Mini Practice Fly Rod

littledavid123

Reaction score
Ladies/Gents

I have a friend who was crippled from a motorcycle incident many years ago and he is interested in fly fishing. His muscle coordination is not good but with practice I think he could cast a fly rod. He has an office job with the space and time to practice while at work.

On to my question, are those mini practice fly rods a good tool to help one learn proper casting skills? If they do work I might get one just to play with as a stress reliever.

Dave

mojo

Reaction score
David, If you're talking the Echo practice rod, it is pretty cool. The yarn "line" is thick and it is tough going through the guide which I think gives it the feel of a real line and rod albeit smaller. I also thinks it gives you muscle memory. For $30 or so, it might be a good idea to help your friend.

darwin

Reaction score
I agree they are well worth the using. They will help with muscle memory and timing as Mojo stated. I know 3 certified casting instructors that use them in their classes. Best wishes to your friend.

silver creek

Reaction score
As you probably know, the Echo MPR (Micro Practice Rod) is a copy of the Wulff Fly-O Practice Rod, invented by Lee and Joan Wulff. The Wulff fly-O used a section of red tow yarn for the line. The Echo MPR uses a section of yellow macrame cord whipped to a section of tow yarn for the leader section. I have an MPR that I use for demos.

Back in the late 1970's I used just a length of tow yarn and the top section of a two piece light spinning rod. You can also use the top half of a fly rod to practice.

There is really no need to even make a special rod when using tow yarn or macrame cord to simulate the fly line. If you have some macrame cord or something similar, you might want to give that a try before spending the money on an MPR.

There is also another casting tool called a "Spey-O in this issue of The Loop.

wjc

Reaction score
The Mini Practice Rod is also a great tool to frustrate cats.
:D

No kidding! A friend of mine has a cat that goes beserk when he grabs a fly rod off his rack when we head out to go fishing. It acts lilke my dogs did when they saw me with a shotgun or smelled Hoppe's #9 on me.

Cheers,
Jim

Rip Tide

Reaction score
:D
No kidding! A friend of mine has a cat that goes beserk when he grabs a fly rod off his rack when we head out to go fishing.
I can't practice cast in the back yard anymore. We have 5 cats and they come running when they see a fly rod :D

Pocono

Reaction score
I have one and like it. I keep it in the loft above our garage and every morning when I go to work (pardon........went to work ;)), I'd cast for 5-10 minutes with it. Same thing when I returned home. I think it's a great casting supplement for those Winter days when you can't easily get outside.

Pocono

littledavid123

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions, looks like my friend will be trying to duck the boss while practicing in the office...lol :D

Dave

busbus

Reaction score
Back in the late 1970's I used just a length of tow yarn and the top section of a two piece light spinning rod. You can also use the top half of a fly rod to practice.

There is really no need to even make a special rod when using tow yarn or macrame cord to simulate the fly line. If you have some macrame cord or something similar, you might want to give that a try before spending the money on an MPR.

Hello, Silver Creek.

I know this is a really old thread. :)

What is "Tow Yarn"? I can't seem to open the link. And which is better? Tow yarn or macrame cord?

I want to try to make one of these things. How short of a rod would work?

Thanks,
ray

silver creek

Reaction score
Hello, Silver Creek.

I know this is a really old thread. :)

What is "Tow Yarn"? I can't seem to open the link. And which is better? Tow yarn or macrame cord?

I want to try to make one of these things. How short of a rod would work?

Thanks,
ray
G'day Ray!

The cheapest option may be to write Rajeff Sports at info@rajeffsports.com for the latest pricing on a replacement "line" for the MPR. It was $10 before shipping cost back in january of 2011.

If you want to make your own "fly line" just like the MPR line, you will need macrame cord and tow yarn which is also know as gift wrapping yarn. You can see that tow yarn is what we used to make egg flies "back in the day," before they came up with special egg yarns for that. The fly shops called it "Tow Yarn" to hide the fact that it was gift wrapping yarn. I used to buy it at the gift wrapping section of Hallmark Stores when it was popular.

Macrame cord is also what is used for the polypropylene yarn strike indicators so pick the color you want for strike indicators if you are going to buy and make your own MPR fly line.

You can see that the MPR fly line is yellow macrame cord with two strand tow yarn tapering to a single strand of yarn.

Macrame Cord:

Bonnie Braid 6mm Cord - 100 yd - Macrame Super Store from Pepperell Braiding

Macrame Rings | Cording for Macrame & Knot Crafts | ConsumerCrafts

Gift Tying/Tow yarn:

Pak it Products Gift Tie Yarn

Yarn

busbus

Reaction score
Thanks, silver!

I have an old 4' 6" ultra light spinning rod that my daughter used when she was a munchkin...actually, she never stopped using it until she "outgrew" fishing at 16 years old. I have all the faith in the world she will find her way back but, until then, that rod is MINE! :icon_lol:

I may take the advice on getting the replacement line because it costs as much as buying the other yarn--even if I get a lot more. It just isn't worth it.

I have three more questions:

1. Where do you tie the line onto the spinning rod?

2. This rod seems extremely, well, I don't know how to describe it. I tried casting with nothing on it and the tip kept wiggling for a little while after both the back cast and the forward cast. Is this not a good choice for a practice rod?

3. Finally, I assume you can practice false casting and double hauling with this outfit? I know these probably aren't the "best" thing to be practicing but I figured I would ask. I have a nice 35-40 foot, uh, space to toss line into. (Who cares if it IS over a dining room table, the sofa, several Lenox vases, and a fat cat? If a vase falls, I blame the cat.)

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I was wondering if such a thing existed. sounds like alot of fun for goofing around and teaching indoors.. may have to experiment
Mike

silver creek

Reaction score
Thanks, silver!

I have three more questions:

1. Where do you tie the line onto the spinning rod?

2. This rod seems extremely, well, I don't know how to describe it. I tried casting with nothing on it and the tip kept wiggling for a little while after both the back cast and the forward cast. Is this not a good choice for a practice rod?

3. Finally, I assume you can practice false casting and double hauling with this outfit? I know these probably aren't the "best" thing to be practicing but I figured I would ask. I have a nice 35-40 foot, uh, space to toss line into. (Who cares if it IS over a dining room table, the sofa, several Lenox vases, and a fat cat? If a vase falls, I blame the cat.)
1. You don't tie the line to the rod. You string up the rod just like you would with regular fly and grab the macrame end of the fly line against the rod with your casting hand.

2. I am getting the impression that your daughter's rod is solid fiberglass "Snoopy" type of children's rod. You can use just the upper section of an adult spinning rod instead. Before using it indoors, be sure you won't mind if your daughter accidentally breaks it.

3. Whether you can double haul depends on the size of the rod guides and tip top guide. They are usually too small to allow an actual double haul. But by holding the line in your non rod hand instead of against the rod, you can usually slip some line into the cast.