Vancouver Island as a first timer?

nvh

Reaction score
Hello!

I think that this forum has more people that have visited Vancouver Island than there are in Finland (where I'm from), so I just might give it a shot.

So I'm planning a fishing trip to Vancouver Island in fall 2013. The trip would be about 2 weeks long, so I think there might be some 10 days or maybe even more for fishing.

I would be grateful for tips on accomodation, guiding services, rivers, gear and flies.

I currently have a 13'6" 7# Double hander and am building a 15' #9-10 rod.
Spey casting is quite new to me, but I can handle it quite well, so that wont be an issue. I also read an article about VI fishing that said that one handed rods in #8 and 9# would be quite handy in tight places and small rivers.
What do you recommend that I should add to those?
As reels I have mostly Danielssons.

Fast sinking lines will be in the shopping cart for the trip as well as T-tips for skagit lines.

We (me and my friend) intend to fish mainly for the 3 big salmon species but steelhead, pinks and sockeyes are welcome too. I did some research and came to the conclusion that late september and early october would suit our needs best, but were open for other options also.
We both have some experience with atlantic salmon, but none on the pacific cousins.

Thank you a lot already!

-Niilo

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Niilo,

I can be of no help but will welcome you to our forum. We have a deficiency of members from Vancouver in general but you may find some who have fish it, I have not.

Ard

mikel

Reaction score
It's been a while since I was there. Here are a couple of links that might help if you haven't found them.

BC Sport Fishing - North Vancouver Island: Port Hardy, British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island | Tourism BC - Official Site

I was there late summer and the rivers were low and warm. I did not fish them due to the conditions. I did fish sea run cuttys and pinks in bays and river mouths and I fished some lakes for nice bows.

Don't forget the stillwater fishing on the Island. I would imagine that in fall they would really turn on for a guy with a toon or float tube.

For accommodations, my wife and I did the B&B thing and had good luck. Probably not what you and your pal are looking for.

In Cambell River these guys were really good to us:
River Sportsman Outdoor Store, Campbell River fishing, hunting, camping

I'd contact fly shops and guides to talk with them about the strength of anadromous returns in the rivers. I recall that their runs were down when we were there. Google is your friend.

Good luck! I loved the island and will go back in a while. Don't miss the west and north parts. :)

-Mike

ra40

Reaction score
Your timing is perfect, September and early October are best for Vancouver Island Rivers, the Stamp river would be my first choice, also Cowichan river is good for salmon and brown trout. Guides that i would recommend would be Murphy Sport Fishing, Dave and Marilyn Murphy are great people and have the island covered, fresh and saltwater, they have a lodge on the stamp river as well. For the Cowichan River area, Kenzy Cuthbert is well known and also have a lodge on the river. Spey is not necessary on the island, your better off single handed stripping flys vs spey and swinging flys. I try to get my guests to use single handed because swinging flys often result in foul hooked fish when the river is chalked full of salmon. You also might want to try some beach fishing for Coho, lots of fun with 7 or 8 weight fly rod, floating line or slow sink tip.

Good luck and feel free to e-mail me if you need more info sts@guidebc.com

Enjoy BC, Vic Carrao.

nvh

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies! I'm getting more and more excited about the upcoming trip :D I'm also planning to take a 15+ hours of driving and go to Northern Norway for atlantic salmon fishing just before I go to VI.

I started a blog where I'm going to post updates on my preparing on both trips. Also some other fishing related stories.

Here is a link for my blog:
Latokaski Fly Fishing

-Niilo

donsundquist

Reaction score
Hi Niilo,

My name is Don Sundquist and I have lived and fished Vancouver Island all my life. You have done your research well. These are my favorite two months to fish!

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Liphookedau

Hi Niilo.
Welcome,it's good to see you join us From Norway,unfortunately like you I'm yet to Fish Vancouver Island,also I ilked your Blog.
Brian.