pretty much confirmed. There are spots that fish use for safety, spots that are their conveyor belt for food, and spots where only chubs are milling around. I swam into the small waterfalls that make up the major of the plunge pools, and found fish completely stacked under the undercut, away from the actual splashing of the water from above. I actually got myself wedged under the undercut to find it it had very little current. The moment i got into the white water, I got sucked downstream. Obviously, any type of current break near oxygenated water, whether it be an outcropping or a big rock tended to hold fish.

But, what I did notice, is that 95% of the fish were just completely unapproachable with regular fly gear. The only fish that were catchable were the ones that were feeding in the current lanes that came off these plunge pools.

Also noticed that EVERY area I was snorkeling held fish. The biggest fish? A nice 14 - 15" specimen, who got spooked the moment he saw my ugly mug, and retreated deep into an undercut produced by a huge boulder. But, I would've definitely kept hiking upstream after muttering, "there's no way there's a fish in there."

Also notice the lack of biomass for these guys. Was paying attention to rocks underwater to see if they held any life, and life was few and between. No wonder you don't really need to match any specific 'hatch' fishing these freestones and pocket water, just have a good presentation. But as I said above, unless you stood directly above the plunge pool and dropped a drop shot rig with a short spinning rod straight down, good luck with trying to catch those fish....

I think I'm gonna bring my snorkel every time I fish now (except in the winter obviously) because once the water gets too warm (especially in southern california), i can always set the fly rod down for the safety of the fish, and peer down into their world for a while.

It was pretty surreal....

acorad

Reaction score
Great stuff DS.

"and found fish completely stacked under the undercut, away from the actual splashing of the water from above."

Do you mean the undercut immediately ahead/upstream of where the water from the falls hit the water of the pool?

We typically got a couple fish from each pool, maybe a couple more from the bigger pools, and then the bite in the pool would shut down. I'm guessing now that we caught/scared the ones in the feeding lanes, but there were many others under ledges, etc., like you saw.

I'm gonna bring the snorkel mask too. It was hot last weekend, and we often took dips in the pools after we fished them, so might as well put on a mask and look around a little!

Lack of biomass up in the mountains confirms my thoughts. Most of the fish we caught were pretty skinny, compared to the bulkier fish in the lazy, muddy, meadows of the Owens, for example.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Great stuff DS.

"and found fish completely stacked under the undercut, away from the actual splashing of the water from above."

Do you mean the undercut immediately ahead/upstream of where the water from the falls hit the water of the pool?

We typically got a couple fish from each pool, maybe a couple more from the bigger pools, and then the bite in the pool would shut down. I'm guessing now that we caught/scared the ones in the feeding lanes, but there were many others under ledges, etc., like you saw.

I'm gonna bring the snorkel mask too. It was hot last weekend, and we often took dips in the pools after we fished them, so might as well put on a mask and look around a little!

Lack of biomass up in the mountains confirms my thoughts. Most of the fish we caught were pretty skinny, compared to the bulkier fish in the lazy, muddy, meadows of the Owens, for example.
The undercut BEHIND the 'water fall' held the most amount of fish. Sorry for the drawing, as it looks like a 1st grader's art project. The red "dots" are your trout:

Good luck getting a cast through and behind a waterfall. Roll cast maybe? ;-)

You know the biggest eye opener, tho?

The fact that you had half of Tulare County swimming in a pool, and the fish were still actively feeding and looking for food. Grant it, the bigger ones were wary of the swimmers, but not necessarily spooked, but the little ones? All you had to do is shuffle your feet, count to 5, and then look down to see half a dozen 3" trout nibbling at the sediment.

And of course, these wild fish have some amazing coloration once you get to their level in their habitat. The crystal clear snow melt made for some fantastic visibility.

What was also surprising is how the undercuts from the main channel on the river held zero fish. You'd think you'd see one or two just chilling in them and zero. Also, my body could definitely tell the 'colder' areas of the river, and although it's common sense, it was good confirming that you could look at a river from above and guess where the 'colder' water would be. And obviously, the fish would be there since it's their comfort zone.

Oh, and with the amount of micro currents UNDERNEATH the water (let alone on top of it), I can see how people drown when water levels are up. In fact, the back side of the waterfall where all the fish were stacked can be a death trap, because the current will reverse itself and keep you spinning in that one spot, which can be pretty disorienting. With the water levels down, it was a safe venture, but there's no way in hell I'd do that with water levels raging.

acorad

Reaction score
Awesome drawing DS, answers my question perfectly.

Funny you mention pools with people swimming in them. The four of us went to a waterslide that dropped into a large pool, and during the hour or so that we splashed around I continually saw fish in the pool hanging out in a very un-afraid manner.

yikes

Reaction score
So, is there some angle or approach where I could just cast straight into the waterfall and have it get sucked into the reverse eddys, right in front of that stack of fish?

acorad

Reaction score
So, is there some angle or approach where I could just cast straight into the waterfall and have it get sucked into the reverse eddys, right in front of that stack of fish?
i think that's about the only thing you can do, chuck it straight in there hard.

I did try it a couple times, though I didn't realize at the time how many fish were potentially stacked up in there, and I found it's pretty much impossible to keep even a hint of a tight line while the fly is bouncing around in there.

Pretty tough to feel a hit...