What Line?

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
What line would you use for a 11' 6wt Z-Axis switch rod? I know it seems like a silly question, but I have seen so many conflicting line recommendations when it comes to switch rods...

Thanks,
Dan

sandfly

Reaction score
What ever you feel comfortable with, each person casts different from the next guy. so pick a line you feel good with. I use double tapers on my switch rod.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
What line would you use for a 11' 6wt Z-Axis switch rod? I know it seems like a silly question, but I have seen so many conflicting line recommendations when it comes to switch rods...

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,
Your line choice is going to depend on how you want to cast it.

Overhead - Rio Outbound WF8
Skagit - Rio Skagit Short 325 grain or 375 grain
Scandi - Rio AFS 4/5 (300 grain) or 5/6 (340 grain)
Nymph - Rio Steelhead/Atlantic Salmon WF9F, Rio Indicator WF8F, SA Mastery or Sharkskin WF9F, Sage Nymph WF6F (260 grain)

I use two lines for my Z-Axis 6 weight switch. For Spey, I cast Skagit style using the 325 grain Rio Skagit Short with 15 foot Versitips or a 10 foot piece of T-14. Rio is now recommending the use of 10 foot Versileaders, but I have not tried that. I also use the Sage Nymph WF6F (260 grain line) for indicator fishing.

Personal biases can apply to two handers like they do to single handers. The Nor Cal Rio rep likes using 375 grain Skagit Short and the 5/6 AFS. For me, those lines cause the rod to bend too far down the blank for my liking.

Airflo makes its Compact Skagit and Compact Scandi lines. I have not tried those out yet, but I understand those are good lines for switch and shorter Spey rods. Choose your line size in the same grain weight window as you would with the Rio lines.

I hope that this helps.

MP

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, I still have a lot to mull over...:) My main use of the rod I mentioned will be for swinging flies, but; if I run across an area that would be better suited to indis I would fish that way. I usually hike in quite aways on the streams I fish if possible, so I don't really want to carry a lot of extras...

Dan

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
When I hike around with my switch rod, I just use the Skagit Short with the different tips. If I come to a place that I would rather nymph, I will put on the floating tip and indo-fish with that setup. It slings indos and hardware decently, but because of the short head, line control isn't that great.

I had a conversation with a friend of mine who fishes switch rods religiously. He fishes both Skagit and Scandi styles. Instead of using one piece lines, he uses Skagit and Scandi shooting heads with a .030" running line. He has a shooting head wallet full of 10' polyleaders, various T-14 lengths, and the shooting head that he is not using. That wallet fits easily in the front of his waders.

You can get Skagit and Scandi shooting heads in many brands. Rio has its Skagit Short and AFS lines in shooting heads. Beulah makes its Tonic and Elixir switch lines in shooting heads. Airflo makes its Compact Scandi and Compact Skagit in shooting heads. That way you can have versatility.

MP

Bigfly

Reaction score
Dan, put a 9wt Steelhead taper on my 6wt for indies, and find I don't want to fish a short rod.
Got a skagit short 375 and versaleaders for 10 and 15ft. Still testing, but does cast farther than Steel/Salmon taper. Mosca, may be right about the extra 50 grains.
I just enjoy mending and roll casting, whether fish pay attention or not!
Fished short rods most of the winter, so glad flows are coming up now.

Jim

Last edited: