pike and bass fly line question

cidme

Reaction score
I am looking for a new floating line geared more towards pike an bass. I see SA makes a line for each, but I was wondering whats the biggest difference between their Bass bug taper line and their Pike/Muskie line? My thought is that if the Pike line can toss those big nasty flies with no problems then it should work just as well for the bigger bass flies. Am I wrong? Or is there more to it?

Cid

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The main thing is the core. The core of the Muskie Taper is designed to work optimally in cool to warm conditions. The core in the Bass Taper is designed to work in warm to hot conditions.

MP

raindogt

Reaction score
The main thing is the core. The core of the Muskie Taper is designed to work optimally in cool to warm conditions. The core in the Bass Taper is designed to work in warm to hot conditions.

MP
Seriously??? Can you qualify 'work' in the given conditions?

How does the core differ with regard to temps?

Not doubting you-- I just don't know enough about fly lines-- Is it suppleness and memory, perhaps?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Seriously??? Can you qualify 'work' in the given conditions?

How does the core differ with regard to temps?

Not doubting you-- I just don't know enough about fly lines-- Is it suppleness and memory, perhaps?
The core in the bass line is stiffer. When exposed to warmer temperatures it will not go limp.

MP

Last edited:

raindogt

Reaction score
That makes sense. It amazes me how much there is to learn with regards to this crazy addiction.

To the OP-- sorry to derail your thread. ;)

cidme

Reaction score

MP
I should have added that I live in upstate NY and in the peak of summer it only gets high eighties, water in the 70's. Will that really affect the way a pike line would work?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I would err towards using a bass taper line. It should work for those temperatures. A person who could probably comment on this better than I is Diver Dan. He's a big fan of the SA Mastery Muskie/Pike Line.

MP

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I have used both lines and like them. MoscaPescador brings up a good point about temperature. The Pike/Musky taper is designed for cooler water. You could use the Pike/Musky line in warmer water and it would still work for you, but you probably wouldn't like the Bass taper as much in cold water. The thing I like about the pike line is that it will turn over a really serious fly, and has a really thin running line. I can put a heavy, soggy fly like the Reynold's Pike fly really far out there. If you don't plan to fish cold water or gigantic flies, either line will be fine. I hope this helps.

cidme

Reaction score
I have used both lines and like them. MoscaPescador brings up a good point about temperature. The Pike/Musky taper is designed for cooler water. You could use the Pike/Musky line in warmer water and it would still work for you, but you probably wouldn't like the Bass taper as much in cold water. The thing I like about the pike line is that it will turn over a really serious fly, and has a really thin running line. I can put a heavy, soggy fly like the Reynold's Pike fly really far out there. If you don't plan to fish cold water or gigantic flies, either line will be fine. I hope this helps.
I will be fishing gen-x bunnys and some decent size divers. What do you consider cold water? So you think the pike is the better all around choice?

thanks

TB3

Reaction score
I'd probably go with the pike/musky line then, wet bunny strips are awfully heavy and wind resistant, like casting a wet mop.

Gar

Reaction score
I use the Pike Taper in temps from 30 -100 and have never noticed a problem in casting. I use the same reel and line for stealhead in the spring to pike in the summer. I also used it in Florida this year in July for snook. I purchase a new line each year primarily from the abuse it takes on the rocks and rivers I fish. This line is used for ten inch streamers for pike and size 6 leeches for salmon in the fall. It is the ONLY line I use as a floating line.
My history would say in the midwest you should opt for the pike, as their will be cases where the bass will not have the grunt to throw big stuff.

cidme

Reaction score
what brand of line is prefered SA, Rio or something else? Also I am using an 8wt rod but I overline it with a 9wt SL at the moment to get it to load better (I am new to the sport so feeling it load helps). Is this a bad practice to get into? Should I overline when I get a Pike line? :confused:

Thanks

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I like the SA Mastery the best of the ones I've tried. I don't over line myself. It really depends on the rod. Not all makers rate their rods right. There is a system called the common cents system to tell how your rod should be rated. Many many rods have been checked and yours may be listed. Tell me the exact rod you have and I'll look it up. My own preferance though, if I was going to do something other than what the rod was rated for would be underline it one. Generally I just use what it's rated for. If you are just doing to feel it load, big flies for pike (like bunny strip flies) usually do that for you regardless of the line.

Gar

Reaction score
I use a Temple Forks tcrxi 8 weight. I use a 9 weight pike taper. Primarily because the majority of my fishing is from a pontoon and I only need to cast 20 feet. The 9 weight means more weight with less line to help the rod load better.
I use this set up all the time though. Whether wading or fishing from a boat. I can cast a full line with no fly on it and about 70 with a big pike fly. Big being about ten inches and a mass of fluff.