Lost lake, ca sierras

pescatore

Reaction score
Greetings:

On a recent Fly Fishing Vacation in the N. CA Sierras, I spent a day on my return home shooting Landscape Images of the areas I traveled through. I began shooting at the West Carson River, CA at Highway 88 back to the famous Highway 49 on the western foothills of the Sierras. The drive takes you through gorgeous sites of the Alpine region of the CA Sierras near Caples and Silver lake, which are both very near 8 thousand feet ASL.

The image below with very interesting geology in the foreground, includes a lake that is West of Kirkwood Ski Resort off of Highway 88. I call it Lost Lake because we cannot find a name for it, probably on a USGS map, but I gave them away years ago when I reduced my hunting activity. I'm certain that one could pack in there, but at my age... I would prefer being delivered and picked up by a Chopper.

Creeks, Springs and Snow Melt feed that area most of the year so, the lakes there are fed with water regularly. I imagine the fishing would be out of this world if in fact there are fish there. I have photographed and scoped it with Long Lenses many times over the past 25 years, and have never seen humans, Deer! oh yes. The Depth of Field is deceiving here due to the Telephoto Lens and some pretty serious cropping for a 5X7 frame... the lake looks surprisingly close but it is quite far.

Enjoy,

Don
:cool:

Camera: Nikon D3, W/70-200mm f/2.8 Lens @ 120mm, Shutter-1/250sec, AP-f/10. Conditions: Cloud Cover. Post Processing Adobe Photoshop.
LOST LAKE, CA 070818.jpg

dakotakid

Reaction score
Beautiful shot.

The lake may look close, but even if it was, my eyes are telling my knees that it would be a strenuous hike back up to the road.

pescatore

Reaction score
Beautiful shot.

The lake may look close, but even if it was, my eyes are telling my knees that it would be a strenuous hike back up to the road.

I agree, that lake is nearly 1 thousand feet below where I was shooting from. Telephoto's and cropping can change aspects very quickly. A long and tedious hike, Gotta have a Chopper for that fishing expedition.

Don

pescatore

Reaction score
Yes Geological formations all around this area.

The Geological formations begin about 10 miles west of this Shot Site and all the way to Highway 395 south of Minden, NV. I have found many beatutiful rock specimens including quartz and some nice thunder-eggs.

Thank you for stopping by and the links. The HillMap is new to me... I checked it out and I found it will be very useful. TNX.

I have explored the CA Sierras in fair detail for over 45 years now which required detailed USGS maps. I had 1/250,000 scales maps of the CA Sierras from Tehachapi to Alturas in tubes behind the seats of various Trucks that we used for Fishing and Hunting outings but, after years of toting them around, I decided to give them away and replace them with Internet Available Maps. I still miss having some of those paper maps to lay out and study, I except I will again begin a collection when I relocate to the Panhandle of Idaho.

Regards,

Don

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Don

Awesome photo, I really like the rock formation in the foreground!
I agree, that climb in and out to fish that lake looks more like something for a 20 year old to tackle.....I'm too old for that kind of climbing.

cmcdhuibh

Reaction score
Orangevale Ca.(Sacramento) Estes Park Co.
another thing on the hillmap is the spot you click on the map will give you gps location, elevation, slope a drop down link for weather and one for a 360* peak finder from that location.
I always carry a paper map if hiking though.

pescatore

Reaction score
The HillMap is a good application. I have spend sometime working with it and enjoy the features. I typically have my GPSMAP-64st with me when I am shooting Landscape Photography. I can interface the receiver to my DSLRS, thus providing a method to insert the coordinates into the Metadata. Mostly for my benefit... because I do not remember the shot location details.

This September after fishing for about three days, I will take a day and a half with the Nikon gear and cover some of the Landscape including some panoramas.

Regards,

Don