Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: A week to go...

Default A week to go...

The fishing season for many areas in CA ends Nov 15th. I confess that I've not done anywhere near the amount of fishing as previous years, though I did manage my first excursion into golden Trout territory.
    I notice that this forum has been relatively quiet, except for Bigfly's great posts about the Truckee.

How was your season this year?
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

2. Likes Bigfly, cpiercem liked this post

Default Re: A week to go...

I too, wish that i had fished more this year.

It's been a rough couple of past months. Out of a relationship that I was in for 6 years, my yearly 'fishing' vacation took a back seat, and we went to Costa Rica instead, trying to 'fix things,' but that didn't work out as planned.

Dating a new girl now though, who loves to ski, and got us a few days in Mammoth at Juniper Springs (heard of it?) in early December.

"You can fish, I can ski. Or whatever you'd like to do."

She wants to learn how to fly fish, which is always exciting, so i may get use of my 2019 license here soon. Might venture out to our locals soon, just to get her accustomed to casting and what not.

4. Likes cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Dark Shadow....
    You are a slow learner!
    Go fish and forget about being kept.
    I bought bikes, packs, expensive sleeping bags, and of course, fishing stuff.......
    If a girl shows up with the gear, maybe I'll walk the water with her.
    I'm tired of teaching them and outfitting them for their next guy.
    Besides doing the "I don't know, what do you want to do????"
    If you didn't fish in Costa Rica you really blew it.....
    Don't play their game!!!! Go play your own.
    If you wana fish, drive north, the Truckee is flowing.......
    There is but one life to live!!!! Fish it.....

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

6. Likes rustneversleeps liked this post

Had a newer gf and she moved in fairly early in the relationship.

Told her I was going steelhead fishing at a river about 45 minutes away. I should be back in about 4-5 hours, short trip. The creek was real spotty whether they were in it or not. Got to the creek, quiet as can be, no fish to be found. So I cut it short a bit and headed back home.

She was gone, moved out when I got back. We got back together about a week later. I took her out fishing to the same creek, she caught her first steelhead. I didn't buy any fishing stuff for her though.

That was cool, her Dad used to take her to that creek when he fished and she was a kid. She'd just roam the bank.

Not with her anymore. She used her tax return to get waders one year and I broke up with her shortly after.

Blog Entries

There are beverages, and water to assuage your pain.....
    I am past it, so am a fair councilor...
    I am a life gambler...I play the odds.
    Think along the lines of, High Plains drifter....at least in fishing.

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

Blog Entries

Interesting thread metamorphosis I'd say.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

10. Likes ia_trouter, dharkin liked this post

Worst fishing season in about 30 years. I cried about the excessive rains and constant muddy water all year. 3F yesterday so that problem is solved Season doesn't close here so I'll find some open water before too long.

12. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Aside from all the high water we have had here as well I can't complain about the fishing, the catching is whole different matter. My season keeps going through the winter months as long as the temps are above 28 degrees. I fish mainly Brown Trout during the winter months as well as Steelhead when the water is up a bit. Kinda nice when I get to the stream and mine are the only footprints in the snow!

Denny

14. Likes Bigfly, Ard liked this post

Fished a fair amount but not as much this fall as I usually do. Caught lots of fish and some real brutes so that was good. I didn't get a big travelling trip in this year so I will have to plan something for next year. I'd really like to spend some time exploring Idaho and would love to get back to Rock Creek in Montana. I think I could do a quick fly-in trip to Rock Creek with my Southwest miles and rent a car and fish for 4 or 5 days and fly back home. Idaho would entail the long drive from SoCal but would let me fish lots of new water which I always enjoy.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

16. Likes Ard, Bigfly liked this post