kamloops

buckwheat

Reaction score
planning a trip to the Kamloops area where we took our family vacations when i was a kid. havnt been up there in about 25years and wanted to take the wife and kids up there for a fishing vacation. looking for some info on camping areas. having trouble finding any info on the net. specificaly Kentucky Lake and Pavilion Lake. was able to dig up some info on Kentucky Alleyne park. was told some years back that there was no longer any camp areas at Pavilion Lake. any info would be appreciated.

buckwheat

Reaction score
montanamoose thanks for the info. i guess i need some surfing lessons. last time i was up there we usually had the whole lake to ourselves i can only emagine how its changed. hopefully the fishing is still good.

MontanaMoose

Reaction score
Yer welcome buckwheat...I hope the fishing is good when you're there too. Maybe you'll tangle
with some of those big Kamloops RB's...take lots
of pics !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

buckwheat

Reaction score
with the pop growth i just hope there is still some fish around. when i was a kid i dont think we ever caught anything under 20". lots of fish 25 to 30. we will see this summer. hopefully i remember the camera.

MontanaMoose

Reaction score
I hope you remember the camera too and that you get some 30" Kamloops...that would be great...

Oh, found out something interesting recently...the Coquahalla (sp) hiway is no longer a toll road and if you haven't run it, it goes from Kamloops to Hope....I did it when it first opened and was a toll road. It cuts the better part of a days drive off the trip back to the States from Kamloops.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Jimmie

Reaction score
A little off topic but I hadn't heard "Kamloops" for a lot of years. Years ago at June Lake in Ca I caught a trout that was all silver and grey (no colors). It looked just like a RB. Haven't caught one before or since. A guy at the lake called it a Kamloop. Does that sound about the right look?

MontanaMoose

Reaction score
Hello Jimmie, I know, those magical 'Canada' words that bring back great memories ! Well,
having fished around June Lakes Loop, Rush Creek, etc. I'd take a wild guess and say the
silver and grey trout may have been a Kokanee
Salmon. Again, that's a wild guess.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Jimmie

Reaction score
Hello Jimmie, I know, those magical 'Canada' words that bring back great memories ! Well,
having fished around June Lakes Loop, Rush Creek, etc. I'd take a wild guess and say the
silver and grey trout may have been a Kokanee
Salmon. Again, that's a wild guess.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Thanks Moose...............Jimmie

buckwheat

Reaction score
moose, i did not know they had toll ways up in that area i will have to keep an eye out for that road. 30" fish would be nice having never fly fished up in that area i hope i can figure out what they are eating. my 8 year old refuses to use spinning gear so i will probably be spending more time helping him. usually kids get board after about 10 minutes no matter what kind of fishing they are doing. he can stand out there for hours slinging them flies around. snaps off about 50 bucks worth everytime we go. money well spent.

buckwheat

Reaction score
moose thats what i was thinking, kokonee. those kamloops what i remember have a bright red stripe.

MontanaMoose

Reaction score
You're welcome Jimmie !

buckwheat, yes, Canada put a toll on
the Coquahalla until it was paid for from
my understanding. It was just finished enough
to drive through to Hope from Kamloops but
there weren't any rests or side tracks yet...just the highway.

Good for your 8 year old and shoot, get him a
vice, hooks and feathers and watch what happens.
As far as catching the Kamloops where you wind up,
I'd take a guess and say start with nymphs or
maybe small leech patterns, even wooley buggers
down about 6 or 8 ft. deep and strip line in real slow,
see what happens. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Well the Kamloops are a rainbow and I see them referred to as redband also.
Stocks have been moved around North American but the lake dwelling Kamloops
that you're after could be the originals...kinda makes sense what with the name
and all. Maybe someone will chime in with more on catching them and such.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

buckwheat

Reaction score
he doesnt seem to be to interested in tying yet. i just started myself so i wouldnt be much of a teacher. out here we dont have access to any tying classes so its learning to tie by watching videos. in fact i will be tying some today since we are in the middle of a blizzard. looking out the window is like stareing at a white wall, couldnt get to work this morning, bummer its an overtime day. tying flies is more fun than making OT anyway.

MontanaMoose

Reaction score
Tying flies isn't something I do much of anymore but I like tying. For this summer I'm going to try
my hand at a new blue damsel I saw at a recent
tying show. Very simple and accurate looking.

Also for bass I need a rainbow trout pattern but
something around 8 or 9'' long...seems bass really
love the planters at my nearby lake !

What did you tye today?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

buckwheat

Reaction score
i bought some trout patterns from cabelas a while back that would probably work for you. i used them on the snake in the fall when the browns are on there spawning beds. worked well for that. today i tied up some X caddis, elk hair caddis, and some copper johns. have not had a chance to use any of my flies yet. hopefully this summer i can try them out.

MontanaMoose

Reaction score
I re-read my last post and it sounds like I want
flies to catch planter trout so I can use them for
bass bait. Not the case ! Heh, heh ! What I mean
is, I need some flies for the bass that look like
the shiny planted RB trouts in my nearby lake.

Sounds like you're a fairly advanced tyer to me..
got pics of your work?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

buckwheat

Reaction score
i knew what you meant by needing some flies for bass that look like little trout. the ones that i bought at cabelas look pretty close to a little rainbow. i wouldnt call myself an advanced tyer, not by a long shot. still trying to get the elk hair to stay on top of the shank rather than rapping all the way around. getting better though. pretty soon it will be time to move on to a tougher fly. the copper johns i still get my spacing all fouled up. they almost look like store bought. i have only been tying since christmas of this year. i would post some pics if i knew how to get them on the page.

MontanaMoose

Reaction score
Well stick with it of course and you'll be fine. Hmmm....about the pictures. Do you have a picture hosting account anywhere? That's the first'
thing you'd need...then it's easy from there.

Elk hair on top of the hook...well I seem to remember something about pinching it so it's on
top of the hook, then start the wraps semi-loose
then tighten down after the first few...supposedly
the hair won't flair then. I think they call those
first few wraps 'gathering wraps'.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

buckwheat

Reaction score
no, i dont have picture hosting account. i can download pictures on to the computer. is there something different i need to do.

the last few caddis i tied turned out pretty good, i think. at least the hair was mostly on top. i have always heard pretty flies dont catch fish any way. well mine aht to catch lots of fish. what kind of fishing do you have down your way.

MontanaMoose

Reaction score
Loading pics

Hello again buckwheat, well you'd need a picture
hosting website such as photobucket.com which
is a popular pic hosting site. Open a free account
and from there it's pretty much self explanatory.

Once you load pics to the site you will then be
able to post them here a couple of different ways
most likely. Here's two methods to show the same pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/MontanaMoose/P_02008.jpg

I've got salmon, steel, freshwater bass, bluegill, crappie,
yellow perch and trout, then there's the whole ocean
scene that I have yet to tap into but I want to soon. Ok,
looking forward to seeing your fly pics !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose