Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default California New Regs Will Very Likely Ruin Many Of Our Trout Waters

Hi All,

For those who aren't aware, the Cal Dept of Fish and Wildlife is proposing a sweeping new raft of "simplified" fishing regulations that will affect EVERY body of trout water in the entire state.

CA is a big state, and I only am familiar with some of it's waters, but the proposed regs almost uniformly extend the season, increase bag limits, and reduce or remove gear restrictions altogether on these waters.

After so many decades of working with the angling community with the goal of protecting our trout fisheries, the DFW now wants to "simplify" things which in almost every case will likely result in hurting the fisheries.

This is really a big deal.

My local fly fishing club studied the proposed regs and intended to comment on all of them, but there are so many ways the proposed regs hurt all of our fisheries, and we have so many fisheries in CA, that the club's official position is now that it simply opposes all of the proposed regs.

I really have no idea why the DFW want to do this; making the regs simpler certainly won't stop some people from continuing to ignore them, if that's what they're inclined to do.

The DFW has finished its public meetings on this topic, however the window is still open for a short time only to write to the DFW to provide them feedback.

Please, take a few moments to write your comments to the DFW!

You can download and read the proposed regs, and how they will affect the fisheries you are familiar with, and also comment on them to the DFW here:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/fishing/..._y1zLQlZvKYeAY

Also, Roger Bloom is the DFW's point person on this proposal, pleased also write to him in person at:

Roger.Bloom@wildlife.ca.gov

Every email counts!

Best,

Andy Coradeschi
    Last edited by acorad; 04-11-2019 at 05:17 PM.

2. Likes Ard liked this post

Default Re: California New Regs Will Very Likely Ruin Many Of Our Trout Waters

Here is what I'm writing:

"I am completely against these proposed regs.

CA is a really big state, and its waters are numerous and extremely complex and diverse.

Decades of conscientious stewardship have lead to the creation of the existing specific protective regulations - and their complexity is a benefit to our state's waters, not a drawback to them.

The "simplification" of CA's trout regs will in most cases extend the season, increase bag limits, and reduce gear restrictions on a massive number of our state's trout waters!

That will very quickly allow those waters to become over-fished and thereby ruin the waters.

Please don't enact any of these proposed regs!

Andy Coradeschi"

4. Default Re: California New Regs Will Very Likely Ruin Many Of Our Trout Waters

Fishing is dying and license numbers are falling. The super beat down places get stocking. Off the beaten path is too far to walk for John sixpack or today's kid who only wants to play nintendo bassmaster.

Because the rules change we CR guys still aren't going to be bagging and killing fish.

I think there is a lot less to worry about than you think and I guess the DFG think so too, hence the new rules. Besides, most of Cali is a shtole when it comes to good fishing, minimal crowd, trash free water, poach free water. There are just too many people here our waters are pretty wasted. Just about anything except getting people out of Cali is like a band aid on a bullet hole.

Call me a cynic

Well, the new regs will affect every single trout water in CA, so it really is kind of a big deal.

The existing regs have been built over decades by cooperation between the DFW and fisherman concerned with ensuring our trout waters are sustainable. The existing regs aren't perfect, but what is? I don't see why the DFW would now disregard much of the hard work done.

For example, the Kern River Rainbow is losing some protection. The KRR is native, and beloved. It only exists in its purest form in the small tribs to the Kern. The proposed regs turn over all of those tribs to year-round fishing, whereas now they are summer-only.

The infamous Hot Creek will go from barbless flies only to barbless lures. The Golden Trout Wilderness will add three winter months to the open season, you know, when the fish are breeding. And also go from barbless lures only to no gear restrictions. So, PowerBait, worms, and salmon eggs.

The McCloud from the Dam to Ladybug Creek is losing its protection from barbed hooks.

One of the problems is that digging through the proposed regs and the existing regs and trying to compare them back and forth is hard work, and most of us probably won't take the time to do it.

Those decades of regulation determination were the primary factor in changing the regulations. As I stated on the other thread they seem to be using sound science and history and future potential for the proposal.

In this case, so far, from what I am reading, I agree with the regulation changes.

7. Likes cb3fish liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by acorad View Post
    Hi All,

For those who aren't aware, the Cal Dept of Fish and Wildlife is proposing a sweeping new raft of "simplified" fishing regulations that will affect EVERY body of trout water in the entire state.

CA is a big state, and I only am familiar with some of it's waters, but the proposed regs almost uniformly extend the season, increase bag limits, and reduce or remove gear restrictions altogether on these waters.

After so many decades of working with the angling community with the goal of protecting our trout fisheries, the DFW now wants to "simplify" things which in almost every case will likely result in hurting the fisheries.

This is really a big deal.

My local fly fishing club studied the proposed regs and intended to comment on all of them, but there are so many ways the proposed regs hurt all of our fisheries, and we have so many fisheries in CA, that the club's official position is now that it simply opposes all of the proposed regs.

I really have no idea why the DFW want to do this; making the regs simpler certainly won't stop some people from continuing to ignore them, if that's what they're inclined to do.

The DFW has finished its public meetings on this topic, however the window is still open for a short time only to write to the DFW to provide them feedback.

Please, take a few moments to write your comments to the DFW!

You can download and read the proposed regs, and how they will affect the fisheries you are familiar with, and also comment on them to the DFW here:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/fishing/..._y1zLQlZvKYeAY

Also, Roger Bloom is the DFW's point person on this proposal, pleased also write to him in person at:

Roger.Bloom@wildlife.ca.gov

Every email counts!

Best,

Andy Coradeschi
    News flash- Trout fishing in California as we used to know it already sucks.

CB