Bigger than expected

yikes

Reaction score
The local stream fishing has been better than I expected. I am not going to hot-spot here, but I want to share a recent image from a stream that does not normally see trout much larger than about 8-9”.
049CA656-6DCC-4615-903E-14A3BB94A8B6.jpg
This one was at least 18”, and I saw it finning in about 4’ of water, just below a minor plunge. Earlier that day, another angler said he saw a 20” and an 18” spawning in a shallow riffle.

Sorry I can’t be more specific than that. All I can do is suggest you use your “social distancing” mandate to go explore an uncrowded area on your own.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't they close during the spawning down there? They finally did it here about ten years ago because once the word spread of big fish in shallow water you can guess what happened.

yikes

Reaction score
In this general region they do not close the streams, and for the reason you stated (as well as the usual ones) I am not publicizing the location.
I do not fish the spawners, and I stay off the redds. I also did not fish for this particular one, in case it was getting ready to spawn. During spawning, I target the ones that are rising to eat, which makes for a slower day than with streamers.

Ard - let me know if you think I should be doing anything different.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
In this general region they do not close the streams, and for the reason you stated (as well as the usual ones) I am not publicizing the location.
I do not fish the spawners, and I stay off the redds. I also did not fish for this particular one, in case it was getting ready to spawn. During spawning, I target the ones that are rising to eat, which makes for a slower day than with streamers.

Ard - let me know if you think I should be doing anything different.
You sound like a good fella :) The only thing I'd advise is to never tell another guy you run into that you saw anything. He told you he had seen some, that means he will tell everyone he meets. It's all good until the people figure it out and then the hero pictures appear all over the place. I was fishing brown trout every fall before the internet. Fall was football time and generally I was all alone on some of the most famous streams in Central PA. Everyone was at the Penn State game or the Bucknell game and on weekdays they were at work. After my early retirement in 1988 I was able to fish week days, then when I ran my own business from 1991 until I left for Alaska in 2004 I made a schedule that put me off any projects by October 5th every year and the reason was to fish for browns. I had no digital camera and never heard of a forum but caught a lot of fish.

Eventually it became too easy so I stopped sight fishing and fished only deep swifter areas looking for the hidden gems. That slowed the action but I still caught some big trout. By big I mean getting closer to 30 than to 20 inch and fish that had some weight. What I never did was to tell anyone what I was up to. If I did run into anyone along a creek and they ask how I was doing I played absolutely ignorant. Never said I had caught a single fish and left them go on their way. That was before face book and text messaging. All you had to worry about was the guy you met and spilled the beans to going to work or wherever he hung out and spreading what you had said. It was person to person back then, brothers, uncles, friends and etc. Now a 20 inch trout in a small stream near a major city can go (pardon the expression) Viral overnight.

I'll be fishing for kings here this June if we don't have flooding due to snow pack but for anyone to know where I'll be they would have to follow me and I'm not that popular. I honestly never tell anyone what river, what river mile, what was caught, nothing. I like it when I see other fish guides and they are bursting at the seams to tell me how many fish their clients caught and where. I do take into consideration that I may be the 20th guy they told that day and that they also put it on their face book pages.......... Still it helps me plan, I usually go the other direction or the extra miles upriver to avoid the others.

I'm not perfect, most guys would have to be able to fish the spawning season every day for the next ten seasons to even catch up with how many fish I put a hook in while they were trying to reproduce but I got passed it. Only ever hooked one hen in all the years! I was good, I watched, I learned and I knew where every male within 100 feet below a redd was at. But I got passed that. When I was fall fishing I was actually really good about handling them. I had caught enough big trout that I reached a point where I used barbless and just let them go without so much as a picture.

So advice? Enjoy yourself, try to do as little harm as possible while still enjoying yourself and above all else keep it quiet. That's the hardest part I think.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Just make sure you scrub the meta data from the photo before posting.
I'm with Ard....we don't need fish photos really. Folks that know how to fish can find them without help.
Those who can't fish don't need to know....are we fishing for ourselves, or to show others?
By the way.....good spotting!
That is another thing more important than a "cast".

Jim

Last edited:

yikes

Reaction score
Thanks, Bigfly. In actuality, the trout was easy to spot with polarized glasses, because it was slowly weaving in and out of the current. I shot a video on my iPhone, I believe with metadata turned off. Unfortunately, without a polarized lens for the phone, there was a lot of surface glare.

Back at home, I went through the video frame-by-frame to select a frame with less glare, then I did a screenshot, and worked from that - - so those last steps should really have left behind the streamside metadata. I cropped the screen shot to edit out the surroundings, then posted it here.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Honestly, I have seen plenty of fish.
You can post or not....it is your water.
But just wanted you to know, bad people are good at what they do.
I have met many who would remove every fish in the stream, even if they don't eat them. Just so they could scratch the old ego itch.....
The point is, you can spot them, not that anyone else can.

Jim

Last edited:

fly62

Reaction score
I know where thats spot at but I respect it and try not to stress it out. I dont fish the spawn of any fish. I think its funny that some people who fly fish would even dare to guide on those streams knowing how hard they have been hit by pollution, people etc etc. At least that fishery is recovering hopefully it becomes better than what it is.