Fishing near Sooke, Vancouver Island

webfisher

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be lucky enough to be on holiday on Vancouver Island from Scotland at the end of June. Staying near Sooke-does anybody have an recommendations as to best places to fish for salmon and trout nearby? Also hoping to introduce flyfishing to our young children so anywhere suitable for them would be great.

Thanks.

Mark

Flywgn

Reaction score
Gee, Mark. You posted this question and never received so much as a "Howdy-doo". Don't feel lonely, though, you can see from multiple posts that this happens. I think it's probably a factor of lots-of-members and not-so-many-moderators instead of intentional slight.

I post too infrequently on this forum to be the greeter, but how's a belated "Welcome to the forum" sound?

You've come and gone to Soote by now. Hope you found success there in the way of fly-fishing. If you feel like posting your trip, that would be nice.

The reason I found you post is that we are heading to Vancouver Island in a week or so and I was searching around for information here. Not much to be found.

It'll be our first trip to the island and we're looking forward to it. I don't expect to do any fishing there anyway. I'll save myself for the serious streams during our return across mainland B.C. to Idaho.

Allen R

webfisher

Reaction score
Hi Allen,

thanks for your reply and welcome.

We had a great time in Sooke although sadly my Sage rod stayed in its tube for the whole of our vacation in Canada!

I think that, as here in Scotland, the best fishing is to be found in the Spring and Fall. Hope you have a good trip-its a great place to visit. Hopefully I'll return when the children are older and ready for some serious fishing.

Mark.

Flywgn

Reaction score
I'm glad you had a good trip in spite of your entombed rod. I can empathize with the feeling. I've done the same in Scotland, although I did have one marvelous experience (1985) on the Spey.

We're looking forward to seeing Vancouver island. We'll be mixing our trip with camping (small truck with a rooftop tent) and lodging. I haven't really planned to fish on the island, mostly birding and such, but I'm familiar with many of the rivers/streams on the mainland and I'll fish a few of those on the way back to Idaho. We expect to be away three-four weeks.

Allen R

rrdstarr

Reaction score
Just joining the community,
We go out of Sooke every summer for salmon and halibut charters. All the ones we have been on are class act and reasonably priced. I live 30 minutes from Sooke, and kayak fish in that area too but haven't caught a salmon yet on a fly!
$350 for four people for four hours is the usual going rate.

Elk and Beaver Lake are pretty good for trout fishing. You can rent a canoe at the north end of Elk lake for the kids and you.

webfisher

Reaction score
Hi there,

We visited Sooke in the Summer and had a great time but unfortunately only there for 5 nights with young children so didn't have time to fish in the end. Would love to go back in the future. Thanks for the tips-oh and fishing from a kayak sound like a lot of fun!

Mark.

mikishots

Reaction score
Just joining the community,
We go out of Sooke every summer for salmon and halibut charters. All the ones we have been on are class act and reasonably priced. I live 30 minutes from Sooke, and kayak fish in that area too but haven't caught a salmon yet on a fly!
$350 for four people for four hours is the usual going rate.

Elk and Beaver Lake are pretty good for trout fishing. You can rent a canoe at the north end of Elk lake for the kids and you.
A bit late, but something the UK fellows may be interested in - Elk Lake, just north of Victoria BC, is known for monster common carp. I've seen examples north of 9 kg many times during May-July, and they're being caught by casting from ankle-deep water - they cruise the shallows in 2-3 feet of water like brown submarines. Excellent sight fishing. They like leech patterns the best here. My largest is 8.7 kg, caught this past month.

The last time my 11 y.o. son saw one go by, he got out of the water and sat on the shore. "I'm not going back in" he said. It was a very respectable size.

This lake has a huge variety of fish: cutthroat, rainbow, SM bass, perch, bluegills and pumpkinseeds, as well as the carp - it's stocked for trout. It also (believe it or not) has coho salmon (this was due to kids putting fry into the adjoining Colquitz Creek for school projects); my co-worker has caught two over the years. It's a 2.5 square kilometer system (connected Beaver lake included) with a max. depth of 17 meters.

Last edited:

slugger

Reaction score
Hi there, I've just taken up fly fishing this year. I live in Victoria. Many of the the local lakes are stock with Rainbow trout. There are some lakes in Sooke that I've been wanting to hike into as well. Tomorrow however, I'm going to try fishing Cowichan lake!

For future reference, here are the provincial stocking reports by location, species, date etc.

Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC - Stocked Fish

Slainté