LA River

yikes

Reaction score
I've fished the LA River on a few occasions for Carp. While I was away last week, we had a pretty epic storm. I was shocked when I saw this video of how high the water came up:

[video]https://videopress.com/v/3tN9fIc8[/video]

I wonder where those Carp are now...?

(Original video can be found here.)

satyr

Reaction score
The LA River gets like that every couple of years and yet the carp are always there so they must find some structure to hide behind.

camp captain

Reaction score
Any tips for the new angler? I want to fish the carp and bass that are there. I was throwing San Joaquin worms and could see them just looking at it..
There was a family there fishing with fresh tortilla.. he was pulling out 6lb carp. He gave me some but I still couldn't get a bite.

acorad

Reaction score
Any tips for the new angler? I want to fish the carp and bass that are there. I was throwing San Joaquin worms and could see them just looking at it..
There was a family there fishing with fresh tortilla.. he was pulling out 6lb carp. He gave me some but I still couldn't get a bite.
Welcome to carp fishing! :) They are picky and spooky as heck. When they aren't eating, you cannot change their minds. Find the fish that are actively eating, it's the only way.

There are some flies that were developed specifically for LAR carp, I consider this one a must-have: Glenn Ueda's Loco Moco Ueda's Loco Moco — THE MIDWEST DRIFT

Andy

yikes

Reaction score
Drive over to Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys and ask for the Carp dude. I can't remember his name but he will be more than happy to give you some pointers and a few flies to try.
The Carp dude is "Dean". He is a real character. Enjoy.

Coastghost

Reaction score
Fished the LA river two weeks ago. Managed a few small carp and a small largemouth. Nymphing... Saw a few larger carp that I tried sight casting to with no success.