Any decent beginner setups?

andrewzw

Reaction score
I'm 14 years old and I've always wanted to get into fly fishing. I usually do ultralight lake trout fishing.

Looking for a beginner setup for around $200 including everything if that's possible.

Cabela's Prestige® Fly-Fishing Outfits

Is something like that okay? Or any recommendations?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcomean Andy!glad to see a little young blood here:D you should find good deals for $200...don't know Cabela's products...you could have a look on e bay too;)

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Andy. I'm new to fly fishing as well... just caught my first fish the other day on my third outing with a fly rod.

This is the one I picked up from Cabelas. Cabela's Three Forks/Prestige Plus Fly Combo with Fly Line

I bought the 8'6" 5wt and so far I love it, although I can't compare it against anything else. The kit you linked to is alright, if you want all that stuff. Personally, I'd get the one I linked to and then you still have 120 to spend to get some hip waders, a vest, all the tools you need, plus some tippets in various sizes... you could even get a couple fly boxes and some flies...

That's just my opinion and I'm sure others will be along to give recommendations. Again, :welcome: and enjoy your stay.

- Justin

bekiu002

Reaction score
I got the three forks 8'6 6wt/prestige plus reel is what I started out with. I thought it was a very good beginner set up. Very easy to learn to cast with.

There is a thread on here in the Fly Gear FAQ section that lists what a lot of the fly fishing veterans of this site would suggest. Some of the set ups are around the same price as the one you listed but wouldn't come with all the extra gear. This FAQ section has a lot of good information that helped me out a lot when I first started.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-fishing-gear-faq/3255-what-good-low-cost-outfit-beginner.html

Good luck!
Cabot

flytyer_neal

Reaction score
That looks like a very good beginner setup. When I started up again after 20 years, I went to....( it's almost hard to say now ) Walmart, and got a south bend set up.....horrid.....but it did get me into my first fish....and now the rest is bug chucking history....now i had a friend who did the same, but he bought a real expensive set up.....about 1,000.00 set up.....and now he doesn't even wet a line anymore. I call all the time, and he blows it off.....I guess my thought is get a decent setup to make sure you have the bug...( pun intended ) then hold on to your wallet.....( my wife does that for me ) I personally have never been happier.

andrewzw

Reaction score
I probably won't be purchasing for a while though so I figured I'd get an idea. I'm still trying to learn about fly fishing in general. I've only done it once before a year ago in Oregon with my cousin and I loved it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2SgcCw6I8M"]YouTube- Fly Fishing Lessons - Part 1[/ame]

Was watching those yesterday also, I'm assuming it's relevant to today's fly fishing.

Thanks simmons, that looks like a pretty good rod and thanks bekiu, I'll check out that section and link.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
I own a Cabelas Three Forks rod. A 3 wt. 7'6" lightweight rod. I like it pretty well and would feel good about recommending that rod line to other people, plus it's dang affordable.

If you are intent on getting a whole setup I would really recommend the TFO beginners kit they have. It is about 200 bucks, but the rod is one that you could really grow with, they are a good reputable company.

andrewzw

Reaction score
I own a Cabelas Three Forks rod. A 3 wt. 7'6" lightweight rod. I like it pretty well and would feel good about recommending that rod line to other people, plus it's dang affordable.

If you are intent on getting a whole setup I would really recommend the TFO beginners kit they have. It is about 200 bucks, but the rod is one that you could really grow with, they are a good reputable company.
Cabela's -- TFO NXT Combo

This one?

flatslandercp

Reaction score
Dorian makes a good point about the NXT combo being capable of meeting your fishing needs for a long time. The NXT is the Professional series TFO rod with a decent disk drag reel. The Pro is our most popular rod line and fits the casting ability of the widest range of anglers.

With a decent level of maintenance on the reel - rinse and lube it now and again - and cleaning and dressing the line a few times each year, you'll get 5-10 years out of the line and the rod and reel will last almost forever.

And it comes with a lifetime warranty, even against car doors, ceiling fans, and Labrador retrievers.

Truth in advertising statement - I'm on the TFO Pro Staff. But I don't fish TFO just because I'm on their Pro Staff, I'm on their Pro Staff because I fish them.

Craig

mojo

Reaction score
Or, you can get this
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ly-fishing-wff-wfs-dff-line-sale-9-50usd.html

And this
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ew-xl-series-cnc-fly-reel-discount-48usd.html

and with the $150 you saved, get one of these and have some bucks left over.
Greys G-Series Fly Rod - CLOSEOUT : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

I like the reel from Allen & Co., Joni has a Grey's in a 3/4 that she likes and for a beginner, the line couldn't be much cheaper.

And if you don't like fly fishing, you're not out a lot, but you'll have a decent rod and reel to try again a few years from now.

andrewzw

Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone. Looks like it won't cost too much for a beginner setup.

I'll keep this thread in mind when I make a purchase.

diverdown

Reaction score
I can second Mojo's opinion of the Allen reels.....well made with a nice drag. I just ordered some of his WFF line for the 5wt reel I purchased and wish the snow would stop so I could try them out.

Although Sage does not make them anymore, check ebay for one of their "Launch" rods. Very nice rod for a beginner, albeit a bit more money than the rod Mojo recommended.

~S