Truckee, CA.

Bigfly

Reaction score
So, that's a wrap on Summer!
Most every night will be chillier, and days too. Hasn't frozen yet at this elevation, but bring a light jacket for a dawn attack. And it's nearing the time for a non-leaking pair of waders. Bring some backup clothes as it is still slippery out there....
This my favorite time of year......
As there are fewer fishers out and about, the fish are more likely to eat something......
Mornings are nice.
There are fewer bugs this time off year, what I think of as a limited menu.
Midges early, Hoppers midday, and a smattering of Caddis and tiny Mayflies at the magic hour.
This is another tie or buy alert. Might be September Caddis hatch this year.
I checked another pupating Caddis and it was well advanced. Are you ready for the last big bug?
Locals refer to this time as the shoulder season...we relax a bit before the winter starts. The Squirrels have gotten territorial a little later this year so we may have an extended Fall season...
If you check back through my blog for a decade of observations, you can feel ready for most anything nature can deliver.
Flows are stable, lower, and cooler than a couple weeks ago.
I am feeling the love....

darkshadow

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Jim! Almost a year ago, I was out there in Tahoe and had some pretty good early fall fly fishing.

I'm trying to make my way back up there, since a good buddy of mine recently moved back to Reno and has offered his couch and place as a base camp of sorts.

justahack

Reaction score
Sounds like prime time! This time of year for me is a migration from high elevation lakes back down onto the main stem rivers and eventually tail waters.

Bigfly

Reaction score
It is prime time.
But many fishers have already put away their rods for the season.
Coming into the best fishing of the year.
Don't fish like the other guy........

Jim

yikes

Reaction score
Bigfly, I need to plan a weekend, maybe next weekend, where my wife can enjoy the fall colors while I can do the same PLUS cast a line. Any general areas to recommend?

Bigfly

Reaction score
Yikes......
It's all good as far as I'm concerned. (except seasonal tribs)
I fish the T because I like hard fishing. We call it the Tuffy.....
If you do not want to fish with me to get game on, I'd recommend the Little Truckee.
But since many folks think the LT is hard, I don't know where else to send you.
Put your sneak on for best results. Do it wrong, and the fish will let you know.
Not much color yet.......but water is cold and there are fish in the river.
Let me know if I can help. Call me because I'm not on here all the time.

Jim

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
Howdy all!
Ahhhhh, how nice it is when Summer is done, and everyone has gone home!
Fish are starting to look up more often, which is nice.......
October Caddis started this last week.
I had a client out and while we were looking at bugs, I found a cased/closed off Caddis.
I always feel bad to remove the chance for life from a fellow traveler.....but I popped it open to see how far it was from hatching. When I opened it, the Caddis walked out and up my finger.
No more than a day or so from hatching! That is a first for me, after 30 years of seining and looking.
Saw an adult flying a couple days ago. Game on!
Water is clear and steady at about 300cfs neat town, and 500cfs down below. Near 58 deg.
Perfect for wading.... now restrain yourself from that and things will go better.
If blue skies are out, it will take more game....fish under bushes and in the tree shaded water.
Hoppers are happening mid-day. An orange Stimmy might pass as either Caddis or Hopper.
Oct. Caddis pupa with a midge dropper is a good effort deep.
Pray for clouds!
They are much more active without direct light.
Time to swing a streamer too......
Fish like you do back home and you may strike out altogether.....
Raise your game, for best results.
AB size split shot are standard....a twelve foot leader is a good call....
Extend your drift, and NO sloppy casts or mends!
Good fishing to ya!

Jim

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
Well....we got our first little dose of winter....about an inch...we call it a dusting. It won't last long, and the Browns taste the water change...and start getting rank.
Really pretty out and about, with a little color.
Flows are nice, water temp is nice, bugs are tapering off, with small windows of action.
Days are shortening.....the Geese beat wings and left this week, just before the weather.
Heard Sand Hill Cranes headed out as well. They always seem to know when to go.
That's why I watch........
A smattering of Sept. Caddis, some Glossasoma, a mass of Midges, and occasional Baetis are on the menu.

I've been fishing dries, but also got my new Skagit line on a new reel, and I'm ready to rock if the fish feel like chasing. The Truckee is a good river to practice the casts and drifts a wannabe Steel-head, or what the real thing might like...and standing a while in rain and snow just to refresh my memory to fun pain.............
Bring a coat, and something warm to wear under the waders. Not the heavy stuff yet, but soooooon.
Not sure when it's coming (seems early) but get ready because it is.
Fish now!!

Last edited:

Flypops

Reaction score
CALIFORNIA (working on an escape plan now)
We just postponed a trip up to the Mammoth area due to this early cold snap but will be heading up in a few days and are hoping for a bit of an Indian Summer. Fingers crossed for better weather and fish on the hunt for protein.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Since I'm 4hrs away from Mammoth, not sure what is happening there.
I say, fish when you can.......fish like bad weather.
Winter is here......another inch last night.

Jim

Last edited:

yikes

Reaction score
We just postponed a trip up to the Mammoth area due to this early cold snap but will be heading up in a few days and are hoping for a bit of an Indian Summer. Fingers crossed for better weather and fish on the hunt for protein.
I went up this past weekend to Mammoth, having pre-purchased the hotel the previous week.
A couple of days prior to departure, the weather reports changed to indicate windy afternoons.

Turned out to be first rainy, then windy Saturday morning no matter where we went, with gusts at 35+ mph. I assumed that the UO was completely blown out, and instead tried my hand at several canyons, all of which were also blown out. At RC, I tied on a hopper and let the wind sail it over the water, dropping it in when the gust died down. I got a few bites, but no solid hookups.

On the plus side, the aspen colors are spectacular! I packed away the rod early in the afternoon, and my wife and I just drove around enjoying the trees as they waved and quaked in the wind.

Sunday we woke up to about an inch of show on the car, which again made for great scenery. My wife, who had experienced an exceptionally hot summer without A/C in southern Spain, was soooo happy for the cold snap.

This coming weekend should be great for both fishing and viewing!

4300E2CA-C76F-4E91-BB13-14998FE3A952.jpg

Bigfly

Reaction score
Curious how an east side trip arrived on the Truckee thread? Over 4hrs away and different weather.
How will the guys headed there, find the post here?

Jim