Using normal Mono Line for leader?

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I was wondering, other then presentation is a tapered leader critical? I was thinking the other day about how I have caught plenty of fish on 20+ lbs line, and was thinking maybe I can use heavier line as a leader. I am guessing a comment about how the taper helps unroll the line. Just think having a roll of mono could be used in a pinch and do ok.. am I thinking on the right track?
thanks
Mike

Davo

Reaction score
It depends on what your cast fly wise. Not so good for dries and light nymphs. It works okay for streamers and weight flies. My streamer leaders are just 3ft of 20lbs and 3ft of 12lbs. I only use tapered for dries and that is more out of convenience. I could tie my own but am too lazy!! LOL. But with light flies you need the taper to unroll right as you guessed.

only adipose

Reaction score
I googled and found some models. Got a bunch of different floro, and tied some up. I started from the models i found and then would adjust while fishing. When you make them yourself and constantly adjust you it becomes clear why you need the taper and what kind of taper you need for different situations. Then, at least for me, I would adjust and adjust till i came up with exactly what i like. Now i have quite a selection and am ready no matter the water. And there are times that a single piece of line does the trick.

Jimmie

Reaction score
What Davo said^^^. Mono is all I use for streamers. Got a spool of 8 lb with me. The intermediate sink spool that I've got already has 3' of 12 lb on the fly line.

joshuanoerr

Reaction score
I've tied my own leaders, and I've purchased them. For me, I would just rather buy them and keep moving. Sounds kind of lazy I know, just works for me.

lancer09

Reaction score
I make all my own, and alwasy have. It's just a lot easier. Spin fishing quite a bit means I have accumulated thousands and thousands of yards of line so I just use it and usually use three or four sections. I don't think I catch any fewer fish than someone who buys them. Now that's not to say I wouldn't use flouro if I ever had it, I just am too cheap to buy it so i just use mono because it's a LOT cheaper.

Shane Stroud

Reaction score
I make most of my own leaders, mostly furled, some twisted, and a few knotted, but different leaders have different uses. I even use just a three foot piece of monofilament, fluorocarbon, or super thin braided steel, depending upon where I'm fishing and what I'm trying to catch.

That said, you're going to hear people who claim that there's no place in fly fishing for a level leader. I beg to differ. Some heavy streamers work very well with a short, level leader of fluoro or mono.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
thanks folks, I will be posting my first fly catch, that aside todays day at the pond was fun, lots of casting practice. I did cut down a leader while running through differnt flys, I plan to tie up new tippet on the leader I cut back, so i will try some mono I have. lots to learn
mike

mbphotos54

Reaction score
Mike

What is your target species and what flies are you using?
until the water in the creek goes down a bit so i can try for trout, My goal thus far was just to catch something. I was fishing a small pond with bass, crappie, bluegills and such.. and HUGE grass **** which I may target later with a grass fly pattern I am making. the flys I use right now are mostly floating bugs, dragon flies, and some furry black and brown things. and a small yellow popper. I am post a pic of the lineup??
mike

Davo

Reaction score
mb

Congrats on the first catch!!! Look forward to hearing more success stories. I tried to check out you blog but it would not let me in. May be that you have the settings tweaked wrong. I got this message when I tried

Davo, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I'd really like to follow your blog. I have one up as do a few others and would like to see more people participate in that section of the forum.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
mb

Congrats on the first catch!!! Look forward to hearing more success stories. I tried to check out you blog but it would not let me in. May be that you have the settings tweaked wrong. I got this message when I tried

Davo, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I'd really like to follow your blog. I have one up as do a few others and would like to see more people participate in that section of the forum.
ill look at my setting, I thought I had it set to all members can see it.. and guest. thanks!.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

ok should be fixed now.

L

Liphookedau

Hi mbphotos54.
For years thats all that was available,after Catgut,an english guy called Charles Ritz invented a good system if you want to tie your own,Google "ritz leaders",they are really fidegety,however like others I mostly buy Tapered Mono Leaders & modify them.
A trick I learnt from a good mate,he picked from a Kiwi Guide is to tie Fluoro Tipits onto the a Tapered Mono head ,it's easier to tie as well as it doesn't get the Wind Knots,also you can add what any size,length you need.
Cheers.
Brian.

wjc

Reaction score
The only problem with hand-tied tapered leaders is that the knots can pick up grass. So when fishing for some species in grass, or where there is going to be floating bay grass, I use a knotless tapered leader, and add onto it so I only have one knot.

Cheers,
Jim

L

Liphookedau

wjc You are correct in saying they pick up grass,also there are quite a few knots which sometimes mean big trouble.

Another site "hipwaders.com/2003leader formula chart
Some info Cast Head Size:0-6 Lines 0.021-0.024 thou
7,8,9 Lines 0.025-0.026 thou
Over 9 Lines 0.028 thou
A good Cast Formula,I also obtained from a 1986 Edition of The American Fly Fisherman Magazine,lots use it,me included,it is 65% -25%- 10%.
Brian.

O

okuma

Personally, I use a furled leader(6 foot) and 36 inches of trilene xl mono. 2 lb. for my drys, 6 lb. for streamers

L

Liphookedau

I bought some Furled leaders in different lengths,weights,made from Mono & Waxed Thread, last year & have only used them a couple of times with my smaller size Rods,hopefully I will getr to use them later this year.
Brian.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
ok im lost, what is a furled leader? sorry if this is else where. I have noticed the grass snagging of my flyline to leader knot.. it also doesnt feed into the eyes very good and the tag ends are short.. might try the knotless stuff I picked up..