Best DIY river trout fishing in BC?

fisher_of_men

Reaction score
My buddies and I love to go after wild trout in rivers. Can anyone give recommendations on some good rivers to try in BC? We don't mind hiring a guide for a day or two, but can't afford any more than that. We also don't mind having to hike in. We are all fairly young, with young families, so DIY is the way we have to roll ;). I remember reading in F&S about some rivers just north of Glacier Nat. Park (in the US) where the Canadian government restricts the number of rods per day in the area, and this makes the trout fishing incredible. Any idea where this might be? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

king joe

Reaction score
BC is a big place...most of which is OUTSIDE of Vancouver and area.

I have fished, worked (on fish) and lived through interior and northern BC. If you could be more precise that "BC"....perhaps I or another can help.

King Joe Outa Here!

holywaters

Reaction score
You can't miss with the Elk River in Fernie. The river runs right through town and theres a number of drifts you can do that are about 20-30 min from town. There's also lots of walking and wading. Best freestone dry line fishing in the world... some say.

If you're looking for a GREAT guide, check here: Your Access to the Best Fly Fishing Guides Anywhere | BC Fly Fishing Guides
These guys put together this site because they were fly fishermen who were tired of booking off time and then getting hosed by unprofessional guides and lousy trips. All the guides and trips on this site they've fished with and recommend personally.

rasputinj

Reaction score
I am going to Vancouver at the end of Sept. I am also looking for smaller streams/creeks, to go after Rainbows and Cutts. I want to go after smaller fish not salmon or steelhead since I will only be bringing a 5wt rod.

flytom

Reaction score
I am going to Vancouver at the end of Sept. I am also looking for smaller streams/creeks, to go after Rainbows and Cutts. I want to go after smaller fish not salmon or steelhead since I will only be bringing a 5wt rod.
As a resident of BC for many years, and a Canadian citizen, I can advise that fishing permits costs are, from cheapest to more expensive.

1 BC residents
2 Canadians
3 Americans
4 Others, who must hire a licensed guide.
However it must have been worthwhile, as, when I managed a motel
I encountered many fishing parties from Europe. I resided in Prince George BC
Details can be obtained from BC Government, Victoria.
See my other post about northern BC fishing