Invasive Species Discussion

cattech89

Reaction score
It seems that didymo has has been coming up in my conversations and in threads that Ive been reading more and more and more. To me, since this is quickly becoming a topic that we are all affected by, whether we like it or not, there should be one central location that we can discuss the latest developments.
Thoughts? Good Idea, Yes, No?

Last edited:

troutslayer

Reaction score
We could but it's a mute issue here in Maryland. THE DNR pased a law making felt soled waders illegal as of March 21st. They are giving warnings this year because they passed the law without passing what fines would be assessed. Starting in 2012 they will give citations if you have felt soled bottoms. They have found didymo in one of the rivers I fish in, the lower Savage River in Western Maryland. I find the bootom/stockingfoot wader combo more comfortable than the boot/wader combo but I had just bought a pair of Orvis waders with felt soled bottoms a couple of years ago. I fish Pennsylvania as well and they are still legal up there.

cattech89

Reaction score
After thinking about this through the night I realized that the thread was probably a little unneccessary. Ill probably have one of the mods delete it.
Thanks for your input guys.

milt spawn

Reaction score
Maybe a thread about all invasives would be better, not just limited to didymo. And felt soles and waders are not the only way these species are transported. There are quagga mussels, NZ mud snails, eurasian milfoil, etc... that threaten fisheries all over and any enlightenment couldn't hurt. milt.

vivid2012

Reaction score
Maybe a thread about all invasives would be better, not just limited to didymo. And felt soles and waders are not the only way these species are transported. There are quagga mussels, NZ mud snails, eurasian milfoil, etc... that threaten fisheries all over and any enlightenment couldn't hurt. milt.
Yup, an invasives thread? Sounds cool.

troutslayer

Reaction score
Could be a good idea. Maryland DNR is not certain that it is carried through felt soles but sure enough to take steps to try to control the spread. Based on their expertise they have to try. Not a lot of anglers happy with it because of the additional costs to re- buy waders but what can you do? Hopefully it will turn out to be at least part of the solution. The river that is affected here, as I said in a previous post, is the lower Savage River, the tailwaters of the Savage River Dam. Alll browns and brookies are naturally reproducing and no stocking is done there. If the didymo covers all the bug life on the bottom of the river, then the fish have nothing to eat and it will become an empty river. I'm not an expert in these matters but if it will help stop the spread of this, then I'm in. (I did just order some new stockingfoot waders, used to have felt sole bood/wader combo. Now I have the lug sole with the cleats as well) Glad I still had some Christmas gift money left over!

MTskibum

Reaction score
Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texa
It occurred to me the other day that with all the talk about didymo, I hadn't heard anything recently about whirling disease and I was wondering if it wasn't the issue that it was 15-20 years ago.

Harmful Aquatic Hitchhikers: Others: Whirling Disease

Whirling Disease and Colorado's Trout - Colorado Division of Wildlife

Pretty much every river in southwest montana has been hit hard by whirling disease.

The biggest surprise is that the rainbow trout population has started to rebound in the Madison River, Vincent said. He first noticed around 1991 that young rainbow trout populations were showing large declines in the upper Madison River. By 1994, they had fallen by 90 percent. Now, despite a high rate of infection and significant inbreeding, the rainbow trout population in the upper Madison is 60 to 70 percent of what it was before it started to crash.

He doesn't know of any other stream in the Intermountain West that has recovered on its own, Vincent said.

"Clearly, we got lucky," he commented. "If it hadn't been for resistance, it wouldn't be looking like it did. Who would have guessed?"

Four years ago, Vincent announced the discovery of rainbow trout that were somewhat resistant to whirling disease.

"They are not absolutely resistant, but they are significantly resistant," Vincent said recently.
MSU News Service - Whirling disease researchers optimistic about Montana's trout

Rainbow trout and cutthroat trout appear to be more susceptible than other trout species. Brown trout become infected with the parasite, but they appear to have immunity to the infection and have not been as greatly impacted as rainbow trout. Scientific studies have demonstrated that grayling and bull trout are very resistant to infection.
Harmful Aquatic Hitchhikers: Others: Whirling Disease

This is why if you fish in most rivers in southwest montana you will catch many browns to every rainbow.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
As of today didymo has been confirmed to be in Connecticut's Farmington River, a popular tail water and one of the highest quality trout streams in the northeast.

You can read the official press release in posted the Northeast forum under the title "The Farmington"

cattech89

Reaction score
I know that Didymo has been confirmed in the Elk River around Webster Springs and some other smaller creeks. Ive reached out to the DNR and asked for a current update on the progression of the infestation of this and other invasive species.
One other species that has received some close attention in Virginia and Maryland is the Snakehead fish. At this point the only info the DNR has released is that there have not been any confirmed reports of the fish being caught however there have been fish found in a home aquarium and in a pet shop.
This is a cause of concern because of the ecological impact these vicious predators can have on the habitats they are introduced to. They have no natural predators and can live and travel on land for up to four days as long as they are wet.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmU7etSYYqI"]Here's[/ame] a video from National Geographic that was pretty interesting.

wjc

Reaction score
Invasive species are so common in the Keys, the Everglades and South Florida that young people, who have never seen a bream, would think they are an invasive specie if there were any left. Now there are snakeheads, three of four kinds of tilapia, circlips, peacock bass, lionfish on the reefs, pythons and anacondas, poisionous toads or frogs, 9 pound african rats in the keys, iguanas and monitor lizzards, and a huge variety of other tropical fish, birds minnows and snakes.

It's the same with plants, water hycinth, water orchids, hydrilla, mellaluca, the list would fill a book.

Nearly all from the exotic pet trade or aquariums. It's absurd.

For two or three years now, the fed and state task forces have been spending our money trying to poison all the giant rats that the hordes of feral cats are afraid of. All because some idiot was raising them in Grassy Key (perfectly fine and legal) then let them all go (perfectly fine and legal I assume since he's never even gone to court). He certainly wouldn't be able to afford to pay the cost of getting rid of them and I'm sure it's too late for that now anyhow. Surely a pregnant one made it to the mainland by now in a garbage truck or somebody's boat.

There is no hope when we have idiots in charge of writing policy and laws without penalties for other idiots.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
We have spiny water flea here. It's not something you would notice as a fly fisherman, but if you troll crankbaits here you notice it pretty fast. They collide with the line, slide down to the lure and end up looking like a slimy spike covered wad that has been sprinkled with pepper (eyes). We also have the Rusty Crayfish pretty well established here. The spiny water flea can have some very nasty effects on a system. They prey on plankton small fish need. small fish that eat them can have internal organs punctured by the spiny tail they have, which if fatal. It can disrupt the food chain from the bottom up. Some places it has been really bad, others it hardly seems to have made a difference. Only time will tell how it effects the waters here.