Carson River, Hope Valley, CA

pescatore

Reaction score
Greetings:

This is a shot across the NW corner of Hope Valley with a piece of the Carson River meandering through. Just to the right of the mountains in the far distance and about 20*N and 10 miles, is Lake Tahoe. There are Brook, Brown and Rainbow Trout here... they mostly hide under the undercut banks waiting for food to drift by. This time of year, late June, the water is quite low but, the fish are still hunkering in the deeper water.

This is one of my favorite Sierra valleys and quite long, over six miles. There is plenty of room for Fishing and Hunting and five alpine lakes above the souther area that produce large fish. In the fall, the valley looks like a carpet with colors from the Aspens that are blended in with the firs and pines.

Enjoy,

Don :cool:

Hope Valley is in the Eastern California Sierras at 7000 feet ASL, Highway 88 cuts through the center going North and South. INFO: ( Hope Valley )

Attachments

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Beautiful Don.

This was taken years ago but worth showing to you, they call it Arc Angle Valley, we used to take Boss on hikes there when he was young.

pescatore

Reaction score
Ard:

I presume this is Arc Angel Valley near Palmer Alaska?

Rough country in the winter.

Don

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Don

Your Hope Valley with the Carson River flowing through it sure is gorgeous, your lucky to have such a great piece of water to fish!

pescatore

Reaction score
Larry:

Yes, this area is like Paradise to me. Sometimes in the late summer when all the Metro Morons have gone home and I have had my fill of fishing for the day, I hike up the valley and dispatch a few squirrels and sometimes Coyotes with a Remington Varmint Rifle chambered in .223. For the real long shots, I switch to the Remington VLS in .243... it dispatches them at 500 to 700 yards as long as I can do my part. The south part of the valley is where multiple Beaver Dams are on the Carson River. Some really big Trout hanging in those Beaver ponds, a few have taken my Humpy's in their lips as they broke a 3Lb tippet.

The more remote, the better I like it, most of the time, it's difficult to go home, the Sierras feel like a part of this Country Boy. I sometimes take along my Amateur Radio Gear and operate remote, powered by battery packs. There is little man-made noise up there to interfere with the weak signal stations I enjoy working.

I am headed up in that neck-of-the woods in August, probably stay in Markleeville, CA or Woodfords for a few days, and fish out and around that area maybe go lower on the Carson down towards Nevada where the Cutthroats are.

Thanks for stopping by.

Don

Last edited:

pescatore

Reaction score
Ard:

Thanks for stopping by and your remarks.

I had Alaska in my territory when I was with GE, never had the time to fish or hunt but taking in the beauty was so rewarding. What a magnificent area of the US. So wild... yet occupied by civilization..

Gotta get up there while I can still swing a Streamer.

Regards,

Don