Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: CA Fishing help within 4ish hrs from San Jose

Wouldn't 4 hours also get him north to Redding and the lower Sacramento River, avoiding the I-80?
    I assume that Shasta Lake would attract most of the Labor Day crowd, and leave the lower Sac relatively available (though camping would be a toasty proposition).
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Coming from San Jose, might be worth a shot going for the Merced river up to El Portal (entrance to Yosemite). You will start seeing the river after you get through Briceburg. Yeah there will be lots of traffic going to Yosemite but that will be true any where you go on a Holiday weekend. Also there is some one lane areas that slow traffic to a stop. It is beautiful country on your way up there and if you get tired of the traffic the river runs along the highway so just look for a pull out. When you get to El Portal (Foresta Road) you can cross the river and use the old road to gain better access to the lower river. Pack a cooler with cold drinks and food and enjoy yourself but don't expect to get anywhere fast. Can be good fishing for Bass below where the South Fork enters the main fork but water gets colder and there are more trout up river from there.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by angledangle View Post
    Meh. Skip yosemite and come fish in my neck of the woods. The rivers will be prime by then. Stay off the main locations like Kennedy and stick to the smaller pullouts and enjoy pretty pieceful angling. Hit Sand Bar Flat and hunt for some solid browns. Unfortunately we have a weird cyanobacter bloom starting near camp nine so I would stick to the Emmigrant. Clarks Fork torched last year so I would place a wager it will be pretty light that week. Overall, our tourism as a hole has been really light this year it seems. If you head this way hit me up and I will see if I can sneak out for some trout fishing at sand bar or some other hole on the Stan. If you wanted to press a bit furter south there is always Fresno hit Seq/kings. Probably be a bit lighter their and you can always head out towars coursegold and go to yosemite if you really want to be miserable. Good luck
    Assuming by Sand Bar Flat you mean the campground area? I just looked on Google earth and that looks like a great pocket stream going down from the campground. Large boulders, riffles, I think I'm in love. Looks like a decent canyon downstream of the Sand Flat Flat Campground. Does that keep the crowds out?

Is the Stanilus good fishing all the way through there?

Blog Entries

What matters, is water temps.
    If it is a dam release it will fish well.....if not, then poorly.
    Since most fishermen want it EASY.....if you court adventure and walk a ways you can find a fish.
    As always, consider what the universal fisherman would do.....then don't do that.
    Someone mentioned the water being too high......I would prefer high water to low spooky water.
    You just have to have more than just a dry fly game.
    Also, remember that summer time is mostly early and very late......last night it was 8:30pm before we saw any surface action, for about 30 min. So go play with the fam until dinnertime.....then take a head lamp and stay out till they worry.
    Which is good for them...HA.

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

Beware of the Meth Heads on the Feather River! I wouldnít leave a nickel in your car and leave the windows rolled down on your vehicle so they donít get broken!

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I never suggested you fish the feather down in flatsville. Go high away from the city and things are ok.....mostly.
    No real concentrations of druggies up high. The water above Downyville is nice, and the Yuba above hwy 20 bridge.
    Portola area is nice as well. There is always the Truckee if you want some abuse.
    Think bottom of dam release for best results.

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 08-09-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Bigfly

Iím planned on fishing up the 108 corridor on Sunday. Any fly recommendations?

Blog Entries

No info from me.....I'm up north a bit.
    Except maybe go mid-week........ck my Truckee report for bugs.
    Good luck!

Bigfly

Speaking of Truckee abuse, the Little abused me last Oct!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12