help picking a rod

dbushard88

Reaction score
Im new to the sport an looking for help on what kind of rod and weight to get Ill mostly be fishing trout and pan fish in michigan, any one have any suggestions.
Thanks

O

okuma

An all around rod...8.5 to 9 foot 5 weight. reel....good drag system. line...WFF. The brands depend on your budget. tight lines! mike

ab4usa

Reaction score
The standard seems to be a 9' 5 weight rod. That said, there is nothing wrong with a 4 weight for your target species. Good inexpensive fly rods are going to be in the $175 to $200 range new, less used. If you choose new the two that I would consider are the St Croix Imperial and the Winston Passport. My personal choice would be the St Croix because it is still make in the US but that's just me. You should try to find a shop where you can test cast them and probably get a bit of free coaching at the same time. A good rod will make the learning curve easier. Almost any reel will do as your target species are not going to be testing the reel's drag. A good line will also facilitate learning. Until recently that ment a $60 line, however Allen (an advertiser here) and Hook & Hackle now offer some good lines at a much lower price.

oregonism

Reaction score
A lot of the introductory rods have very friendly actions, and are probably worth checking out. I have a couple cheapo Pflueger 5-weights that I picked up as beater rods and for friends to learn on. They are surprisingly good for the money and a breeze to cast. They don't "track" as well as higher end rods, but they are certainly workable, and I've caught loads of fish on them.

I'd mainly just look for something that you can learn on before you blow a lot of money on a new sport. As far as lines and reels, I've never had problems casting the cheaper Scientific Anglers, RIO or Orvis lines. And a reel for smaller fish is just there to hold line and backing. No need to break the bank.