SoCal Creek Catharsis

darkshadow

Reaction score
As 2019 draws to a close, the need to get out and unwind finally hit its peak and the trusty 4 weight and I ventured out to a local creek, one that hadn't been visited in years. I had inflated my bike's tires on Saturday night, and by Sunday morning, one had deflated completely, a sardonic metaphor of my last few months, so biking up to the more remote sections was out of the question so I had to hoof it.

I arrived to the locked gate to find a "No Trespassing" sign, something that I hadn't seen there in the past.

As I'm staring at the sign scratching my head, a Prius with the security company's logo races down from the opposite direction and I flag it down and the exchange between the gentleman is priceless.

"So, I can't hike up in there to fish?"

"Yes, you can fish. The sign is clearly for No Cars."

"I believe the sign says 'NO TRESPASSING,' and doesn't mention anything about cars."

"Sir, I work here. The sign specifically says, 'NO TRESPASSING' for cars."

Apparently I missed the "cars" part. But, at least I confirmed foot traffic was not considered trespassing and I wouldn't be prosecuted.

I usually head upstream from the parking areas, because any areas directly up and down from there are heavily pressured, and the mentality of getting away from your vehicle has been ingrained in me ever since I picked up a fishing rod, let alone a fly rod. I walked about 2 miles and realized that my game trails that I had memorized years before were now overgrown, so the obvious side trails were used to reach the creek from the main trail. It would take 15 to 20 minutes to hike down, and because I didn't bring any waders, I could only access 4 or 5 good runs before having to hike back up the main trail and move onto the next one. I spent 2 hours without any solid takes and not spying one fish.

Putting my tail between my legs, I elected to start walking downstream in the direction of my vehicle, contemplating stopping at a local diner for some hot soup and making my way back home before the rain that was slated to start in the afternoon. But, as I got to my truck, I took a trail downstream, something that I had never done before at this place, since these runs are directly adjacent to the picnic and parking areas. This means the empty cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon per mile outnumber the number of trout per mile. A sort of 'blue ribbon' fishery, I guess.

Finally reached some spots that were more more fishing style, and the takes were fast and furios.

3 hours without a bite, and in 45 minutes, I had about 20 fish to hand with many lost to barbless hooks. Obviously, they weren't larger than 9 inches, but it was definitely what the doctor ordered. The largest and last fish was caught with the dry fly being used as an indicator, and came totally unexpected, but I found myself smiling back to the truck considering I hadn't had a dry fly take in months.

The rain began as soon as I shut the door and started the car. The security guard waved as I made the U turn to make my way back home. I sure hope I fish more in 2020. I definitely need it.

djfan

Reaction score
Great stuff. When I lived in So Cal I had to hike far and wide to find such places. Yours looks like San Gregornio? Hunted there a time or two.

Thanks for the share

darkshadow

Reaction score
When I lived in Los Angeles I never knew there were trout streams in the area. I enjoy reading your posts about them. So thank you.
Silver Creek,

About 20 years ago, there were many more blue lines in SoCal that held trout. I would run into a few here and there on hikes, but I hadn't become a fly fisherman then, so I'd over look them.

In the past 8 years or so, I've revisited many of them just to find that drought, fires and poaching had decimated many populations. Im sure there are some still fish around, but the effort to find them and put a cast on them, honestly isn't worth the effort, and I know I sound like the 'glass is half empty' type of person with that type of attitude.

Hopefully with a wetter pattern, these fish will get back, but only time will tell.

What I ended up doing was grabbing some documentation from the DFG that was done years past, on historical waterways that held trout, and you'd be amazed at some of the places that were listed. A quick Google Earth search and you could determine what areas dried up quickly with the historical map search and which areas could hold water year around. There are some obvious ones, but I've also managed to find some that aren't even listed on the maps.

Coming back from Montana every year makes you realize that we really do live in a desert here, and you take what you can get.

yikes

Reaction score
When I lived in Los Angeles I never knew there were trout streams in the area. I enjoy reading your posts about them. So thank you.
Prior to all of the dam construction, many of our streams had steelhead.
steelheadriver01.jpg
After the dams and the concrete flood control channels, the steelhead all but disappeared, and the DFW regularly planted/stocked with rainbows and even some browns. That largely stopped when there was concern over the drop in native toad populations, and trout extirpation programs began on many of those same rivers. In the Last 5+ years, genetic studies of trout in several very remote creeks/streams revealed that despite all the stocking downstream, there are still populations that are genetically closely related to preserved (taxidermed?) native steelhead from the old days. The extirpation programs have halted, and if you search hard enough, you can still find these wild and native trout. (These days, the DFW stocks only a couple of So Cal streams.)

There is some concern that with their isolation and disconnection from the ocean, these populations are inbreeding and not building up the genetic diversity associated with anadromous populations. But at least they survived thus far!
Some of the less-native descendants of previously stocked rainbows are migrating from lower reservoirs up to higher elevation streams during wet years. The dams function as a sort-of reverse "ark" during drought times.

Our local streams don't have much in the way of aquatic insects - - mostly caddis, BWOs, and in one place, stoneflys that were introduced by some boys back in the 1960s-70s. The average wild rainbow catch is 4-7" long, though I have seen as large as 15". One they get large, and the water warms up and the flows drop, they are easy targets by wildlife and by poachers.

Darkshadow's trip reports over the last 6+ years I've been on this forum have encouraged me to get out and explore our local mountains for myself!

darkshadow

Reaction score
Darkshadow's trip reports over the last 6+ years I've been on this forum have encouraged me to get out and explore our local mountains for myself!
Happy to say that I actually procured my 2020 license, and not in February like i think I did my 2019 last year.

First trip of the year didn't involve any fly fishing, but I got reacquainted with my bass gear that had a nice layer of dust built up on it, after an impromptu visit to Paso Robles for some needed vacation out from Los Angeles. Spent more time wine tasting, but gave Lake Nacimiento a try for about 2 hours with nothing but one bite to show for it. The spotted bass were not cooperating, but at least I got some time on the water.

Here's hoping that your 2020 starts off well! One of my resolutions was to get on the water more. Hopefully i stick to it.

acorad

Reaction score
There is security at the parking lot?! That must be a load off your mind while you leave the car.

I was planning on getting up into the San Bernadinos last weekend, but the thought of leaving my car unattended in such a remote area was a show stopper.

Andy

darkshadow

Reaction score
There is security at the parking lot?! That must be a load off your mind while you leave the car.
Andy,

I've heard that it's gotten to the point that in some areas, some people advise taking every literal thing out of your car except the bare necessities, and even leaving your doors unlocked. Sad...

But it was a relief having your own personal security there. Apparently "the state" is doing some work on the dam upstream and they have "a bunch of expensive material and tools" so they are adamant about protecting it. At the end of the day, a HUUUUGE RV was parked in the lot, so I'm wondering if the security company employees will spend nights there, or if it's mean more for the workers.

Regardless, definitely a spot I wanted to try again, but that parking lot always gets to me.

Tight lines and hope your 2020 has started well.

acorad

Reaction score
Thanks DS, wishing you a great 2020 as well!

I am itching to get out into our locals. lmk if you can get out this weekend.

Andy

jbe

Reaction score
I’ve only been fly fishing for the past year and I’ve found the mountains adjacent Los Angeles to be pretty incredible places. Thanks for the encouragement to keep exploring streams beyond of the forks!

Any recommendations on reading about the history of those streams? Trying to get more acquainted with where the fish are now, how they got there, and how things used to be. I had assumed the rainbows in the San Gabriels were holdovers from stocking so it blows my mind to think there are wild steelhead still in the mountains.

yikes

Reaction score
Any recommendations on reading about the history of those streams? Trying to get more acquainted with where the fish are now, how they got there, and how things used to be. I had assumed the rainbows in the San Gabriels were holdovers from stocking so it blows my mind to think there are wild steelhead still in the mountains.
Try this book. I think it is for sale at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, where they also have a great exhibit on steelhead in Southern California. I may have also seen some copies at Orvis Pasadena in the past. Google the title and you will find videos an articles related to it.

Against The Currents.jpg