Where r the shutterbugs?

pescatore

Reaction score
Greetings:

I have been on and around this site for several years and have always wondered why the Photography Forum was underutilized. Photography can be a part of any outdoor activity and is especially fruitful when incorporated into Fly Fishing, mostly due to the nature of the landscape where Fly Fishers hang out, there are so many beautiful places that Fly Fishers go where they could snap a few images and share the beauty with others. Of course I am partial to Photography, both for some extra income and as an travel companion to my hobbies.

I began enjoying photography back in the 60s with 35mm format then graduated to medium format. About 15 years ago I set aside the film cameras and entered into the DSLR realm and never returned to film. The quality of digital is superior to film, and ease of transporting image files is far beyond what one can do with emulsion coated negatives. Plus... you don't have to worry about the aging of the film emulsion.

I look forward to some chatter on this forum, I always enjoy discussing photography with others, especially when Fly Fishing is the main course.

Regards,

Don
:cool:
I always try to incorporate photography into Fly Fishing, it supports the stories about the Big One I caught.
The NW corner of Silver Lake in the Norther California Sierras. Home to Brook, Brown, Rainbow and Mackinaw. Shot during a Fly Fishing Trip recently.
SILVER LAKE-THUNDER MTN 08-26-17 copy.jpg

stenacron

Reaction score
Photography can be a part of any outdoor activity and is especially fruitful when incorporated into Fly Fishing,
I always try to incorporate photography into Fly Fishing, it supports the stories about the Big One I caught.
I couldn't agree with you more. I love reading the fishing reports here on NAFFF and those that include pictures, not only of the fish, but as you say the surroundings, wildlife, points of interest, etc. really stand out.

I don't have expensive photo gear, but I almost never set off on a fishing trip without a camera tucked away in my fly vest. Here are a few from one of my favorite day hikes in the High Uintas...

Ruth Lake
01.jpg

Jewel Lake
19.jpg

Tiger on the prowl
12.jpg

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful shots all of them.

I have 2 affordable water proof / resistant point and shoot cameras that I always have with. One in my jacket or wader pocket and one in the boat bag. They take decent pictures and I don't worry about them getting wet etc. but my old Nikon D80 takes a better image I think. Problem is the D80 is bulky and more fragile than the P&S affordables.

Funny this thread popped up because I've been shopping for something in the middle of the range of cameras I have, something that will produce good landscapes and macros but not be bulky like the DSLR camera.

One of the people who fished with me in June had a six year old Canon G-12 that was pretty slick. Slick to the point that I've been looking at them, there are a couple others on the short list too so when I suddenly start posting photos every day you guys will know I got something that has my interest up again.

In the mean time here's a few from the D80.

That was me testing a 10 - 20mm zoom lens down at the Inlet.

The view while steelhead fishing in late fall where the fish are..

This is an October full moon with sunset as seen with the Chugach Mountains glowing magenta and the sky behind darkening by the minute.

pescatore

Reaction score
Greetings:

Wow! some really beautiful images, I knew there was talent out there...all it would take was some catalyst.

Good works folks.

Regards,

Don

HOMEBREW HUMPY:An excellent Trout attractor
Humpy 7-7-16.jpg

pescatore

Reaction score
Hello Agn:

I must reiterate, those images you folks posted after I began this skinny thread, are very good.

For photography around the water, I use a Coolpix AW-100, I give it a pass, its a nice little package that does decent work.

I was skeptical when considering it, I had previously owned a Nikonos which I used extensively for diving in the S. Pacific during my tour in the US Navy. It was a true waterproof camera. I have always been a bit leery about the use of the definition "Waterproof". Many cameras are water-resistant but, water proof is a completely different category. However, this little Point-N-Shoot does the job when I am in the water and I can submerge it without worrying about its integrity. I only wish that Nikon would have provided a cable tethered remote LCD Screen, so one could see what they were shooting under the water, while kneeling or standing. The LCD Screen could be affixed to the arm for viewing while the camera was manipulated under the water.

I would never consider bringing my other DSLR cameras over the water, maybe the 70-200 mm Telephoto hanging over the bank is about as far as I would go with that gear. They have good seals, I use them in the rain and around water spray but submersion.... now that is a different category altogether.

I very much look forward to hanging around this Forum, as we have seen this week, Photography and Fly Fishing complement each other.

Regards,

Don
:cool:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll try to tell briefly how I decided to get the water resistant point and shoot cameras for you, it's been years now. I started using a SLR back in 1981, it was an SRT 100 Minolta and I lucked out because a friend had just taken a photography course as an elective in school, he still had his text book from the course and loaned it to me. With that I had a good understanding of how things worked and I took some pretty good photos. I purchased 2 more Minolta bodies and many lens's for them and became a shutterbug so to say.

Fast forward to 2007 when I bought a Nikon D80, I used it a lot and always had photos to view or to post here. Then one rainy day around 2010 or so I was fishing for Kings with the camera protected in my dry bag. The rain stopped and I had taken some pictures, I had moved several miles up river and decided to take a picture there. When I went for the camera it was not back in the dry bag! A quick look around showed that it was no where in sight.

Boats are like big tubs, when it rains they catch as much water as the square footage will allow. I had set that camera on the rear bulkhead where my seat is mounted and when I had hit the throttle to move upriver it tumbled backward and was in the area where your bilge pump is located................... Wet, yep pretty wet. It survived and still works today but I never trusted myself to take it along in the river boat again.

Once you start using a P&S camera, especially one that can get wet, it's hard to imagine taking the big DSLR along unless you are going on a dedicated photography trip. When I do that my old camera is safe because it is the center of activity. I miss the quality of image and the versatility of the SLR when using the P&S but I don't miss the threat of ruining the Nikon.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I agree.My 6D is weather sealed but not waterproof. Same with the 70-200,24-70 and 24-105 lens.I have used them in early morning fog and light snow but i would not trust using them in the rain or in the boat.A much cheaper P&S camera is a lot easier to replace in case of an accident.

chi.fly.guy

Reaction score
As a man I met on a river said, "trout don't live in ugly places."

What a cool guy he was. Never caught his name or anything just spoke a few words with him as we were getting back in our cars. Kind of a Sam Elliott vibe.

patrick62

Reaction score
I've used a series of point and shoots. I buy them used/refurbished, under $100. The current one is in its third year. Eventually I drop them in the water or they **** out naturally.

Esteban Urban

Reaction score
100% agreed. I found in photography and post-production a great complement activity to my daily guiding work. Fly fishing and guiding usually faced me to great places, landscapes, wild life as well as fishes and mostly moments to portrait. It's a great and lovely activity.
Hope this sub-forum start breathing again with awesome tips, tricks and recomendations!

Esteban.