Yellowstone Nat'l Park - July 25-26

stenacron

Reaction score
Just got back from 5 days in YNP with my daughter. Made some wonderful memories again including Wednesday's hike to Mount Washburn where we were greeted by a large herd of Bighorn Sheep. :cool:

Thursday and Friday morning were fishing days though...

My daughter on the Gallatin. Huge disappointment as the stream looked great, plenty of insect life, but very few trout that wanted to play. Scenery was "OK" though :p

Gallatin had us a little bummed, so we re-grouped in West Yellowstone and set off for the Lamar Valley in the afternoon. The Lamar River itself was looking pretty "skinny" so we pushed on hoping for better flows.

We settled on Soda Butte Creek for the evening as we couldn't pass up the chance to possibly fish amongst the Bison herds. Not knowing what to expect fish-wise, we dropped in and started the pursuit.

Sure enough... Soda Butte is a wonderful little Cutthroat Fishery with willing biters ranging from 10-14 inches.

My daughter soon caught her first ever Yellowstone Cutthroat!

...and it seemed like the perfect time to find out how water-proof my new waterproof camera is.

Then some unexpected - but welcome - company showed up!

This was just about the best fly-fishing experience my daughter and I ever had together. Once the shadows got long, the Yellow Sally's started popping and it was on!

Moments like this will be forever burned into my memory.

The next morning it was time to hit my favorite - the Gibbon River

First fish of the morning... 18" brown! Now that's the way to kick off a day.

Rainbows were hard to come by on this trip... just a matter of location though I'm sure. This one - while lacking in size - was quite lovely and the picture just doesn't do it any justice.

Beauty is everywhere in YNP... from big to small and everything in between.

Already counting the days until next summer... not sure how many of these my 19-year old daughter and I have left... but we squeezed every bit of fun that we could out of this visit!

Last edited:

countr21

Reaction score
This is such a money thread.......I think everyone's gonna appreciate these pics. Yellowstone and the adjacent areas are, after all, the mecca for Rocky Mtn fly fishing!!! Every single water you fished, I have read about in my bible, Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry by Rich Osthoff. I'm super jealous.

Friggin awesome!!! Thank you so much for sharing

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Joe: Great trip report and photos, really makes a person want to jump in the car and make a bee line to YNP for some fishing! Thanks for sharing.

Larry

jmc5000

Reaction score
Outstanding! Very cool place and to share it with your daughter is truly special. I will be there over Labor Day week and plan on hitting Slough Cr and Soda Butte Cr as well.

-jmc

mysticm

Reaction score
Joe- What a nice experience and trip summary! I hope to experience this with my daughters someday in the near future. Pictures like these make me realize why I love FF so much...

chechem

Reaction score

stenacron

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies!

And now the alternative balance to last week's highest-of-high's... this week I find myself in the mountains of southern Armenia for work. Life is crazy sometimes. :(

swimmy

Reaction score
Just got back today from NE corner of the park. Fished Soda Butte for a couple days and it was good. Most fish were 15-17" but a couple topped 18". I got bored catching 'em on dries and nymphs so the last day I through mouse patterns all day. Moved a couple but none in the hand.

Catching a fish up there is really a bonus.

countr21

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies!

And now the alternative balance to last week's highest-of-high's... this week I find myself in the mountains of southern Armenia for work. Life is crazy sometimes. :(
mountains??? mountains???

R U sure they're ain't trout in them mountains???

J/K hope you return safely :eek:

jslo

Reaction score
WOW! What a report. I loved it. It's super cool to be up their with your daughter, as you said "etched as a lifetime memory". Good for you guys. Fantastic.

I hope to fish there myself someday!

stenacron

Reaction score
mountains??? mountains???

R U sure they're ain't trout in them mountains???

J/K hope you return safely :eek:
Funny you should mention that... the valley approach to the jobsite was cut by a roaring stream and at lunchtime we were presented with a fresh serving of these...

It was quite a spread actually... and the food just kept coming.

And of course, any time you are meeting with Clients in the Russia/C.I.S. countries... eventually you will have to make the choice - Cognac or Vodka?

I did return safely by the way... thank you for that :)

shortyb

Reaction score
Looks like a great trip! Can't wait till my daughter is old enough to fish. I need to spend some time in the area, I'm so close yet don't get out there enough. Love the colors on those fish, healthy for sure.

The lack of rainbows is a good thing, and as far as I know it's a kill all non natives in the park this year. So any Lakers,brookies, rainbows, browns, should be harvested. Check the regs but I'm 90% sure.

countr21

Reaction score
Wow :yikes:

That spread for lunch looks like it would take a weekend to sleep off......or to hike three miles down the trail :eek:

Again, well done!!

dean_mt

Reaction score
When I think about my daughter when she is a teenager (I've got a while still) I just hope and pray that she doesn't hate me, let alone that she will go fishing with me for a weekend! Congrats man, you've done well.