Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where r the shutterbugs?

I agree.My 6D is weather sealed but not waterproof. Same with the 70-200,24-70 and 24-105 lens.I have used them in early morning fog and light snow but i would not trust using them in the rain or in the boat.A much cheaper P&S camera is a lot easier to replace in case of an accident.
    -Steve

"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm."-Patrick f. McManus

A few from a fall trip last year on the Klamath.

IMG_2441.jpgIMG_6127.jpgIMG_6151.jpg

3. Likes dakotakid, MCHammer liked this post

Most of my favorite fishing images have been a result of "shadowing" a friend while they fish and capturing a moment now and then. I've found that if I line up the right ingredients it's possible to snap a picture from time to time that I tend to like - but the ingredients are far more 'key' than me or any gear list that might exist. In terms of what I ideally want: weather (really good or really bad, but not in the middle), someone who can cast/fish, willing critters, and a splash of luck. I'll fish in a hurricane and I'll fish in perfection....come to think of it, I'll fish in just about any conditions but photos boil down to weather that is either great or terrible when it comes to memorable.

I was dealing with post-breakfast chores one day in Stuart, Florida when a friend in Key West called and asked what I was doing. I could tell from his tone that it was a loaded question. I was living well over four and a half hours from Key West and so his comment that "it's on, get a rod and get down here" was something that my wife had to take at face value and I was on the road 20 minutes later. I tossed two 11wt outfits in the car and a Pelican case containing a camera with wide lens, charger, several batteries and a memory card or two. Upon arrival in Key West, the word had spread and the notion of getting into the thick of it with the worm hatch was on. We loaded a cooler with what seemed like adequate hydration and set off from the dock at Coconut Mallory with several flies that a friend guaranteed would come tight.

As we eased out into the zone less than 15 minutes from the dock I could tell from the number of adult tarpon swimming around that it wasn't an 'if' situation, just a 'where' thing. As such, I wanted the bite to be on the starboard side of the boat strictly from a lighting standpoint. I asked my friend to only cast on his backhand and it came tight less than three casts later:

salt16.jpg

Similarly in cold weather, it's often really uncomfortably cold and were it not for how fishy things can be in December, none of us would vacate our homes to do this stuff. I was in WY with someone I've fished all over creation with and he entered the water before I did. By the time I was ankle deep, he was already releasing the first fish - in the midst of a full blown snow storm:

F1.jpg

Some of the images I've snapped have involved a tad more effort and a willing partner is absolutely necessary. I knew what I wanted from the get go and thus I was waiting with a housed-camera in a housing with 8" dome port and we got what I was after...but it isn't a "just grab that shot with your iPhone" kind of situation, it took some effort:

sML8158w.jpg

I think we as anglers all too often get caught up in the catch, grip-n-grin, etc. and completely miss the fact that we pursue this sport in some pretty nifty places. Many of us that have chased fish have likely looked out of a plane window wondering what might be swimming down there:

MarkLewis.s-1258g.jpg

If we want to really convey what we experience as anglers, it's going to involve getting wet, be it a mountain stream or out in the ocean. We often hooked up sailfish where I lived in Florida and when it came time to boating them it wasn't rocket science to be photographing them in the water (yeah, knowing if they were tired was vitally important!). In any event, this shot was made after quickly draining my pockets of wallet/keys/phone, grabbing housed-camera and hopping over the side of my boat. Not something to do with a grean one, but a fish that is unhooked and heading away is fair game for photo purposes:

w.MarkLewis-0743trst.jpg

Apparently I can only attach five images to a post. Alas, I had more but those aren't going to happen.
    Last edited by hatidua; 10-29-2018 at 09:57 PM.

5. Likes dennyk liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12