Canyoneering With Side of Fly Fishing

darkshadow

Reaction score
California has the lowest and the highest elevation in the 48 states, which definitely gives our hydrology its personality. A gentle flowing glassy meadow that you can wade upstream for miles are far and between in my neck of the woods, and pocket water is the name of the game. "Wading" upstream means navigating huge granite boulders, log jams, swift moving water, and a litany of other impediments through amazing canyons that make your average wading boot shake in their boots. And because I wet wade 90% of the time, and am covering a lot of water, finding the perfect wet wading boot became the search for the holy grail.

Until I finally found it.

So what do I look for in a wet wading boot? There are a lot of items that I personally need to take into consideration:

The Hike In

I wish I could park at a turn out and walk down to the local crick, but in California, you hike a lot before making your first cast. You also hike a lot after making your first cast, whether upstream in the river, or off on the trail. That alone requires the boot and the sole to be comfortable and durable, and provide ankle support, while being light weight.

Water

Obviously, a lot of time the boot will spend its time submerged under water, hence the 'wet' part of wet wading. Neoprene, I've found, is the best insulator and is comfortable wet and dry, while submerged in or out of the water. Combined with other materials, it makes sure drainage is key component, but the design needs to be tough as well. If the boot does not have neoprene, that's usually a bad indicator. I've had people recommend me boots whose shell was made out of GoreTex. You don't want to keep water in, unless blisters are your thing. Any necessary drainage holes cannot be large enough to let sediment and rocks in, unless blisters are your thing.

Terrain

Extremely wide range of terrain, on and off the water is the norm, including a lot of bush whacking. I've used 'water booties' and have had purple toenails after kicking rocks, or have had twisted ankles, so a reinforced toe box and ankle support is key, but not so reinforced that it becomes uncomfortable. Terrain also brings me to probably my most important item:

Grip

If you don't have confidence in being able to leap onto wet granite, then certain areas become inaccessible and travel upstream is limited, decreasing your chances of getting into fish who don't see anglers often. And, back tracking trying to find the 'trail' back upstream can be time consuming, and also an unnecessary strain on your body. The grip has to stick to a variety of sediment and rocks, dry or wet. So far, nothing has close to the Stealth S1 sole, which is a favorite among mountain climbers apparently. Sorry, Vibram, I haven't met one sole that has come close to the S1. The significant other tells me that I look like "Spiderman" when traveling upstream. Other fly fisherman have asked what on earth I was wearing, mostly because of the stickiness of the sole, but probably because the color schemes are a little on the bright side.

So, after 4 years, 150+ trips, and countless hundred miles, my 5.10 Canyoneers finally kicked the bucket, and come to find out, 5.10 got bought out by Adidas and they are no longer making the boot. I should've bought two, since it's becoming difficult to source my size in the U.S., and people that canyoneer are buying them all up. And mind you, I never really 'took care' of these boots like I should have. After a long day of hiking and wading, I'd toss them in the back of my truck in the heat of the sun, and often times leave them there for days or weeks.

Regardless, I found out the hard way that being barefoot in a river sucks after the soles finally delaminated as soon as I had reached my intended GPS waypoint a few miles from where I had parked my truck. (Perhaps some Shoe Goo may fix them, but we'll see what happens, since the stitching looks like it's on its last legs as well.) Stubbed toes, burnt soles of your feet, no traction whatsoever....There's a section on my leg which looks like I've Nair'ed it, after all the hair got sanded off after a slide down a rock face, and my toes feel like I spent the weekend kicking rocks, which I technically did.

Still got plenty of these guys to go tho!

And got to see groups of my oldest friends on this planet.

The good new is that I have a brand new pair of the newer Cayoneer model being shipped from the UK this week.

Bigfly

Reaction score
As a climber, I can say 5 10 is the sticky stuff. There is always a trade off in gear, the stickier the rubber the less wear time before wearing out.
I used to do some canyoneering with harness and ropes, very tough on gear, and found the trick to squeezing the most out of a boot, is to cover every exposed thread with aqua seal before using them. You can get a good resole in Bishop, Ca., lots of climbers in the area so they get good at it. They may be able to re-glue the toe flapper.
Wheeler/ wilson maybe??? Been a while since I needed them....
Good luck on the new boots....be safe, have fun....

Jim

MarsB

Reaction score
My 5.10 Canyoneers served me well for years whitewater kayak steep creeking, for all the reasons you list. I really wish I had hung on to them, it is disappointing Addidas discontinued them. I second Bigfly, take them to a boot repair place and see if they can give them new life! If you are going to try to rehab them yourself, I have found this stuff works far better than Aquaseal or Shoegoo for reattaching soles. Amazon.com: Boot-Fix Shoe Glue: Instant Professional Grade Shoe Repair Glue: Home & Kitchen

acorad

Reaction score
Please let us know how the new Canyoneers perform.

I have good wading boots, but they're not much good at backcountry hiking/climbing/bushwacking.

Andy

darkshadow

Reaction score
Please tell me you didn't have to climb this vertical crack.
Not at all, although that wouldn't be that much of a struggle. I've gone through worse, tho, and looked back and wondered how on earth I got past. (Then wondered how I'm going to get down again.)

Please let us know how the new Canyoneers perform.
Well, so far, there are a few noticeable differences. Because the previous model was a "Search and Rescue" model, according to sources, the boot was a bit stiffer. This new model seems a bit more flexible, and instead of using the buckles, they have opted for shoe laces, which I'm on the fence about. I preferred the buckles, because it honestly provided another layer of protection for the top of your foot. But, we'll see how the shoe laces work out. The sizing is the same, and they come a little big to accommodate wearing a neoprene bootie, which I always do.

I'm going up to Tahoe in two weeks. I'm sure I'll be wet wading, unless there is snow on the ground. I'll let you know how they fare in real life situations.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Give shout and if I"m not booked we can walk the T.
Smoke on the water...Oct. Caddis...rank Browns...
Flows are lower and colder.
Small creeks are almost gone..

Jim

darkshadow

Reaction score
Give shout and if I"m not booked we can walk the T.
Smoke on the water...Oct. Caddis...rank Browns...
Flows are lower and colder.
Small creeks are almost gone..

Jim
Jim,

From my research, it looks like the Truckee and its baby brother are the only game in town.

Gotta find some nice hiking/biking trails to appease the saner half. Any recommendations on some sight seeing?

We're staying on the Nevada side, Incline Village to be exact. I already know that fly fishing 5 days straight is probably out of the question unless I want to be single on the ride home.

yikes

Reaction score
We're staying on the Nevada side, Incline Village to be exact.
Off-topic, I had a construction project there in the late '90s/early '00s. In the pre 9/11 days, you could jam over to Burbank airport, toss your keys to the valet, and be on the Southwest bus-in-the-sky within 5 minutes. In the construction trailer by 10am, reports done by noon, hiking in the afternoon (I wasn't an angler then), home by 9pm, and the client paid for it all.

Back then, Incline Village had the highest per-capita income of any city in the nation. Dot-com billionaires from the bay area were weekending there to establish NV residency, for CA tax avoidance. I think that loophole's been tightened up a bit since then, but Incline Village has been left with a legacy of very high-end vacation homes.

Bigfly

Reaction score
The LT is too low for me. Below 100cfs....
And, you never hear it called "the little tuffy".....
Maybe hike Donner summit.
Fish early and late, so afternoon is open.
Bring your big stick, and one for dries.
I have been know to throw a big dry Caddis on a big stick too.
To deliver it over there....

Jim

Last edited:

satyr

Reaction score
Not that you need it now that you got new boots but the shoe repair store in Bishop is Wilson's Eastside Sports - used to be Wheeler and Wilson's - so Bigfly has a good memory.

Please let us know how they worked when you get back from Tahoe.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Old thread but I want to know , how R U liking those new boots ?
So far, so good, although they've only been out 3 times this season. One thing I am noticing is that it's a lot more comfy, although I did like the stiff sides and tongue of the previous version, felt like I had more ankle support, but that just may be in my mind. I don't mind the shoe laces, and prefer them to the buckle of the old pair.

Of course, the sole is where it's at. Jumped across wet rocks without an issue and mobility on all other terrain was easy peasy.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Old thread but I want to know , how R U liking those new boots ?
After their 5th outing, I'm seeing delaminating issues.

I'm beginning to feel that the old "buckle version" was a lot more rugged than these new versions.

I'll definitely keep people posted, but it doesn't look too good unless I have some Shoo Goo.

osseous

Reaction score
The Desert Rat

This store specializes in canyoneering and has piles of old stock specialty boots on the floor- you might get lucky if you give them a call...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
California has the lowest and the highest elevation in the 48 states, which definitely gives our hydrology its personality. A gentle flowing glassy meadow that you can wade upstream for miles are far and between in my neck of the woods, and pocket water is the name of the game. "Wading" upstream means navigating huge granite boulders, log jams, swift moving water, and a litany of other impediments through amazing canyons that make your average wading boot shake in their boots. And because I wet wade 90% of the time, and am covering a lot of water, finding the perfect wet wading boot became the search for the holy grail.

Until I finally found it.

So what do I look for in a wet wading boot? There are a lot of items that I personally need to take into consideration:

The Hike In

I wish I could park at a turn out and walk down to the local crick, but in California, you hike a lot before making your first cast. You also hike a lot after making your first cast, whether upstream in the river, or off on the trail. That alone requires the boot and the sole to be comfortable and durable, and provide ankle support, while being light weight.

Water

Obviously, a lot of time the boot will spend its time submerged under water, hence the 'wet' part of wet wading. Neoprene, I've found, is the best insulator and is comfortable wet and dry, while submerged in or out of the water. Combined with other materials, it makes sure drainage is key component, but the design needs to be tough as well. If the boot does not have neoprene, that's usually a bad indicator. I've had people recommend me boots whose shell was made out of GoreTex. You don't want to keep water in, unless blisters are your thing. Any necessary drainage holes cannot be large enough to let sediment and rocks in, unless blisters are your thing.

Terrain

Extremely wide range of terrain, on and off the water is the norm, including a lot of bush whacking. I've used 'water booties' and have had purple toenails after kicking rocks, or have had twisted ankles, so a reinforced toe box and ankle support is key, but not so reinforced that it becomes uncomfortable. Terrain also brings me to probably my most important item:

Grip

If you don't have confidence in being able to leap onto wet granite, then certain areas become inaccessible and travel upstream is limited, decreasing your chances of getting into fish who don't see anglers often. And, back tracking trying to find the 'trail' back upstream can be time consuming, and also an unnecessary strain on your body. The grip has to stick to a variety of sediment and rocks, dry or wet. So far, nothing has close to the Stealth S1 sole, which is a favorite among mountain climbers apparently. Sorry, Vibram, I haven't met one sole that has come close to the S1. The significant other tells me that I look like "Spiderman" when traveling upstream. Other fly fisherman have asked what on earth I was wearing, mostly because of the stickiness of the sole, but probably because the color schemes are a little on the bright side.

So, after 4 years, 150+ trips, and countless hundred miles, my 5.10 Canyoneers finally kicked the bucket, and come to find out, 5.10 got bought out by Adidas and they are no longer making the boot. I should've bought two, since it's becoming difficult to source my size in the U.S., and people that canyoneer are buying them all up. And mind you, I never really 'took care' of these boots like I should have. After a long day of hiking and wading, I'd toss them in the back of my truck in the heat of the sun, and often times leave them there for days or weeks.

Regardless, I found out the hard way that being barefoot in a river sucks after the soles finally delaminated as soon as I had reached my intended GPS waypoint a few miles from where I had parked my truck. (Perhaps some Shoe Goo may fix them, but we'll see what happens, since the stitching looks like it's on its last legs as well.) Stubbed toes, burnt soles of your feet, no traction whatsoever....There's a section on my leg which looks like I've Nair'ed it, after all the hair got sanded off after a slide down a rock face, and my toes feel like I spent the weekend kicking rocks, which I technically did.

Still got plenty of these guys to go tho!

And got to see groups of my oldest friends on this planet.

The good new is that I have a brand new pair of the newer Cayoneer model being shipped from the UK this week.
Ok first off, great pics, of amazing country and and beautiful water. I could easily lose track of time for days on end, scrambling, hiking, fishing in country like that. Second, got any pics of the new boots? I will be in the market for a replacement pair of GTX boots that I scramble around in and these sound interesting for that limited duty. I have G3 wading boots etc, which fit neatly in a day pack, for wet work. Thanks.