Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default BC Fly Fishing Question

Hello everyone, so I am new to this site but have been fly fishing all my life. Unfortunately I live in the UK But I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to come visit your beautiful part of the world for a year with a working holiday visa.

My question is what is the best way to go about fishing all the amazing lakes and rivers bc has to offer.

This might be a stupid question and I could be missing something but all I can find on line is guided trips/fishing holiday type things which are all pretty pricey and not something I can afford on a regular basis.

Over here there are organisations in place which allow people to purchase day tickets to fish for trout/salmon/grayling etc at around $60 per day.

If anyone could shed some light on the matter for me it would be much appreciated!

Blog Entries

Default re: BC Fly Fishing Question

Jack: Welcome to the forum! I can't answer your question as I have never fished in bc. If you don't mind I will change the title of your thread so the members that live in bc or have fished there will have a better chance to answer your question.

Larry
    Larry

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: BC Fly Fishing Question

Bump to the top. Another choice is Google 'BC fly fishers' (or close to that). BC lake fishing is the big ticket on this web board. And welcome to the Board!

Fred
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

4. Default Re: BC Fly Fishing Question

Hi Jack, Iīm from Germany and visit BC 38 times in the last 24 years. Also I had a wholesale in fly fishing equipment running in BC between 2004 to 2010.
    First of all you need a basic license. Itīs available for one day, a week or an annual license. The annual license starts at the first of april and is valid till the last of march next year! Thatīs very nice for me, because Iīm able to fish the late september run of steelheads as well as winter steelheading in february next year on Vancouver island with the same license.
    If you stay longer as two weeks, the annual license is the right choice! You can purchase it by internet here:
    Freshwater Fishing Licence for British Columbia
    Take care, itīs for freshwater only! Next you need is the actuell freshwater synopsis BC for all fishing regulations!
    Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management - Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - Province of British Columbia
    If you decide to fish a lake or a river reed it carefully!!! There are classified waters out there (first and second class, 40 or 20 bucks a day), special lake rules and so on...
    You will find a few river desription on my homepage here:
    Steelhead Rivers in British Columbia Canada fished by Wolfgang Fabisch
    and movies here:
    Canada Steelhead Fly Fishing Movies
    If you need further information feel free to ask. Please excuie my bad english, Wolfgang
    Last edited by wolfi2de; 06-19-2014 at 02:10 AM.

5. Likes fredaevans, jpbfly liked this post

Thumbs up Re: BC Fly Fishing Question

Not to worry Wolfgang, your English is FAR better than my German.

Off to see a few of your links, and that's the problem with fishing in BC .... You need to bring along a Lawyer to interpret (no bad pun intended) to find out the 'who/what/where/when/how/etc.'

Fred

EDIT: Film clips are well worth the 'watch.' Drool factor will go waaaay up.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

7. Default Re: BC Fly Fishing Question

Hi Fred, sorry that I smile a bit, because I had a lawyer due to my business over there. But be sure, you donīt need one for fishing in BC. If you read the synopsis, every important things are pointed out.
    But some of the new regulations, starting two years ago, are really crazy. It is a law now to have a guide in the steelhead rivers up north during the weekends and this makes fishing in the Bulkley, Copper, Skeena etc unbelievably expensive.
    All the best, Wolfgang

Default Re: BC Fly Fishing Question

Hi Jack.
    Welcome to The Forum we have a few members from The UK & also have a Sister Forum over there.
    As yet I haven't Fished BC hopefully next year.
    Brian

Welcome. When will you be in BC? Are you going to be in one place in particular? It's a BIG place. The fishing opportunities are amazing and a lot depends on personal preference. I work there and spend quite a bit of time in BC and Alberta. I was there a couple weeks ago and the rivers were going full tilt. I'm in northern BC next week and am hoping things have settled down a bit. If not, I'm going to hit a lake or two. The Fraser is set to have a record salmon run this year. Once this epic snow melt is out of the way, it's going to be an awesome year!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi2de View Post
    Hi Fred, sorry that I smile a bit, because I had a lawyer due to my business over there. But be sure, you donīt need one for fishing in BC. If you read the synopsis, every important things are pointed out.
    But some of the new regulations, starting two years ago, are really crazy. It is a law now to have a guide in the steelhead rivers up north during the weekends and this makes fishing in the Bulkley, Copper, Skeena etc unbelievably expensive.
    All the best, Wolfgang
    Roger that on fishing the weekends in BC with the Guide bit. 'Full employment economy' sort of thing. Save for a few places you didn't need a Guide in BC so they tossed this 'rule' into the mix. Your only option is to kick two days fishing down the drain.

Know a couple of fellows who will drive up over Sat-Sunday and fish Monday to Friday and head back on the weekend. As they have a boat, needing a guide is even less cost effective.

Ah well, with our Petrol prices now at the four dollar per gallon level most folks are fishing close to home. But those are "far better" than what you folks pay in the UK and Europe.

Fred

11. Default Re: BC Fly Fishing Question

Hi Fred,
    only to the gas situation: Last wear we payed up to can$1,45 per liter in Chilliwack, what is close to six dollar a gallon! I was very surprised, that it was cheaper in Prince George. I started in 1990 with can$0,39 per liter...

All the best, Wolfgang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast