Bull River info

huronfly

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, Ill be doing a trip out to and around BC and I plan on fishing the bull for some cutties/bulls. Does the water upstream the electric dam hold bulls along with cutties, or just cutties? Also if I wanted to fish the lower part of the river below the dam, where might be my best bet for access? Thanks

kevinmalone

Reaction score
Hi, I know your post is quite old but I thought I would give a reply for future reference.

You will hard pressed to find a bull trout above the new dam, there are legends of people still finding them but I have never seen or had someone tell me they got one. As far as below the damn, you can access the very end of the bull river from the bull river road where the road crosses the river. This area is referred to as the "old dam" area and is just past the bull river pub. This area will not likely have any bull trout, but you will find rainbow and cutties both up towards the old damn and down towards the kootenay river. Another good spot to access is just at the end of the canyon after the new dam. Once you have passed the mine "bull river mineral" on you left side you are almost the location to access the river. the dirt road will become narrow and begin to decend towards a one lane bridge that crosses the canyon section of the bull river. Once you begin to decend look to the right hand side and you will see a gated off area for the hydro employees, you can park out of the way here and walk down to the river. As long as you don't block the gate you wont have any problems. Hope the yellow gate and follow the road down to the river for the easiest path, once you get to the river head down stream and you will find bull trout and cutties. Hope this helps if you plan on heading back ever again.

holywaters_ca

Reaction score
I've fished it right at the Damn itself, there were TONS of big bulls in there. I'm not sure there is any above, but if you go way up the cutty fishing can be unbelievable.

I know a guide that is dialed in up there, so if you need some info PM me

over and out